Sponsored by:

3-spoke vs. 4-spoke Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3-spoke vs. 4-spoke Steering Wheel

When I was searching for my 996, one of the things I simply had to have was a 3-spoke steering wheel. From looking around, I found that a smaller percentage of the cars had 3-spokes, less in the 99s than in the 00s, but obviously they were there, and numerous.

Well eventually I found my baby with a 3-spoke, but along the way one dealer had the ***** to tell me that the 996 Mk.I simply did not ever come with a 3-spoke steering wheel. Bull****, didn't talk to him anymore.

So just two things I'm a little curious about: I'm guessing the 3-spoke was an option, but was it part of a package or what, and what are the opinions of you gents; 3-spoke or 4-spoke?
Old 01-09-2009, 10:29 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This is an interesting question. Initially, I was going to say that the '99 -'01 models came with the 4-spoke wheel, but after checking the PET, I see that 3-spoke wheels are listed for those years. I also noticed that there is a different part number for the 3-spoke '99 wheel and the '00 - '04 wheel, so some change in the 3-spoke design must have been made after the first year.

I don't have any Order Guide info for the 996 so I can't verify your supposition through those means.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:33 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure which years, but option IXPA, IXPB, IXPC, IXPD, and IXPG are all three spoke steering wheels.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 AM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had to have the three spoke wheel and did find it on my '99 C4. It is listed as an option on the option sticker do not have the option code right now but can get it if you need it.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the only reason I would need it is for curiosity's sake...though I guess I could send the option code to the dealership that said it didn't exist with a nasty letter, but I don't think I'm bitter enough for that.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Even though there are variants (mainly texture and type of cladding material) of the 3 spoke wheel from 99 to 05, they will all fit all years, and they will also fit the 993.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Couper
Intermediate

I have M436 3-spoke airbag wheel
Old 01-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

My car is a 2001, and when I was ordering it, the 3-spoke wheel was an option for a few hundred dollars, and the 4-spoke wheel was standard. Not seeing any advantage to the 3-spoke, I didn't order it. Some time after the car came in, I realized that the 3-spoke wheels came with a leather airbag center, and colored Porsche crest on it, wheras my airbag center was vinyl, with a debossed Porsche crest. Since I couldn't just replace the airbag center for mine with a leather one without also changing the steering wheel, I did so -- at a cost of nearly $1000. I wish my salesman had informed me of this difference when I was ordering my car. Anyone want to buy a graphite gray 4-spoke steering wheel and airbag center?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:57 PM
LJpete
Pro

Mine came with a 4 spoke. I quickly swapped in a 3 spoke bag from a fellow RL'er who was track building his car. Much better, and now I can actually see the warning lights at the bottom of the cluster.

If your car doesn't come with the 3 spoke, you can find them for fairly cheap now a days and they don't take more than 45 minutes to swap working slowly.

I highly recommend it if you are so inclined.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

3-spoke FTW!
Old 01-09-2009, 05:07 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave!
Well the only reason I would need it is for curiosity's sake...though I guess I could send the option code to the dealership that said it didn't exist with a nasty letter, but I don't think I'm bitter enough for that.
Dave,

Get on a few forums and you will easliy know more than most dealers. I too share your frustration. These guys are selling six figure vehicles, they have a lot of downtime, and most of them don't know their product. But that's the american way in sales now.

I remember when Radio Shack used to have real electronics guys working there, now I get some pimply faced kid that barely knows where anything is, much less what it's used for.

Try going to a Nissan dealer. Those guys barely know where the steering wheel is, much less what the options are!

Let it go...it's not worth your time.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:05 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

I have a 3-spoke steering wheel and I am very happy with it. I suspect it adds at least 35bhp in comparison to the 4-spoke variant.

(it looks much more better than the 4-spoker, to my about-to-be-LASIKed eyes)
Old 01-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

When I ordered my car I got the thicker 3 spoke wheel (X69) as it was good for 85HP.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
Dave,

Get on a few forums and you will easliy know more than most dealers. I too share your frustration. These guys are selling six figure vehicles, they have a lot of downtime, and most of them don't know their product. But that's the american way in sales now.

I remember when Radio Shack used to have real electronics guys working there, now I get some pimply faced kid that barely knows where anything is, much less what it's used for.

Try going to a Nissan dealer. Those guys barely know where the steering wheel is, much less what the options are!

Let it go...it's not worth your time.
+1 I could not agree more. The worst part is getting attitude when you point out their mistakes. Arrogance AND ignorance at the same time. My favorite combination.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Mathemagician
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you like the full color Porsche crest on the 3-spoke but have a 4-spoke, I saw a decent looking add-on for the 4-spoke for sale on a website recently. I've not seen it in person so can't vouch for it IRL. Still, if you're interested and can't find it let me know and I'll go dig it up.

Quick Reply: 3-spoke vs. 4-spoke Steering Wheel