996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

CPO coverage limits

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 02:47 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got off the phone with the dealer service rep. She didn't think the switch was covered but is going to check. I said the problem with the CPO language is it's loosey goosey and open to interpretation on individual parts and she agreed. She said Porsche gives them a list of parts that are covered. I would like to see that list. Will let you know how this progresses. I'd really like to hear from anyone that had the switch replaced or denied under CPO since it's such a common failure.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by prsdoc
You should be covered for both under the CPO. I had my ignition switch replaced 2 weeks ago under CPO.
Do you have any details you can share with me either here or via PM? I think I may have to brace for a fight.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:06 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by deckman
....I said the problem with the CPO language is it's loosey goosey and open to interpretation on individual parts and she agreed....
That is exactly right. In my experience, if you have a good relationship with your service manager then they can write up a problem whichever way is necessary to ensure it's covered..........
Old 12-01-2008, 04:38 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Uhh, I'm hosed then. I have no relationship with them at all. This is exactly the 2nd time I've had it there for service.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, if you haven't used the word "SUCK!" in any of your conversations with them, you can be sure that your relationship is stronger than mine.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Raptor
It sounds to me like you only needed to replace the bulb on the front turn signal- not the whole unit.

The oil leak is another issue...
I had a similar issue with the turn signal - pop out the headlight/taillight assembly and inspect the bulb. My dealer checked it for me - a 2 minute operation really - and found a bit of soot on the contact. Cleaned the contact with an emery cloth, popped it back in - all better...
Much less expensive than a new assembly if you have a similar problem
Old 12-02-2008, 03:11 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

So they say the ignition switch is not covered by CPO. She writing something up, which I guess is a sort of appeal to PCNA and will let me know. It's over $800 parts and labor. When is a warranty not much of a warranty?

RMS leak is confirmed. This is the 2nd one on this car. I asked that since it seems to be a recurring problem on this car what happens if it begins to fail in a years time? She said if Porsche pays for it under warranty and it fails at anytime in the future outside of warranty, the customer pays for the repair.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:00 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

doesnt the delair warranty repairs? mine does for 12 or is it 24 months.......so i think they are giving you the runaround......
Old 12-02-2008, 05:34 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ignition/ignition lock should be covered. They are jerking you around. Don't you have a list of covered items given to you when you got the car and the included warranty?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:40 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

I just got a text message. They will cover the switch. I was all set to do a DIY listed on RennTech. I'm almost dissapointed.

Now we'll see what they say about the condition of the clutch and flywheel while they have the transmission pulled.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:40 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Your dream Porsche will give you plenty of driving pleasure. With the Pre-owned Porsche Warranty, you will experience yet another good feeling.The feeling of security. And the reassuring certainty to have made theright decision. In case of a problem, the comprehensive warranty covers 100% of the costs for material and labor. Customers of the Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Program do not pay an excess.

The warranty seal of “Porsche Approved” stands for certified quality.
The new Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Limited Warranty offers full peace of mind. Porsche Cars NA will repair or replace with new or remanufactured part any factory installed part that is faulty in material or workmanship under normal use. This limited warranty covers all parts of the following components:

Engine
Fuel / Cooling system
Power train / transmission
Suspension / Steering
Brake system
Heating / Air conditioning
Electrical Systems
Body
Comfort Electronics
This warranty does not cover:

Emission Control Systems and Corrosion. (Refer to the Emission Control and Corrosion Limited Warranties in the new vehicle limited warranty manual.)
Batteries damaged from storage, lack of normal vehicle use, or non-Porsche Approved electrical or accessory installation.
Tires damaged by road hazard. (If you need further assistance, contact your authorized Porsche automobile dealer.)
Tires damaged by premature wear.
Parts that fail due to lack of required maintenance or use of non-Porsche Cars N.A. distributed parts.
Normal wear and tear or deterioration of any part.
Cleaning and polishing.
Contamination of fuels, lubricants, or other fluids.
Lubricants, unless part of a warranty repair.
Air conditioner refrigerant charge unless part of a warranty repair.
Glass breakage, chips and/or scratches that are not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
Appearance items that are not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
Any car registered or normally driven outside of the United States and Canada.
The replacement of expendable maintenance items (such as spark plugs, filters, worn wiper blades, worn brakes, worn clutches, worn tires) when the replacement is not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
The adding of any fluids unless they are needed as part of a warranty repair.
Any car with an odometer that has been altered so that the actual mileage cannot be determined.
Vehicles with total loss or salvage titles.
Modifications not authorized by Porsche Cars N.A. or it’s authorized dealers.
Service adjustments (such as idle speed, air/fuel mixture, brake, clutch, headlight, and drive belts)
Improper repairs by someone other than Porsche Cars N.A. or it’s authorized dealers.
Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use or other events beyond the control of Porsche Cars N.A.
Components and/or parts that failed during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) will not be covered by the CPO limited warranty.
For further information, please download the following document.

Download PDF/ 197 KB

Next chapter: Assistance.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:48 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

In the link below after you skip the intro. Click on interior,get the first page of covered stuff then click the arrows at the bottom right of the page for the second list, there it says ignition/ignition lock is covered.Hope this helps your case.

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/app...005&height=415
Old 12-02-2008, 05:50 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

If the above link doesn't work. I got it from post #3 of this thread.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:57 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't work for me.

Maybe this one? LINK

The new Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Limited Warranty offers full peace of mind. Porsche Cars NA will repair or replace with new or remanufactured part any factory installed part that is faulty in material or workmanship under normal use. This limited warranty covers all parts of the following components:

* Engine
* Fuel / Cooling system
* Power train / transmission
* Suspension / Steering
* Brake system
* Heating / Air conditioning
* Electrical Systems <<-------------------------------
* Body
* Comfort Electronics
Old 12-05-2008, 03:59 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Latest update. RMS is fixed. Clutch is replaced. Ignition is replaced. Headlight assembly unit needs replacement and it is NOT covered by CPO even after service rep appealed to PCNA. If it is denied the dealer want's $2,200 to replace it. This CPO business seems to be at the whim of Porsche unless it's an internal engine component. This has me super pissed at Porsche.

From the Porsche CPO brochure in the link above:

Engine (incl. radiator, heating/heat
exchanger, etc) but excluding the
exhaust system
• Fuel system (incl. transmitter for
fuel supply, pressure sensor, etc)
• Cooling system
• Transmission (incl. clutch release
bearing and clutch fork)
• Drive assembly
• Steering (incl. power steering
and hose)
• Brake system (incl. master
cylinder, brake booster, pressure
accumulator, Porsche Stability
Management, etc)
• Suspension (incl. supercharger,
levelling sensor, pressure
sensor, etc)
• Air conditioning/heating
• Instrument cluster
• All pumps
• All actuators
• All electric motors
• All control units
• All switches (malfunctions only)

Last edited by deckman; 12-05-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: CPO coverage limits