Sponsored by:

2nd gear problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:27 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd gear problems

The morning after I had my new tires mounted and an alignment, I've not been able to get my car into 2nd gear without a fight. This occurs mostly when the car is cold (with lazy shifts at 10-15 mph or so) but damn near on every downshift attempt. I push the clutch in, then try to put the car in 2nd, however, it feels like a wall is blocking it from going into gear. Any clues? I'm hoping it's just a need for new gear oil and not that 20 minute test drive the folks at Mr Tire took.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you have issues with 2nd gear before the tire change? My last 911 had a bad 2nd gear synchro and a gear oil change made no improvement. GL
Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Absolutely no problems with second. I want to say under warranty a year or two ago they(dealer) corrected something with my tranny, however, I am not really sure what the problem was except that it appeared to be an RMS issue but it turned out to be the tranny. Back then I'd have problems shifting from 1rst to 2nd if I shifted too fast.

Originally Posted by Barn996
Did you have issues with 2nd gear before the tire change? My last 911 had a bad 2nd gear synchro and a gear oil change made no improvement. GL
Old 11-24-2008, 04:10 PM
jlb532
Instructor

Did the tire shop (or whomever you had mount/align the car) drive it at all? Did you see who drove it into the shop? (teenage kid?) Long shot, but just a thought...
Old 11-24-2008, 04:33 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

that sucks!... sorry to hear man.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:40 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Yes, lower 20 something kid could barely get it up on the alignement rack. He slipped the clutch like crazy. So much so he had to roll back of the ramp. But the kicker is he drove it for over 20 mins. I told the manager to call him now to bring my car back. However, I'm wondering how much damage could be done that quickly? Maybe I'm in denial.

Originally Posted by jlb532
Did the tire shop (or whomever you had mount/align the car) drive it at all? Did you see who drove it into the shop? (teenage kid?) Long shot, but just a thought...
Old 11-24-2008, 09:48 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problem DC, good luck with the repair.

If I can't repair the car myself I will only take it to the P-dealer for this very reason. There are too many dumb and inconsiderate guys working at these indys and chain shops, who won't even give it a second thought before going out and thrashing someone’s expensive car.

I later found out, however, that the mechanics at my local P-dealer may be doing the exact same thing.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:37 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Yes, lower 20 something kid could barely get it up on the alignement rack. He slipped the clutch like crazy. So much so he had to roll back of the ramp. But the kicker is he drove it for over 20 mins. I told the manager to call him now to bring my car back. However, I'm wondering how much damage could be done that quickly? Maybe I'm in denial.
No coincidence. There is no way this could have happened so quickly otherwise. I really don't know what you can do about it though. What a shame. And what a dick*ss kid.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:29 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Thanks, I had no idea there would be a test drive because I'm so used to using tirevan.com to have my tires installed. Even at the dealership I don't see them test drive after an alignment.

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Sorry to hear about your problem DC, good luck with the repair.

If I can't repair the car myself I will only take it to the P-dealer for this very reason. There are too many dumb and inconsiderate guys working at these indys and chain shops, who won't even give it a second thought before going out and thrashing someone’s expensive car.

I later found out, however, that the mechanics at my local P-dealer may be doing the exact same thing.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:42 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to reconsider, I think it may have been a pre-existing condition, and the cooler temps simply exacerbated the symptom.

...I've not been able to get my car into 2nd gear without a fight. This occurs mostly when the car is cold (with lazy shifts at 10-15 mph or so)....
I would think the shop would need to do something fairly catastrophic to the transmission on this test drive, while at the same time only screwing up 1 synchro. Not saying it can't happen, but I doubt you'll ever be able to prove it.

Seems more reasonable to think it may be time to R&R your tranny fluid. See where that gets you. If that doesn't get you some shifting satisfaction, the 'wall/blocking' feeling you are experiencing can sometime be due to a shift linkage being out of alignment.

Just trying to offer other ideas.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:12 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Yeah, I'm going to purchase some new fluid within the next couple of days. Also, the linkages are right near the drain and refill hex bolts, right? The smaller one/top one is 1 & 2nd?

Originally Posted by Anders0n||C4S
Just to reconsider, I think it may have been a pre-existing condition, and the cooler temps simply exacerbated the symptom.

I would think the shop would need to do something fairly catastrophic to the transmission on this test drive, while at the same time only screwing up 1 synchro. Not saying it can't happen, but I doubt you'll ever be able to prove it.

Seems more reasonable to think it may be time to R&R your tranny fluid. See where that gets you. If that doesn't get you some shifting satisfaction, the 'wall/blocking' feeling you are experiencing can sometime be due to a shift linkage being out of alignment.

Just trying to offer other ideas.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:23 PM
jlb532
Instructor

Yeah, I'm going to purchase some new fluid within the next couple of days. Also, the linkages are right near the drain and refill hex bolts, right? The smaller one/top one is 1 & 2nd?
Hope for your sake that does it...but fearing the worst. I really can't stand when these shops abuse our vehicles. I had a situation at a DEALER of all places. I watched as one of their 20 year old "bus boys" attempted to get my car out of the service bay. Reving it, stalling twice, etc. I met him right outside the service entrance, (stopping him from trashing it all the way to the front of the building), and noticed that he still had the parking break engaged!

I always tried to tell myself that these places drive these cars all day long, how could they "not" know what they're doing? Unfortunately, you really have to watch them. It's why I avoid shops and dealers like the plague for any basic repairs that can be done myself.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Let us know what happens!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:52 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I gotta believe after reading all this that the freakin kid at the tire shop screwed that second gear synchro ring up.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Sychro should not prevent it from going into gear, you would just get a grind. Probably a cable problem, or adjustment of the shifter. check this out before being too upset.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:40 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I just got of the phone with the dealership to check on fluid prices. Oddly he stated that any synthetic differention fluid 75/90wt will do, which is cool with me, however, he said that I should really focus on cables and that it's normal for it to act up in the cold. Mine has gone beyond what I would consider acting up but I will really take a look at what's going on today or tomorrow as far as the cables and linkages.

Another thing he stated when I mentioned I have 87k on the odometer and that I'll just change the fluid while I'm under the car, is that the differential fluid lasts alot longer than 87k. He also mentioned gear box fluid but couldn't give me the fluids that go into there.

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Sychro should not prevent it from going into gear, you would just get a grind. Probably a cable problem, or adjustment of the shifter. check this out before being too upset.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear problems