Sponsored by:

Pics of failed pinion bearing race

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 05:41 PM
theonlyrobertson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of failed pinion bearing race

This is from a 2000 C2 coupe, 65k miles. Started making a whine about 10K miles ago and was getting worse and worse. Seems this bearing and the one on the input shaft are sealed and don't rely on the tranny fluid for lubrication like other Porsche models. Seems strange they'd rely on a sealed unit rather than use the gear lube which would provide fresh lubrication.

Name:  bearing_close0001.JPG
Views: 637
Size:  26.5 KB
Old 09-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Rickker
Racer

I have the same gear noise that you described in your other post. Did replacing these bearings require a complete teardown of the transmission? Also, did this completely solve the noisy "gear whine"?
...Rickker
Old 09-27-2008, 06:24 PM
theonlyrobertson
Advanced

It pretty much required a full teardown. I figured while it was this far, anything that's problematic should be looked at and replaced. So the 1st/2nd gear syncos were done. The spider gears on the diff were done since they were pitted.

As far as the results go, I'll let you know next weekend. A spirol pin that holds the spider gear shaft is on it's way from Germany and until that part arrives the diff can't be finished. Given this bearing is right at the pinion and is heavily loaded under acceleration, I'm confident the problem is fixed.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:15 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theonlyrobertson
It pretty much required a full teardown. I figured while it was this far, anything that's problematic should be looked at and replaced. So the 1st/2nd gear syncos were done. The spider gears on the diff were done since they were pitted.

As far as the results go, I'll let you know next weekend. A spirol pin that holds the spider gear shaft is on it's way from Germany and until that part arrives the diff can't be finished. Given this bearing is right at the pinion and is heavily loaded under acceleration, I'm confident the problem is fixed.
Do you know if the 2002 models use the exact same parts?
Old 09-27-2008, 09:33 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I read about this on Pelican.... some mentioned to take the seal off and let the oil lubricate it... so, did you do that or just put a new sealed one in.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:06 AM
theonlyrobertson
Advanced

Right now the seal is on. The tech doing the job made sure he greased it well before installation (synthetic). The failure itself doesn't appear to be lubricant related. My guess is that it was assembled improperly with too much preload given it has a pattern that matches the number of ***** in the bearing. Another interesting observation is that the spalling isn't even around the bearing. On one side it's really heavy and 180 degrees opposite, it's really light.

In this transmission (a probably the Boxster too) everything is pressed onto the shafts. I learned that the 996 Turbo, GT3, and all previous Porsches used splines on the shaft that allowed the gears to slide on and off making repairs much easier. This model requires a big press to get it apart.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:49 PM
theonlyrobertson
Advanced

Talking Finished....

Yup, it's now complete and now I can even hear myself think. Nice crisp shifts, smooth clutch. Just normal highway noises. Just in time for a nice fall drive tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:16 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

good job... did you take pics?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 PM
theonlyrobertson
Advanced

Question

Pict's of what?

Quick Reply: Pics of failed pinion bearing race