Sponsored by:

HELP...Installed CD Changer now no sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Last Car
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP...Installed CD Changer now no sound

This is for my 1999 C2, with CDR-220 Radio and me installing a used CDC-3 Changer:
Okay I just installed the (trunk mounted) CD Changer; Now everything works EXCEPT the speakers. I had to take the battery out so the system was down and when I re-installed the battery I entered the radio code and like I said every works (stations, FM1, FM2, Radio CD and CDC - radio even showed that the CD was playing in each slot 1-2 etc.) but no sound. I took the radio back out and checked the plugs, in the back, (I never took any off - just added the two plugs from the harness, green and yellow) also checked the plugs for the harness going into the DC Changer, and that didn't help.
I asked Loren, over at RennTech but he didn't give much help.
Again, all was good before the install..now after the install..all is good but I have no sound.
Any help would be great,
Thanks,
Patrick
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Old 11-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This happened to me shortly after I bought my car 2+ years ago. Took it to dealer (car was still under factory warrantee and is CPO'd also) and radio fault showed up - dealer replaced radio (CDR-220) and system still didn't work. Then fault showed on CD changer - so that was replaced also. Since then, no problems - plus I got a new CD changer and radio at zero cost. Your system needs to be checked for faults. Assuming the "mute" button isn't on
Old 11-06-2008, 11:45 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm confused by your post...everything works except the CD changer? you mean you have sound for everything, but the CD changer?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:12 AM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Uh - turn up the volume?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:03 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Just make sure the unit is activated using a PST2 or PIWIS...
Old 11-07-2008, 03:22 AM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your power amp. Common problem.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Last Car
Advanced

Hi and thanks for the reply....by everything works I mean that on the radio screen it show that I have either a station (radio) CD (CD inside radio) or CDC (CD in Changer showing any one of the 6 CD inside) working; but I have no sound! Also as PJorgen suggested, I've had the volume up to #27 and NO SOUND. i did have to unplug the AMP, but it's just two plugs and I checked them and they are 'tight'. As I said...before hooking the CD Changer up, there was sound coming out....now nothing. I guess it could be the Changer but the fellow I got it from said it was working fine (but who knows). Today after work I'll 'un-hook' the Changer from the radio and see what happens. ALSO, might there be a 'fuse' for the speakers or amp???
Thanks again for any help.
Patrick

Last edited by Last Car; 11-07-2008 at 08:02 AM. Reason: hit the 'enter' button.....sorry.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:12 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

check the fuse in the amp.....as stated above the amp could be bad...
Old 11-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Last Car
Advanced

Well, all is okay............As it turns out--if one takes an electrical connection loose after it has been hooked-up for about 10 years - said connection might not make a good connection after re-connecting!
This means that I took the plugs off of the AMP during the install of the CD Changer and when I reinstalled the plugs they didn't make a 'connection' and I had NO sound....I checked everything (fuse, hook-up from harness to radio/CD Changer) and all was GOOD! So, I took the AMP back out cleaned the plugs with electrical cleaner and reinstalled and "Poof" I had sound.
Just wanted to share for anyone that might do this with their 'older' Porsche.....
Thanks for all the replies,
C'ya,
Patrick
Old 11-07-2008, 07:22 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You have sound again! Kewl!!!

Quick Reply: HELP...Installed CD Changer now no sound