Sponsored by:

A $600 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Yup, that's what I was afraid of! I got the front end way off the ground - almost to the limit of the jack and it still wasn't high enough to get the stands under the rear. I figured no good could come of going further and very slowly lowered the car for fear if it slipping.

I have to find some good ramps at some point.
Yeah, I needed 1 more inch to get the jack stnads in, praying it would not slip. The angle of the jack pad was pretty severe to the jacking point, I guess I didnt pray enough.......

I use rhino ramps and love them, unfortunately mine werent around at the time........
Old 01-04-2009, 11:18 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
996/997 Jack plate

Who sells this?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

CDOC.com
Old 01-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Navy'sporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

This thread is starting to be a back and forth issue but I only started the thread to bring up the point that the engine lift, while it might be acceptable, it isn't a Porsche approved procedure. Because its not always easy to find what is or isn't real a Porsche procedure I wanted it to be known. It is my opinion that if jacking the using the engine mount causes enough stress to burst a mount, whether used or not, it isnt one to be used regularly. As for me, I'm in the process of building ramps that raise the rear-wheels about 1-1.25 feet off the ground with a shallow angle appropriate for my ground clearance. That being said, anybody that doesnt follow the mainentce or repair schedules to the tee at Porsche certified locations is, according to Porsche, a "shade-tree mechanic". I do my own mainentence and repair to the extent I can and have no problem straying from Porsche recommendations assuming that it is well founded. I just dont think this is a well justified exception, from what I could tell, jacking from the engine wasn't necessary the safest or the least stressful on the car. Furthermore, I doubt that jacking from the single point on the back of the engine replicates even closely the force load that is applied to mounts under normal driving because all the force is located on the rear engine mounts and not on the additional transmission mounts.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy'sporsche
This thread is starting to be a back and forth issue but I only started the thread to bring up the point that the engine lift, while it might be acceptable, it isn't a Porsche approved procedure. Because its not always easy to find what is or isn't real a Porsche procedure I wanted it to be known. It is my opinion that if jacking the using the engine mount causes enough stress to burst a mount, whether used or not, it isnt one to be used regularly. As for me, I'm in the process of building ramps that raise the rear-wheels about 1-1.25 feet off the ground with a shallow angle appropriate for my ground clearance. That being said, anybody that doesnt follow the mainentce or repair schedules to the tee at Porsche certified locations is, according to Porsche, a "shade-tree mechanic". I do my own mainentence and repair to the extent I can and have no problem straying from Porsche recommendations assuming that it is well founded. I just dont think this is a well justified exception, from what I could tell, jacking from the engine wasn't necessary the safest or the least stressful on the car. Furthermore, I doubt that jacking from the single point on the back of the engine replicates even closely the force load that is applied to mounts under normal driving because all the force is located on the rear engine mounts and not on the additional transmission mounts.
The mount is the least of my worry......it is the case!

Hey, I resemble that comment in bold.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:18 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I make it a habit of staying out of such threads but I will chime in and say that when we raced my 996 we only used the engine jacking point when no other approach would work and then we did it very carefully.

To put our car on jackstands we used the rear jacking point and put one jackstand under the front jacking point and the other (with the cradle removed) over the bolt head near that rear jack point that holds the black brace that runs at a 45 degree angle from there to the cross member. It's hard to describe from memory and without pictures but it should be pretty obvious. This method was much faster and much much safer than putting the front on stands and using the engine to lift the rear.

Just my 2 cents worth. I'm probably wrong.
Jim

Last edited by JimB; 01-05-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

It is my opinion that if jacking the using the engine mount causes enough stress to burst a mount, whether used or not, it isnt one to be used regularly.
Just driving the car will cause enough stress to burst a mount too. In fact 90% of burst mounts are caused by just driving the car. Is this then an indirect endorsement of only using the car as a Garage Queen?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Well, thanks to the OP Navy for posting your experience.

I have a different technique for lifting the rear of my '62 Bug, but certainly have jacked the 996 this way to set up jackstands when changing out exhaust a couple times.
(I don't like ramps myself.)

Just good to be aware of this, and also to take a look at the mounts once in a while.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:28 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are these mounts known to fail?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

Originally Posted by v944god
Are these mounts known to fail?
Any motor mount is prone to failure. It's a wear and tear item.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like we have two distinct camps here....those who jack their cars up using the engine point, and those who feel that this is tantamount to heresy. I think Orient's intent was to provide us with an alternative to jacking up the car. Doing it this way takes both rear wheels off the ground at the same time and facilitates the insertion of the jack stands. Those who feel this contributes to engine mount failure may have a valid point....but I know of many professionals who use the engine jack procedure. Actually more guys I know use this procedure than those who don't.

I guess if you want to use the technique....go ahead and do so....if the thought of doing it this way raises your anxiety level....go the other route. I've been using Orient's method for some time now and have never had a problem. If I blow a mount....I'll fix it. This is almost becoming a Shakespearean.....Much Ado About Nothing.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:43 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Looks like we have two distinct camps here....

If I blow a mount....I'll fix it. This is almost becoming a Shakespearean.....Much Ado About Nothing.
And I always thought retired guys were uncouth ******! I guess I was mistaken!

Well, at least about the "uncouth" part anyway!

Last edited by gota911; 01-05-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Thanx for blowing my cover....You phallic symbol of a cranial extremity.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 01-05-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Thanx for blowing my cover....********.
Sorry about the blowing your cover.... I fixed it!

At least I gave you the opportunity to call me a ******** very early in the new year, so you should be happy about that!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Turn about is fair play....I fixed it too! Well....sorta'. Hope your new year brings you a GRREEAAT job...and you can get back into a P car.

Quick Reply: A $600 Oil Change