Sponsored by:

C4 is lots of fun in the snow w/ PSM turned off

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:58 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts
Default C4 is lots of fun in the snow w/ PSM turned off

We got over 8" of snow last night and the P-car had a chance to go out and play. It really wasn't much fun every time the electronic nanny stepped in to keep it in line, but after I disabled PSM the car came alive w/ power and power slides. I ended up in a neighbor's front yard last winter, so I'll have to learn to control my speed a bit- but it is so much fun!

This car is as much fun in the snow as any of the Audi Quattro's I've owned over the past 20 years. If you live in snow country w/ a C4, be sure to get out and enjoy it this winter.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:33 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

with snow tires?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:43 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Get out and enjoy it....

But a C2 would be even MORE fun....

Yes, but in a LARGE vacant no obstacle (curbs, lamp posts, etc.) parking lot.....

And unless the rear "virtual" (TC) LSD is disabled along with PSM the VC will remain flaccid regardless.

With a C4 you not only need to disable PSM but I would also do a few tight turns, VERY tight turns, "at speed" on a high traction surface to first cause the VC to become less flaccid, otherwise you might as well be driving a C2.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:32 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Yes, fresh snow tires for sure. It is very easy to pivot and control the vehicle and highly predictable thus far. There are limits in the snow that I have previously explored that I am not looking to revisit in the P-car.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Look at this video:

It really begins at 1,06 min

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=V48LsEjiFJ4
Old 12-09-2008, 03:23 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Very nice video - thanks for sharing.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:07 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by juankimalo
Look at this video:

It really begins at 1,06 min

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=V48LsEjiFJ4
It's amazing what our cars can do in the right hands!
Old 12-09-2008, 05:11 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
It's amazing what our cars can do in the right hands!
+1. You said well IN THE RIGHT HANDS... not mine
Old 12-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Fissionx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More importantly with a limited slip differential, which many 996 C2s (mine included) do NOT have from the factory.
My 1991 e30 318iS has one stock, i mean common Porsche...
Old 12-09-2008, 07:11 PM
JReid
Instructor

My WRX was a riot in the snow. I always pulled it out of winter storage after a fresh coating for some quick fun. It did donuts like it was a child's top; it would sit there and spin and spin and never deviate.

I miss that car.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

^^^ Looks like one of those pictures of a cropfield that had a mysterious pattern....

I've got LSD but no snow to play in....
Old 12-10-2008, 01:36 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I NEVER(***) run on anything but nice and quiet riding, comfortably riding "summer use only" tires. It is FAR too easy to install tire chains in times of need and in the meantime I get to more thoroughly ENJOY my driving.

*** Well, other than the '92 Jeep Cherokee Limited RWD/AWD/4X4-hi/lo which remains in north central MT throughout the year.

Besides which on the really slick stuff, black ice, say, NO TIRE will be adequate absent studs or chains.

The nice thing is that snow, unlike many instances of ice on the roadbed, will be visually obvious allowing you the option of slowing down to remain in control. If I'm going to be caught unawares of ice on the roadbed I would much rather have the addition tread roadbed contact area of a summer tire vs the heavily "siped", or tread blocked, specialty winter tire.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:06 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Not me!! When summer tires get cold they get hard and lose all of their traction. Nothing but fresh snow tires for me.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:22 PM
equ
Racer

Originally Posted by wwest
If I'm going to be caught unawares of ice on the roadbed I would much rather have the addition tread roadbed contact area of a summer tire vs the heavily "siped", or tread blocked, specialty winter tire.
Umm, that sounds really wrong to me. My summer PS2's barely stick to dry roads in cold weather, let alone ice. Siped winter tires are the way to go on winter surfaces, as long as the snow depth doesn't get out of control. Some non-studded tires these days have truly become great. I grew up with chains and I don't I'll ever use them again.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Luckyr
Advanced

Originally Posted by wwest
I NEVER(***) run on anything but nice and quiet riding, comfortably riding "summer use only" tires. It is FAR too easy to install tire chains in times of need and in the meantime I get to more thoroughly ENJOY my driving.

*** Well, other than the '92 Jeep Cherokee Limited RWD/AWD/4X4-hi/lo which remains in north central MT throughout the year.

Besides which on the really slick stuff, black ice, say, NO TIRE will be adequate absent studs or chains.

The nice thing is that snow, unlike many instances of ice on the roadbed, will be visually obvious allowing you the option of slowing down to remain in control. If I'm going to be caught unawares of ice on the roadbed I would much rather have the addition tread roadbed contact area of a summer tire vs the heavily "siped", or tread blocked, specialty winter tire.
The problem with your theory is the rubber compound used in Z rated Summer tires is a totally different animal below say 45 degrees. The contact patch is probably a fraction of what it would be in it's proper temperature zone. This is all theoretical, but the real world traction (or lack thereof) of a C4S with summer tires is downright scary, whereas the same car with winter tires is a tank. Not even close.

Quick Reply: C4 is lots of fun in the snow w/ PSM turned off