Sponsored by:

to add or not........to oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:11 PM
maci911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to add or not........to oil change

i am in the process of changing my oil DIY ....should i add Lucas Oil stabilizer....any opinion.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:49 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the oil that you put need stabilization?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

There's only one question you have to ask when considering an additive: "Why doesn't the oil I'm buying already have this?"

Because the oil is better off without it.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Several times I've been at local Porsche dealership where I live...

Originally Posted by maci911
i am in the process of changing my oil DIY ....should i add Lucas Oil stabilizer....any opinion.
Livermore CA and have spotted Swepco oil additive bottle on parts counter as part of a "tune up" kit. Kit includes oil filter, air filter, and oil additive and Swepco gas additivie.

Spoke to shop foreman about this and he said if one doesn't drive car very often or very regularly the Swepco oil treatment helps quiet the engine upon startup. Given I drive my car frequently he advised against using it in my case.

As for the gas additive he says he uses in his car (not a Porsche) every so often to help keep fuel system clean.

I've never used any oil additive but do follow a 5000 mile oil/filter service schedule, which can see the oil changed on the 23rd of Dec. and then again on the 2nd of Jan. as was the case this year when I left on the 24th on a nearly 5000 mile road trip in the car and returned New Year's Eve. I managed to get car into my place of work -- during off hours -- where I could change the oil/filter.

I've used Techron once in a great while such as after a AOS fed engine some oil or to try to clean engine/o2/converters to help engine pass emissions test. I've never used Swepco gas additive, though I might try it to see if I can notice any difference/improvement.

Give the Lucas stuff a miss.

Try Swepco oil additive -- if you're feeling experiemental -- if you do not drive car all that often, if it sits unused long periods of time. I'd be interested in knowing if it does help quiet engine upon cold start.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on Bob is the Oil Guy, it's a great site for this stuff if you're into a bit of reading.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:30 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:47 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by salayc
+1 on Bob is the Oil Guy, it's a great site for this stuff if you're into a bit of reading.
Glad others have already beaten me to putting up a bitog link.

Quick Reply: to add or not........to oil change