Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Parking light bulb replacement - closer color?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:22 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Parking light bulb replacement - closer color?

Does anyone know specifics around getting a bulb that is close to the litronic tone that does not look ricey? One side has burned out so good chance to replace both with a color that is at least whiter than factory.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:45 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

I did find this with my 4th search:

www.42draftdesigns.com

and am looking at getting the High Intensity BAX9S LED, but want to know what color to get that matches nicely - the blue or the white?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

By parking light, are you talking the Daytime running light, or the side marker?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

I purchased the low intensity version and it's a pefect match for the litronics.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Fissionx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased mine from here ... http://www.superbrightleds.com/BA9S6_specs.htm
looks like the ones you listed above are from the same vendor.
The litronics use H6WU bulbs but the BA9s listed here will work. You will have to trim off one of the nipples at the base of the bulb since the factory ones are slightly offset. These were the cheapest, brightest bulbs I found in my search.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:46 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

So which ones are the match? Red, Blue, White, Green? The High Power?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

white, low power at www.42draftdesigns.com

no trimming required
Old 01-05-2009, 02:08 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

perfect response! Thanks Whale.

How about if I wanted to replace the fogs as well to match the bi-xenons (i have a 2002).
Old 01-05-2009, 02:25 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BillJ
How about if I wanted to replace the fogs as well to match the bi-xenons (i have a 2002).
This thread has me contemplating the same upgrades. Here's what I found to be comfortable with for the H3/fogs. There is a H3 LED, but I just don't believe it'd be bright enough.

H3-WHP DRL LED bulb
H3 Type Daytime Running Lamp replacement bulb available with 1 or 9 High Power White LEDs

Lots of people poo-poo the PIAAs and say they are too expensive, but they've never melted anything of mine, not fried any harnesses, and have never failed, so they are worth it to me. YMMV

PIAA H3 Super Plasma Gt-X Bulbs
For the fashion conscious driver PIAA offers our new H-3 Super Plasma GT-X bulb. This bulb will give your factory fog lights a beautiful bluish purple look. With fashion there is no need to sacrifice performance. With PIAA’s XTRA technology you’ll have plenty of power. Available in single and twin packs.

PIAA H3 Intense White Bulbs Twin Pack
PIAA’s new Intense White Bulbs produce a more radiant white beam without any hint of blue. This bulb has been completely re-engineered from the ground up. The larger glass tube increases output (28% whiter color than STAR WHITE) and allows the bulb to burn at much cooler temperatures. PIAA’s new Intense White Bulbs provide the best possible balance between performance and bulb life. PIAA Platinum bulbs not only come with the new Intense White technology but they also come with PIAA's XTRA Technology that allows the bulbs to burn brighter using less amperage. SAE and DOT Approved tested and certified to comply with SAE and DOT certification for white color.

PIAA H3 Xtreme White Plus Bulb Twin Pack
The very popular Xtreme White Plus technology is now available in H3 style bulbs. Rated at 4000K and providing 110watts of light from only 55watts these bulbs will provide a brilliant Xtreme cool white light that will light up road hazards and street signs long before a normal halogen bulb.

PIAA H3 Xtreme White Bulbs
Upgrade your bulbs to PIAA for a brilliant Xtreme cool white light. The closest color yet to HID lights (High Intensity Discharge).

HTH
Old 01-05-2009, 02:44 PM
medtech
Drifting

Anderson,

That H3 DRL looks pretty good. Let me know if you try it.

Aaron
Old 01-05-2009, 02:55 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Smile

Originally Posted by medtech
Anderson, That H3 DRL looks pretty good. Let me know if you try it. Aaron
Aaron, the parking light inside the housing [what you are calling a DRL] is not an H3; it is a BAX 9 S type, or push-and-turn, which is more along the lines of this:

BA9s-WHP6-12V 6 High Power LED Bulb

Or, the bulbs listed at the 42draftdesigns link above. Either will work fine I'm sure, although heat might be a concern with the high output LEDs; IDK; haven't used them yet.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:52 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by Anders0n||C4S
Aaron, the parking light inside the housing [what you are calling a DRL] is not an H3; it is a BAX 9 S type, or push-and-turn, which is more along the lines of this:

BA9s-WHP6-12V 6 High Power LED Bulb

Or, the bulbs listed at the 42draftdesigns link above. Either will work fine I'm sure, although heat might be a concern with the high output LEDs; IDK; haven't used them yet.
Thanks, I'll have to check and see if they have decent heat sinks in them.

Quick Reply: Parking light bulb replacement - closer color?