Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What to do when your 996 is worthless? Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only reason that the bumper looks oversized...is because it isn't painted yet!!DUH!!!!

I have seen these bumpers on other P-cars and they look pretty damn sexy and very 21st century.....

Don't forget to keep posting your progress..... I love to see mods especially the self done ones!!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:29 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
the only reason that the bumper looks oversized...is because it isn't painted yet!!DUH!!!!

I have seen these bumpers on other P-cars and they look pretty damn sexy and very 21st century.....

Don't forget to keep posting your progress..... I love to see mods especially the self done ones!!
Next up, I am replacing your old rear bumper...
Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Fissionx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh Bob Saget!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR7GUiiKEz0
Old 01-04-2009, 03:26 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up, I've wanted to do the same with that Techart bumper, can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

very nice work! Sounds like youve done this before... what are you going to do about the grill? Do you add filler to the middle section to fill in the gaps or shave the corner edges off to create more gap.

What I like about this bumper... is the divider between the intake... it gives it a bit of the Porsche GT2 look.... Please more pics when you get a chance.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:41 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redridge
very nice work! Sounds like youve done this before... what are you going to do about the grill? Do you add filler to the middle section to fill in the gaps or shave the corner edges off to create more gap.

What I like about this bumper... is the divider between the intake... it gives it a bit of the Porsche GT2 look.... Please more pics when you get a chance.
I am not sure about the grill yet. I worked on the top lines of the bumper as much as possible, but it's going to take a lot more fitting of the grill to get it right. I may have to grind and then add some cloth. I am planning on scribing a template of the hood line and transferring the radius to the grill. I'll post pics of how that's done.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:45 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by salayc
I am not sure about the grill yet. I worked on the top lines of the bumper as much as possible, but it's going to take a lot more fitting of the grill to get it right. I may have to grind and then add some cloth. I am planning on scribing a template of the hood line and transferring the radius to the grill. I'll post pics of how that's done.
cool
Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive work. Can't wait to see the end result. I just started doing a lot of DIY'ing on my P-car and I'm really enjoying it (did my first oil chance yesterday which was a lot easier than I expected). Although I did a lot of bolt on work on my last few cars for whatever reason, I've been a bit intimidated by the 996. Watching threads like this give me more and more inspiration to do more to my car.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:46 AM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried a little work on plastic - fiberglass, and I just don't have the touch (or the patience!). You must have some artist in you.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by salayc
Otherwise, we live in a society with manners, and spouting an unsolicited negative opinion is considered rude whether on a board or in person.
wow, so I guess only people who love the oversized overdone bumper can post huh.

Didn't realize we were in Iraq.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:23 PM
John Henry III - AZ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
wow, so I guess only people who love the oversized overdone bumper can post huh.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:23 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Nope, everyone can post. Some posts are rude, some are insulting, some are ignorant, and some are all three. But isn't it better to be none of those?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

his post was neither ignorant, nor insulting, nor rude. He said it was oversized. Rude would have been saying "man, that bumper looks like crap".

I see nothing offensive about his post aside from that it didn't mesh with your expectations of high fives all around.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to the title of the OP--not a bad idea! Nothing like going out looking at BMW M3s to make our 996 interior, exterior, etc, look great . ..

My next tweaks? I have done a few obvious ones (wheels, shocks, muffler) but now thinking of some of the more "debatable" ones, namely a new cold air intake and/or Softronic flash.

PS: Thanks for the step by step. I save all of these and they seem to come in handy somewhere along the line.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Keep us up to date !

Quick Reply: What to do when your 996 is worthless? Upgrade!