996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

M030 vs X74 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:08 PM
luvH2O
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question: It seems like many US standard suspension 996s I have seen have a bit of a sag in the rear... could this be due to higher mileage (like above 70K miles)? The rear springs showing their age?

I searched but couldn't find anything that mentioned this.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:13 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by luvH2O
Quick question: It seems like many US standard suspension 996s I have seen have a bit of a sag in the rear... could this be due to higher mileage (like above 70K miles)? The rear springs showing their age?

I searched but couldn't find anything that mentioned this.
More likely to have worn shocks or bushings or rubber spring perches than the springs themselves. It's pretty rare a spring would sag like that.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:25 PM
luvH2O
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
More likely to have worn shocks or bushings or rubber spring perches than the springs themselves. It's pretty rare a spring would sag like that.
Quick update: FWIW, I replaced the rear springs and the ride height went up about 1/2". The car sits level now.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:41 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by juankimalo
Livenupe, as I can see, you have the M030 suspension in your 40 th (It was a stock factory for this special model.)
And, could you explain me how did you get the GT3 control arms installed?
I thought that they could fit in a C4 but not in C2.

Thanks for the info. I can see that I was in an error, and love this post for learning.

Could explain me the improves in the handling with GT3 control arms (before and after) ?

Did you find the front train less floating?
Joaquin,
Sorry for the delayed response. I've been busy with work, travel, etc. and haven't been on the board in a few days. At any rate, it appears AudiOn19s answered most of your questions. The GT3 control arms and anti-sway bars bolt right in. And yes, the parts also fit on Boxsters and Caymans. I didn't do the work myself so I can't provide details on "how" to do it, but it's a pretty common upgrade.

As for the handling improvements, the anti-sway bars reduce body roll and eliminated front inside wheel lift during acceleration out of tight corners. The control arms allowed me to dial in -2.5 degrees of negative camber. I've heard a rumor that negative camber can be dialed in by inverting the shocks and slotting the shock mount point, but I'm not 100% sure about this option. In my opinion, this is a less desirable option.

To clear up one bit of misinformation, the stock anti-sway bars on 40th aren't exactly the same as the M030. The diameter of one of the anti-sway bars is exactly the same (I believe the rear) as the stock C2 while the other is in between the stock C2 and the M030. I'm fairly (but not totally) sure the rear is the same and the front is smaller. Hopefully, someone else can chime in.

Last edited by LiveNupe; 11-14-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:38 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Stock rates (linear I believe) 146 F / 203 R
M030 rates (ROW AND US) 170 F / 260 R
H&R Springs (progressive) 170-210 F / 230-260 R
GT3: 228 F (linear) / 543 (progressive)

you won't find X73/X74 rates. I tried for along time and could never came up with rates. I've riden in one and the feel felt very similar to a GT3...which in my opinion has too agressive of valving in the shocks and not enough spring rate.
Would you know what the C4S spring rates are compared to the C2?

Quick Reply: M030 vs X74 suspension