Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What to do when your 996 is worthless? Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:37 AM
maci911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ivangene
weather I like it or not is one thing....

but for sure - you are putting some serious effort into making this what you want. For that you get my applause!!!
Well done (or doing)... great write up and pics, can't wait to see more and the final results.
+1 but still
Old 01-08-2009, 02:15 AM
John Henry III - AZ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Nothing shouts "Salvage Title" more than that front bumper,--but that's just me. Can't stand the pointy things in the front on either side. It just makes it look cheap.
Maci911 I hear ya...
Old 01-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing shouts "Salvage Title" more than that front bumper,--but that's just me. Can't stand the pointy things in the front on either side. It just makes it look cheap.
I know A LOT of people who HATE creamy blue cars! with poopie color interiors (wonder how big hit the re-sale value takes for that color combination??)
Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys, this isn't a 'what do you think of my bumper' thread; it's a 'look at what it takes to get this bumper fitted to my car and properly painted' thread. We're getting some really good info here. Stop spoiling it with opinionated comments that Salayc clearly doesn't care about since he has ALREADY opted to move forward with the mod. And believe me, I'm all for personal opinions, but it's clogging up the flow of the info here. I think there's a 10W-40 vs 20W-50 thread that will interest some of you a lot more. If that doesn't do it, do a search on "MAF sensor AND cold air intake".
Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nycebo
Guys, this isn't a 'what do you think of my bumper' thread; it's a 'look at what it takes to get this bumper fitted to my car and properly painted' thread.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 AM
mfennell
Advanced

Originally Posted by salayc
The first coat is the base coat. This is an acetone based paint (lacquer) so coats will burn in. When spraying without a booth, this becomes invaluable. Any errors can be fixed with a quick touchup that will burn in. I am spraying a single component base coat which is 741 black with a reducer. The reducer is the solvent so the paint can be sold under VOC laws with the reducer added later.
I'm not so sure. The MSDS doesn't list acetone and Sherwin Williams associates a "unique state of the art resin technology" with the Ultra 7000 line, which doesn't sound much like lacquer to me.
Because I am spraying without a spray booth, I like to sand the basecoat to leave a perfect surface for the clear.
I don't think this is a good idea in the long run. I'm no expert for sure but everything I've read about basecoat/clearcoat has been "don't sand between color and clear". Sherwin's specific comment on sanding from the Product Data Sheet:
If dirt must be removed, areas 4" or smaller may be wet sanded with P600 or finer. Sanded areas MUST be recoated with basecoat color before clear coating.
I also found that basecoats flash over so quickly that dust and drips weren't a big problem. SW seems to offer a range of products to mix the paint with depending on temperature and desired drying times. Maybe an alternate reducer would have helped the dripping basecoat.

Just to be a picture *****, here's Dupont ChromaBase applied to the nose of my Factory Five Cobra (in a backyard booth):

and the Dupont ChromaClear. Clear is the challenge. You need just enough material to "flow" so you don't spend your whole life sanding but not so much that you get runs and sags, which are a real PITA to clean up w/o removing too much material. It's a real balancing act. I've walked out of the booth thinking "perfect", only to find a 6" sag line 20 minutes later.

Last edited by mfennell; 01-08-2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: details
Old 01-08-2009, 07:24 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mfennell
I'm not so sure. The MSDS doesn't list acetone and Sherwin Williams associates a "unique state of the art resin technology" with the Ultra 7000 line, which doesn't sound much like lacquer to me.
You may be right, however the solvent is in the reducer which doesn't look like it's listed in the MSDS. To clarify I should say "lacquer like" because subsequent coats burn in and acetone burns in to the paint.
I don't think this is a good idea in the long run. I'm no expert for sure but everything I've read about basecoat/clearcoat has been "don't sand between color and clear".
Yes, in the right environment, you're right. However, lot's of classic car guys and body shop guys who don't have good booths sand the color coat. My point is to be aware of the properties of each coat so someone painting can make their own decision. It's definitely not what the pros do.

I also found that basecoats flash over so quickly that dust and drips weren't a big problem. SW seems to offer a range of products to mix the paint with depending on temperature and desired drying times. Maybe an alternate reducer would have helped the dripping basecoat.
What really helps is to tune in the air / material mix of the gun and with a turbine based Apollo, there's no good flow control.
Just to be a picture *****, here's Dupont ChromaBase applied to the nose of my Factory Five Cobra (in a backyard booth):

and the Dupont ChromaClear. Clear is the challenge. You need just enough material to "flow" so you don't spend your whole life sanding but not so much that you get runs and sags, which are a real PITA to clean up w/o removing too much material. It's a real balancing act. I've walked out of the booth thinking "perfect", only to find a 6" sag line 20 minutes later.
Looks good. Glad to hear from someone else who is painting. To me clear is not a problem. Do you spray a tack coat first and then wet on wet? Perhaps this is where the turbine based gun works well.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 AM
mfennell
Advanced

Originally Posted by salayc
Looks good. Glad to hear from someone else who is painting. To me clear is not a problem. Do you spray a tack coat first and then wet on wet? Perhaps this is where the turbine based gun works well.
Thanks.

I shot clear two ways: very light tack coat, followed by two heavier coats or simply two heavier coats. In both cases, I waited until they flashed over (not sticky to the touch) before proceeding. This was on the advice of the professional painter who ran a votech class I took and was consistent with the recommendations of Dupont for the ChromaClear I was using. Note that Dupont insists you must apply the clear within 24 hours or you have to reapply base. In practice, by the time you've cleaned your gun and mixed up some clear, you're ready to tack it off and shoot.

Interestingly, I used a turbine too. A 4 stage Citation with integrated respirator. You can't control air but the gun allowed paint flow and fan changes and (of course) different tips. IIRC, I used a 1.5 for color/clear, a 1.8 for Dupont URO (a primer/sealer) and a 2.0 for Feather Fill (a buiding primer).

Although I painted the Cobra, the next time I needed something done, I did all the prep and prime but paid my friend Eric to shoot the color/clear in the heated downdraft booth where he worked. He's good enough that when you drive out, you're done - at least to OEM orange peel standards. When I finish painting, I'm still only half way done.

For the bored, the following covers most of my painting fun:
http://home.comcast.net/~fennell18/cobra35/
http://home.comcast.net/~fennell18/cobra37/
http://home.comcast.net/~fennell18/cobra38/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fennell18/cobra39
http://home.comcast.net/~fennell18/cobra40/
http://home.comcast.net/~fennell18/cobra41/
http://home.comcast.net/~fennell18/cobra42/
http://home.comcast.net/~fennell18/cobra43/
Old 01-09-2009, 02:36 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

That's just awesome Mfennell. Loved the web pages.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:31 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mfennell
I shot clear two ways: very light tack coat, followed by two heavier coats or simply two heavier coats. In both cases, I waited until they flashed over (not sticky to the touch) before proceeding. This was on the advice of the professional painter who ran a votech class I took and was consistent with the recommendations of Dupont for the ChromaClear I was using.
That's pretty consistent with the advice I once got from a paint chemist, although you could probably wait 30 minutes or more after the tack coat. I have sprayed clear and seen the surface wrinkle but come back the next day to see it burned in. Automotive paint is amazing stuff.
Note that Dupont insists you must apply the clear within 24 hours or you have to reapply base. In practice, by the time you've cleaned your gun and mixed up some clear, you're ready to tack it off and shoot.
Yes, I assume they want to the clear to burn into the base. It's the preferred way to do it, but if you DIY small parts, I still prefer to sand the base.
Interestingly, I used a turbine too. A 4 stage Citation with integrated respirator. You can't control air but the gun allowed paint flow and fan changes and (of course) different tips. IIRC, I used a 1.5 for color/clear, a 1.8 for Dupont URO (a primer/sealer) and a 2.0 for Feather Fill (a buiding primer).
I used PPG clear with a 1.3 tip and an Apollo 5010 HVLP. I just looked and it is a 4 stage I was using. I need to move up to a 2.0 for primer. The atomization was good for clear though. I wish the Apollo had more control, they have a new gun which is more pro, and they have great customer service so it works well for us when we need quick turnaround for parts.
Although I painted the Cobra, the next time I needed something done, I did all the prep and prime but paid my friend Eric to shoot the color/clear in the heated downdraft booth where he worked. He's good enough that when you drive out, you're done - at least to OEM orange peel standards. When I finish painting, I'm still only half way done.
Yes, if I were painting a car I would love to use a downdraft. They sometimes are available for rent in and around LA. I just sent my Olds out for paint. I just don't have the time.
On my wife's Cayenne, the paint has heavy orange peel, but I have seen factory shots of blocking and color sanding Carreras. To me, my Carrera paint looks better than Ferraris I have seen.
For the bored, the following covers most of my painting fun:
Looks like fun.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Keep up the pics and ignore the dicks !
Old 01-15-2009, 07:04 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Default Color sand and buff

Moving right along:
The paint is leveled with 400 to remove orange peel. I use 800 next followed by 1500 sanding with a foam flexible block and plenty of water. Not many body shops use this, but I like Mirka Abralon for color sanding. This is a flexible wet sandpaper on a foam back that fits on a 6" sander. It's great for removing fine scratches. I also use the stuff on cars every couple of years when detailing. It's actually easier to control sandpaper than a buffer when removing paint scratches. A buffer tends to heat up the paint and burn through while wet sanding is more predictable.

The idea during this phase to to level, then remove the scratches from the leveling with finer and finer sandpaper until you are left with a smooth matte surface with 1500 grit or greater scratches. It is at 1500grit or above that a buffer and rubbing compound will easily polish the paint.
The biggest problem with wet sanding is the water masking what your are trying to remove. i.e. the water acts like a clear coat so it is impossible to see the scratches that are left behind. Experience is important here, however when in doubt, polish an area, and if you see scratches, go back and sand again. When a paper has done it's job, it easily glides across the paint. When there is still sanding to do, the paper binds a bit. With a little practice, it's obvious when it's time to move up to the next grit of paper.
Here's the bumper ready for polish:

Leave the Porter Cables at home, polishing paint requires horsepower. I use a 7" rotary buffer with a synthetic wool pad and 3m rubbing compound as the first step.

And here is the bumper after the first pass. No orange peel or waviness in sight.

Next, the bumper gets fit for a final polish and I get to work on the grill.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 PM
911Joel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Good job on keeping the car!

Anyone have a finished pic of this bumper on the car? It does look rather large but it might be the paint. If it were me Id shave down those saber tooth fangs on the front.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 80 Posts

Kudos on the work. Very ballsy to do that yourself.

Quick Reply: What to do when your 996 is worthless? Upgrade!