Sponsored by:

CPO coverage limits

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:43 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CPO coverage limits

I have a C2 coming off of CPO coverage December 23rd. I've had a problem with the drivers side rear turn signal flashing very quickly and the front signal not functioning at all for some time now. I was having a new bumper installed and the guys at the shop noticed the same thing and did some troubleshooting (no charge). They swapped out my headlight unit with one from another car and it all worked normally. They concluded the headlight assembly needs to be replaced, which is a very expensive item. Does anyone know if that will be covered under CPO?

Next, my ignition switch just started having problems. I had to jiggle it to get the headlights to turn on, and the key is getting stuck, as well as when I turn it off it doesn't want to turn all the way to the left easily. Will this be covered? Thanks.

Last edited by deckman; 11-29-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:38 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should but if you really want to find out, call a dealership.

Originally Posted by deckman
I have a C2 coming off of CPO coverage December 23rd. I've had a problem with the drivers side rear turn signal flashing very quikcly and the front signal not functioning at all for some time now. I was having a new bumper installed and the guys at the shop noticed the same thing and did some troubleshooting (no charge). They swapped out my headlight unit with one from another car and it all worked normally. They concluded the headlight assembly needs to be replaced, which is a very expensive item. Does anyone know if that will be covered under CPO?

Next, my ignition switch just started having problems. I had to jiggle it to get the headlights to turn on, and the key is getting stuck, as well as when I turn it off it doesn't want to turn all the way to the left easily. Will this be covered? Thanks.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:15 PM
prsdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be covered for both under the CPO. I had my ignition switch replaced 2 weeks ago under CPO.

Further details and confirmation of coverage of headlights on the PDF at:

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/app...005&height=415
Old 11-29-2008, 08:57 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

So I was at Mikelly's house today to learn about DIY brake pad replacement. He was gracious and I learned a lot, not just about pad replacement but racing and Turbo cars. Thanks Mike if you see this!

He has a lift in his garage and we got my car up. This was the first time anyone had a good look at the underside of my car since just after I bought it in July 07. Everything was fine back then. Now however, I have some oil leaking from what we suspect is the RMS. So this has been added to the list of things for the dealer to check on Monday when I take it in. If that is what it is this will be the second replacement, but the last under warranty. What does this repair cost outside of warranty?

There has been lot's of discussion about the clutch if replacing the RMS. My car has 42K miles and the clutch feels fine to me, but it has been suggested to others they should replace the clutch while in there doing the RMS work. Thoughts about that?
Old 11-29-2008, 09:17 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The RMS itself is about $90. The labor to drop the engine is in the $700 to $800 range.

If they are going to replace the RMS, then have them check the clutch and give you an idea of how much wear is left on it. If the clutch has 50% or less wear life left on it, I would have them to install a new clutch. The labor will basically be "free." While they are in there, also have them look at the flywheel, which suspect will still be in good shape with onlt 42k miles, but you never know.

Let us know how all of the repairs turn out.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:55 AM
911Raptor
6th Gear

It sounds to me like you only needed to replace the bulb on the front turn signal- not the whole unit.

The oil leak is another issue...
Old 11-30-2008, 08:17 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

RMS at the dealership outside of your CPO warranty period is around $1100-$1300 and comes with a 1 or 2 year warranty if I recall correctly.

Clutch and RMS. "They" say if you drive with an RMS for a really long time the oil some how affects the clutch. But, if they are repairing the RMS the dealer can take a look at your clutch to see if there is a problem and or clean any sloppy oil splashes.

Originally Posted by deckman
So I was at Mikelly's house today to learn about DIY brake pad replacement. He was gracious and I learned a lot, not just about pad replacement but racing and Turbo cars. Thanks Mike if you see this!

He has a lift in his garage and we got my car up. This was the first time anyone had a good look at the underside of my car since just after I bought it in July 07. Everything was fine back then. Now however, I have some oil leaking from what we suspect is the RMS. So this has been added to the list of things for the dealer to check on Monday when I take it in. If that is what it is this will be the second replacement, but the last under warranty. What does this repair cost outside of warranty?

There has been lot's of discussion about the clutch if replacing the RMS. My car has 42K miles and the clutch feels fine to me, but it has been suggested to others they should replace the clutch while in there doing the RMS work. Thoughts about that?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:32 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer will be more than happy to replace your RMS under CPO.If it is a Porsche CPO and not a dealer CPO. I had the latest seal done 2 yrs ago at the end of a CPO and OK so far.
You are lucky to have all this crap out at the end and It'll be covered.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:37 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
The dealer will be more than happy to replace your RMS under CPO.If it is a Porsche CPO and not a dealer CPO.
What is a dealer CPO and how does it differ?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:59 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

It's a Porsche CPO so I'm not worried about the RMS being covered. I'm more concerned about the Ignition switch and headlight. I don't think it's a bulb issue, as that's been replaced twice already and it deosn't account for the rear signal behaving oddly. One thing I've learned over the past few days is all the electronics and computers are interelated. A bad ignition switch can affect the operation of at least the operation of the headlights, the heater blower, the heated seats, and unless you lock the car after you turn it off, auxillary power will still run.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:37 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

AndersOn: There are some dealers that will tell you it's a certified pre owned Porsche. It may be certified by the dealer(bait and switch) and not Porsche. When it gets to a warranty issue you find out it ain't covered by the dealer.The Porsche Certified pre owned comes with a lot of documentation and you get a letter from Porsche outlining the coverage.if you have the real thing then you are OK.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:30 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Basically, a used porsche warranty for Porsches. It gives you a 2 year/100,000 miles on the odometer almost bumper to bumper warranty.

Originally Posted by Anders0n||C4S
What is a dealer CPO and how does it differ?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:20 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Basically, a used porsche warranty for Porsches. It gives you a 2 year/100,000 miles on the odometer almost bumper to bumper warranty.
What you are describing is what the Porsche CPO program, which is what I have. I was asking C4CRNA to explain the reference to the 'Dealer' CPO program.

Back on topic, sounds like deckman is covered.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Grabeard
AutoX

My ignition switch needed to be replaced and my dealer told me it was NOT covered under CPO. Hopefully you have a more generous dealer!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:13 PM
alx_carrera
Advanced

I had my ignition switch covered under my third party warranty company, also had my air condition display replaced cause some of the numbers went out. So the CPO better cover it as to my understanding the CPO should be a better warranty.

Quick Reply: CPO coverage limits