Sponsored by:

A $600 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Heppens more than appears in this forum. Only a fool would lift the car by the engine. Funny how it's always those who state that Porsche is smarter than they are when it comes to how to care for their car who ignore Porsche's specific warning not to use the engine to lift the car. It's all about common sense. Your kness can support 1,000 pounds of weight but will be destroyed with as little as 300 pounds of pull.
Just curious, why do you find it necessary to be insulting? Clearly Orient Express is not a fool. Isn't it a bit tiring always taking the low road?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Here is a question:

Is the engine hanging from the body, or is the body sitting on the engine?
Hangs
Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

why don't people just jack up one corner at a time by utilizing the body jack points that you use to change a wheel/tire? Is it tough to place stands in with that method?

J
Old 01-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JBRipps
why don't people just jack up one corner at a time by utilizing the body jack points that you use to change a wheel/tire? Is it tough to place stands in with that method?

J
Until I tried it myself I had the same question. The problem is the jack stands need to use the same points. You can get the fronts on jack stands using this technique. but need some way to lift the back to position the jack stands. I have seen longer access low profile jacks to reach the crossmember--might be my next investment.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I tried getting the car up on jack points this way, but could not get the rear of the car high enough to get the jack stands under - it was pretty scary.

The weight of the engine means that you end up jacking the front of the car WAY up there for a small lift at the rear. In the end I chickened out and put the car back down again. It was not a safe place to be when using a compact shop jack.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How about this?

996/997 Jack plate

Old 01-04-2009, 01:15 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
the weight of the (rear of the) car. It is designed to support the weight of the engine and of course to keep the engine properly located under normal and not so normal driving conditions and the forces the engine is subject to.

If you wish to keep using the motor mount as a lifitng point that is your business. I would always recommend the car be lifted at factory designated liftng points only. Using any other points to lift the car is just asking for it.

For oil changes and other minor services I prefer to back my '02 Boxster up on Rhino Ramps. The slight slope of the car does not impede the draining of the oil from the engine. It does make for slightly cramped working under the car but since I'm in no hurry I adapt.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I agree. I jack up on the rear jack points and slip ramps under the rear wheels when I want to work on the rear for anything (oil, exhaust, etc).

Our X5 has a dedicated jack point in front but it's not the motor by any means.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:20 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil changes - just use the Rhino ramps - easy, quick, safe.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I tried getting the car up on jack points this way, but could not get the rear of the car high enough to get the jack stands under - it was pretty scary.
Wayne, I did what you did on my '87 and guess what? It slipped off the jack wedged the jack between my tire and the torsion bar cover.

My Brother was using my short jack stands and so I grabbed his tall ones.....big mistake.

The kicker was that it tore my ground effects on that side and the I had a jack stand under the half-shaft. It fell on the half-shaft but it did not hurt it though.

I was so pissed and had to get another jack to remove the first one.

I just cant bring myself to jacking a 911 by its' engine.........
Old 01-04-2009, 01:22 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I would not use the engine mount as a jacking point...seems like a no-brainer to me.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tippy
Wayne, I did what you did on my '87 and guess what? It slipped off the jack wedged the jack between my tire and the torsion bar cover.

My Brother was using my short jack stands and so I grabbed his tall ones.....big mistake.

The kicker was that it tore my ground effects on that side and the I had a jack stand under the half-shaft. It fell on the half-shaft but it did not hurt it though.

I was so pissed and had to get another jack to remove the first one.

I just cant bring myself to jacking a 911 by its' engine.........

Yup, that's what I was afraid of! I got the front end way off the ground - almost to the limit of the jack and it still wasn't high enough to get the stands under the rear. I figured no good could come of going further and very slowly lowered the car for fear if it slipping.

I have to find some good ramps at some point.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Orient Express
996/997 Jack plate

Wow, where did you find that??
Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I used ramps..don't know the name bought them pep-boys, never did an oil change myself, but changes the exhaust and bumper this way...little more space..
Old 01-04-2009, 02:48 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your car is lowered www.raceramps.com
Old 01-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
I used ramps..don't know the name bought them pep-boys, never did an oil change myself, but changes the exhaust and bumper this way...little more space..

Thanks - I'll have to take a look next time I'm in there.

Quick Reply: A $600 Oil Change