Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How hard to use the GT3 seat in a daily driver with kids...impossible? easey?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 04:27 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How hard to use the GT3 seat in a daily driver with kids...impossible? easey?

I am looking for real world data from people with the seat in their car (gt3) and kids/rear seat needs. How much of a PITA is having them?

I have the gt3 seat bug bad....and at DE hated the sliding.....but my family comes first.

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 09-22-2008, 04:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Very difficult to get in and out of the back seat with a fixed back seat. Have you thought about just installing the drivers side GT3 seat and then only putting in the pax side for DE events? Then you would have the GT3 seat on your side at all times and the ease of folding a seat forward on one side to get kiddos in easily.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:34 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

I am a symmetry kind of person....just would be too weird.....

But, I am thinking about it. Just curious if anyone has the gt3 or any fixed back seats and kids. Is sliding up the seat every time something that drives you nuts?

jeff
Old 09-22-2008, 05:38 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You can slide it forward but it is just very tight with the rear angle of the fixed back seat.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:54 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Any one super happy with it with kids? (any fixed back really)..?

LVDell is guru in my book...so I am feeling like until the kids are too big, bag it. But, the gt3 seats hold you so well.....
Old 09-22-2008, 06:17 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I have gt3 seats with a 5 year old.... you have to remove the gt3 seats when installing/removing child seat... small booster seats are doable with the gt3 in place. Smaller child, infant...not recommended.

Its a PIA if you need to get in and take them (child) out of the seats... but if they are older and could buckle themselves and can get out by themselves... its fine.... but it definitely limits the use (but not completely) of the rear seats. If you drive with the kids all the time. I wouldnt use it... for weekend use it's fine.

Rollbar.....on the other hand

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Any one super happy with it with kids? (any fixed back really)..?

LVDell is guru in my book...so I am feeling like until the kids are too big, bag it. But, the gt3 seats hold you so well.....
Old 09-22-2008, 06:19 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

The kids can buckle themselve and they are in bottom only boosters or soon perhaps no booster for the older one of the two. We rarely use the back (once a week...)...but when I do, I want to include them on drives...

Jeff
Old 09-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

I only have a driver's GT3 seat in my car - this way my son can sit behind the passenger side.

There's a new folding GT2 seat, you know... But it's not cheap! http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...e=997seatsroll
Old 09-22-2008, 06:44 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

The kids can buckle themselve and they are in bottom only boosters or soon perhaps no booster for the older one of the two. We rarely use the back (once a week...)...but when I do, I want to include them on drives...

Jeff
This will be fine.... I have a 9 year old nephew that can get in and out. No problem, but anyone bigger will need help getting out. Just dont let go of you stockers just yet, just in case...
Old 09-22-2008, 07:19 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
There's a new folding GT2 seat, you know... But it's not cheap! http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...e=997seatsroll
I was going to mention this seat as well.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:19 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Guys, the gt2 seat would be ideal, but the price is just silly. If they were 2.5k, no problem, but 6k is getting into over 10% of a turbo's value almost and about 20% of a NA good car. Just silly dollars for seats IMHO.

Porsche, if you can hear this, put out a gt2 seat cheaply please. Pretty please.

So, ignoring the gt2 seat: thoughts? Experiences. Sounds like not a big deal....and once they don't fit getting back there, they probably would not fit back there sitting anyway. Safe assumption?

TIA

Jeff
Old 09-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Jeff, what DE level are you? If you're in an advanced group, just get one GT3 seat.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Not in an advanced group, and even if I was, I like the idea of having instructors at all levels....and the same equipment for both.

Plus, I think the car looks "off" with mis-matched seats. Just my aesthetic I guess.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:14 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Not in an advanced group, and even if I was, I like the idea of having instructors at all levels....and the same equipment for both.

Plus, I think the car looks "off" with mis-matched seats. Just my aesthetic I guess.

Thanks!
Not only that but it is REQUIRED to have the same level of equipment for both sides.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Many instructors don't have passenger seats in their race cars... There's no denying that.

Quick Reply: How hard to use the GT3 seat in a daily driver with kids...impossible? easey?