996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

my P didn't make it into 2009.....:mad:

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Well, if K&N filter installed then MAF being dirty (contaminated)...

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
thanks guys for all the replies...and yes I got a K&N air filter, will change this back to the original and will get a code reader....

thanks for the offer cdodkin..I live in huntington Beach about 100 miles from you and with the P running this would have been a great reason for a drive! But now I got to first find the problem.

Rodents is out of the question..... all cables look good....crack somewhere in cable is possible.
I am glad to read that you guys don't think the worst like I did..which was engine failure!!

I'll take a picture of the code reader and will post it asap.

Happy Newyear (and even better if the problem is minor!)
with oil very likely. In this case a proper cleaning of the MAF would be called for.

In fact, I'd attempt to use a lint free towel with some electronics cleaner sprayed on it to wipe out filter air box and as much of the air intake system between filter and MAF as you can reach/get to.

You might even consider pulling throttle body off and cleaning it too.

Of you can just replace stock filter and clear codes (and along with it other stuff too) and then drive car and see what symptoms turn up.

Rodent damage is usually not real apparent. They like to get into areas that are very confining. But the presence of rodents is pretty easy.

Vacuum car cabin and trunks out using a vacuum cleaner with a new filter bag or a shop vac with its insides empty and wiped clean.

After vacuuming dump contents of vacuum out on white paper. A length of butcher paper works. Look for rodent hairs and droppings. If you spot these signs car has suffered an infestation of rodent. If more than just a cursory walk through by some rodent shopping for a home there is very likely a nest in car and somewhere wiring has been chewed.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I can vouch for the Harbor Freight code reader mentioned above by cdodkin, it works great at reading codes, but mine doesn't erase airbag lights. You can't beat it for cost. GL Nick.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We used to have an entire shelf dedicate to blown MAF's from K&N snorkel's. If it's blown, it won't matter if you put the stock intake back on, you'll still need a new MAF. Trying to "clean" the old one is a complete waste of time. Easy fix though, will be good as new if that's what it turns out to be. Please keep us posted.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Take a step back boys.

It's a little irrational to blame the K&N unless it has been freshly oiled, which in this case it has not. There is no reason to believe that a filter that has been performing well will suddenly decide to vomit oil onto the MAF.

Let's just sit back and wait for the codes rather than second guessing until we're blue in the face.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's not what I said. We've seen a lot (as in dozens) of cars who over time using a variety of aftermarket oiled intakes have eventual problems with the MAF such that it needs to be replaced freshly oiled snorkel or not. The MAF on these cars were designed to use a dry intake and so are very very sensitive to the oiled ones K&N or othewise. Have you ever seen a blown MAF next to a good one? They look identical save for perhaps a very fine layer of oil accumulated over time until it's past the sensitivity tipping point. This has been the experience of other shops we know also. The symptoms described are exactly as what I've seen 1st hand which is why my blue face second guess (the 1st one I might add) confirmed he's running a K&N airfilter. But I agree...it's nothing but a guess until the codes are known. I would also add that not one owner after experiencing this failure put their snorkel back on and instead went back to the stock intake.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:41 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many have posted, it's hard to tell without a code. But being humid and cold sounds like it could easily be something as simple as a coil pack.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without the fault code(s) everything here is a guess.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My car ran just fine with a failed MAF, no matter the temperature.....just always had a CEL.

With a blown MAF, the idle was always fine and it pulled as high as 27 MPG one tank.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tippy
My car ran just fine with a failed MAF, no matter the temperature.....just always had a CEL.

With a blown MAF, the idle was always fine and it pulled as high as 27 MPG one tank.
Yup, same here.

You fixed your engine yet?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay just gotten a reader (129 bucks+tax)...

the only error it gave was p 0704..when I looked it up it said clutch switch...does this make any sense??

i replaced the K&N filter (which was very dirty) with the new OEM filter)

After clearing the error..the check engine light is still on.

BUT the car runs normal....sound is great...it drove normal (around the block)

does this above make any sense...and how do I get the engine light turn off??
Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
Okay just gotten a reader (129 bucks+tax)...

the only error it gave was p 0704..when I looked it up it said clutch switch...does this make any sense??

i replaced the K&N filter (which was very dirty) with the new OEM filter)

After clearing the error..the check engine light is still on.

BUT the car runs normal....sound is great...it drove normal (around the block)

does this above make any sense...and how do I get the engine light turn off??

Glad to hear that the car is running well.

I've not come across 0704 before. You might drop Firehawk99 a PM to get his opinion, but I'm guessing this will mean a trip to the shop to get the switch fixed.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:19 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Glad to hear that the car is running well.

I've not come across 0704 before. You might drop Firehawk99 a PM to get his opinion, but I'm guessing this will mean a trip to the shop to get the switch fixed.
Wayne, he said the 704 was a clutch switch.... Nicolaas' car is a Tip. Maybe the Tip shifter switch is bad or acting up.

If you ask me, the car is tired of being a Tip and wants a sex change operation so it can be a MANual!

Nicolaas sorry, I just couldn't pass that one up!

Last edited by gota911; 01-02-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check engine light stays on...so I guess i got to have it checked out.

I get no error codes though.....how is this possible? I think of returning the code reader, since all messages about emmission etc say n/a or is this because of the code reset?

I am getting tired of the P.O.S.che...maybe it is time to trade it in for an accord coupe ex-l.svl/POS and I probably get some money back!!LOL
Old 01-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
Wayne, he said the 704 was a clutch swithc.... Nicolaas' car is a Tip. Maybe the Tip shifter switch is bad or acting up.

If you ask me, the car is tired of being a Tip and wants a sex change operation so it can be a MANual!

Nicolaas sorry, I just couldn't pass that one up!
Nice dig!

I'd forgotten that the car was a tip, but Nicolaas' reading of the code was the same one that I found from a quick search.

I don't understand why he's getting the code, even though the car is driving okay.... makes no sense for the car to be shifting fine when driven, but giving a clutch error code... actually, it surprises me that the clutch switch comes up as a power train error at all. Maybe the clutch that it is referring to is a different one than the one we're envisioning.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Yup, same here.

You fixed your engine yet?
It is a long process and takes more money than I care to spend at the moment. But, I split the cases during Christmas and was surprised at how good the internals looked - I should of just put new valves in and carried on.

It will be a long time before I get back on the road.......the A6 DD is just so lame.....bluah.....but it has a kick@$$ Bose system so I manage.....<sigh>

Quick Reply: my P didn't make it into 2009.....:mad: