Sponsored by:

996 M030 Suspension Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:17 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryAZ
Am I the only one thinking PSS9 or Pss10 is the right choice? Adjust damping to your liking and balance ride quality with performance. When mine are at "full soft" I think they are as soft as the stock suspension. The ride height is fully adjustable too. The idea of moving back to those stock US struts is just appalling
They probably are the best choice for 996 series
There are others cheaper but perhaps never as high quality as PSS9
Old 10-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by BC996
My 2002 996 C2 has the M030 suspesnion (US Version). The car handles wonderfully on the track and when driven hard. However I find the ride quality very harsh and uncomfortable on poor roads and especially on long trips. I'm looking for more of a GT ride than a track star.

I'd be interested in comments from others on the M030 package.

I am considering switching to Porsche standard springs etc. Does anybody know how much difference this would provide?

Also, are there any better alternatives for improved ride quality?

Your comments would be appreciated.
Quite unusual to find the M030 too "harsh and uncomfortable". Most people want the firmer ride. But then again, I guess that's why Porsche has the standard suspension for those that don't want the "sport suspension".

IMHO, your best bet would be to ask for the used standard suspension from peple who switched to PSS9's, X74, etc. These should be cheaper than any new ones, and still give you the "standard" Porsche ride.

Don' ask the people here what they think of the "standard suspension". Most of the people here are crazy, thinking the standard suspension is too soft, floaty, bouncy, wimpy. BTW, I happen to be one of the crazy ones. I got the X73 for the C4S .
Old 10-06-2008, 04:32 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

I have a complete set of US standard suspension available if you're interested. PM for details...
Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Don' ask the people here what they think of the "standard suspension". Most of the people here are crazy, thinking the standard suspension is too soft, floaty, bouncy, wimpy. BTW, I happen to be one of the crazy ones. I got the X73 for the C4S .

All of us are crazy,

THE 911 PHILOSOPHY ACCORDING TO JUANKIMALO'S WAY OF THINKING

Porsche represents far more than just an unmistakable trade name. It’s maximun exponent is the 911. Porsche is fascination. The 911 not only promises a world of experience. The myth becomes reality. Only then can you feel the power that is unique to Porsche – both active and attractive. The brand thus embodies the epitome of sporty driving and thinking. That is a real philosophy for us, the 911 lovers, pure cPorsche, pure 911. When you've have the chance to see a nine-eleven for the first time, it probably changes your way of thinking about cars. The 911 is not a simply sport car, it's the myth 911. The longing to possess a 911 could become to transform into an obsession, or a 'beautiful' chronic disease... When you are seated at the commands of a 911 and you'd switch the engine on, you'll know that there is something different. It's characteristic flat-six engine sound is telling to us that we are in a real sport car. The '911 personality', is caused by the rear engine configuration. If you want to extract the most from the car, just driving it wouldn't be enough, you'll have to ride it as a pilot. The 911-concept has been enchanting all the Porsche 911 lovers far more than 40 years, and it's really alive more than never been thought before. Its uncomparable silhouette is another one of the 911 concept's elements. There are no similitudes to any other sporty car. 911 owners don't enjoy just driving it. They have fun contemplating the car after parked indeed. In fact we are talking about a mental sickness... a chronic desease. Imagine a sunny Sunday morning, an unfrequented road mountain, both the 911 and you... It's harmony, pleasure, symbiosis, everytime closer to eden, the nirvana of senses. The fascinating sense enkindled by the myth is over the good and evil, and even the love to sport cars. It's probably something that nobody could define and the 911 drivers reach to feel when the car is being driven. Am I crazy about the nine eleven? May be, ... But God bless Ferry Porsche.

Are we crazy?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Fissionx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. I had some slight issues with the gt3 suspension, but decided to stick with it on my car (i'm not selling it). I got the car aligned today but still working on settings. Car feels pretty solid.
I took a fair amount of pictures and stuff and will make a thread later about what you need and the install process; but should you be interested here is another informative thread about them...
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/315266-gt3-coilover-question.html
My verdict: they work but geometry isn't perfect... I would stick with aftermarket designed for the C2 chassis.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:58 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Paul 996 in the thread you linked wrote that its a direct bolt on.
I believe hwk72 also bought LVDell's GT3 suspension and bolted it on to his C2 convertible.
I think you just need to upgrade to GT3 sways and adjustible drop links if I remember correctly.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Fissionx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends, it's more than that, you will also need gt3 front monoball strut mounts as well as sway bar mounts and links which may not come with the springs and dampers.
New, GT3 strut mounts are $400, the sway bar mounts are $250 for a set (front OR rear), and adjustable links are $250 - $400 for a set (front OR rear)

Running spec gt3 ride height your suspension geometry will be off, namely the front and rear toe links have some moderate angle to them, and you'll encounter bump steer front and rear. But I guess this will happen on any base 911 which is significantly lowered unless they are running gt3 wheel carriers which have a lower mounting point for the toe links.
Also, you will have to lower the spring perch about 1.5-2" lower than OEM GT3 height to achieve gt3 spec height (as indicated by shop manual). Since the rear spring is progressive, this will affect the rear stiffness, and may have some other effects.

For the price, ROW M030 is a great bargin. I really wish Ground-control made an adjustable coilover kit for these cars, and decent adjustable camber plates.

Last edited by Fissionx; 10-07-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 996 M030 Suspension Ride Quality