996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Air/Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Engine oil air separator directly affects the engine crankcase atmosphere because basically all Porsches from 1980 on including the current 986-987-996-997-Caymen & Cayenne engines are all positive crankcase type systems meaning the engine crankcase has vacuum supplied from the intake manifold to collect and burn the residual combustion by-products or blow-by in the crankcase by running it through the engine again, basically to lower the overall vehicle emissions.

On most occasions, when the oil separator fails, intake vacuum in the engine crankcase rises to an unusually or abnormal rate and more likely than not ends up drawing engine oil into the intake system usually fouling spark plugs and even possibly causing damage to the oxygen sensors (O2), catalytic convertors and even possibly various other sensitive fuel injection components.

Interestingly enough, the only way to test the oil separator is to periodically test the engine crankcase vacuum with a water filled Monometer AKA an ultrasensitive vacuum gauge. On BMW’s and Porsche’s, the engine crankcase vacuum is normally around 4-7” (Inches) of water. When these oil separators fail the crankcase vacuum can rise to 9-12” and even higher depending on the extent of the failure.

When the oil separator is starting to fail on Boxsters (986-987), generally you will start to see a substantial amount of smoke from the exhaust tailpipe. When the oil separator finally fails, the engine exhaust smoke can reach dangerous proportions that almost look like it was manufactured from an anti-mosquito smoke machine. Unusually enough, on the 999-997’s, when the oil separator fails, it hardly ever creates any exhaust tailpipe smoke, almost being like a silent killer or costly surprise.

On another note, it has been known on rare occasions, that when an oil separator fails that it is possible to cause or create a slightly rich running condition that might turn on the check engine light or CEL.

The only way to know what is/was happening is to check the fuel trim numbers on the OBD-II “Freeze Frame” data and crankcase vacuum to see exactly what’s going on, otherwise your just guessing.

Hope this helps,
Tony
Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

water filled monometer, that's the words I was looking for.
Thanks Tony for chiming in and adding some experience to the board.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:41 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem Chris, thanks for the support. I am always scanning the boards and forums to see if technical help is needed because in the end we all benefit from it. I started teaching an advanced class for Porsche technicians combining forces with a company known as World Pac Training Institute, so now I enjoy the educational aspect of this from another angle. Some of you guys are very mechanically savvy so here is a link just incase anyone is interested. http://www.worldpac.com/wti.html
Old 09-29-2017, 02:27 AM
derv88
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TCallas
No problem Chris, thanks for the support. I am always scanning the boards and forums to see if technical help is needed because in the end we all benefit from it. I started teaching an advanced class for Porsche technicians combining forces with a company known as World Pac Training Institute, so now I enjoy the educational aspect of this from another angle. Some of you guys are very mechanically savvy so here is a link just incase anyone is interested. http://www.worldpac.com/wti.html
Do you teach private lessons or multimedia (Skype)? Seriously..

Quick Reply: Air/Oil Separator