Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What does CPO paperwork suppose to look like?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:47 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default What does CPO paperwork suppose to look like?

Hi everyone,

I've just purchased a 2004 GT3 from an authorized Porsche dealer and other than a handwritten note on the sales contract I don't have any "official" paperwork, handout or presentation folder.

When I asked for this documentation, I was told it would take a little while to receive, and not to worry because the car was already CPO'd.

I find this weird, especially when considering the sales pitch that indicates a pre-owned purchase experience with Porsche should be as satisfying as a new car purchase.

Cheers,
David
Old 09-08-2008, 11:12 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

you do get it from PCNA in the mail. Mine came in a nice tin box but I've had my car since new and was CPO'd when I bought it post lease
Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

i never got anything from PCNA but I did get a "certificate" signed by the salesman at purchase which basically said I had a CPO car. Have used the CPO so I know its genuine!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:30 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
Hi everyone,

I've just purchased a 2004 GT3 from an authorized Porsche dealer and other than a handwritten note on the sales contract I don't have any "official" paperwork, handout or presentation folder.

When I asked for this documentation, I was told it would take a little while to receive, and not to worry because the car was already CPO'd.

I find this weird, especially when considering the sales pitch that indicates a pre-owned purchase experience with Porsche should be as satisfying as a new car purchase.

Cheers,
David
If it's an authorized Porsche dealer, I wouldn't lose any sleep. Don't worry - call the dealership GM if you don't get over it. Unless they're going out of business, you should be AOK.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:03 AM
speedyjp
Instructor

I agree with eDoug... don't worry about it. i dont have any paperwork. brought it in once for oil service and dead powerseats. they replaced the powerseat motors under cpo. nice guys!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:13 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I received the following:

1. A checklist of all the items inspected for CPO (which I and the dealer had to sign)
2. A certificate indicating the VIN and the effective date
3. A receipt indicating the vehicle was CPO

None of those things means the vehicle is covered per se, in fact the confirmation of coverage will be when you check with a dealer to make sure your VIN comes up with a CPO warranty in the Porsche computer system. If you receive the box in the mail, welcoming you to CPO, you're in the computer. If you haven't received the box, just ask the dealer to put you in the national computer system and remember to mark down the dates of coverage.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:12 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my car I had a big red stamp across the paperwork saying "certified"...I was a bit concerned at first, but then about three weeks later I received a nice Porsche Tin Box with the logo embossed in it. Inside was all the warranty info, tow coverage, effective dates, catalogs etc..very impressive little gift.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:49 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Thank you all for information.

I guess I will wait a few weeks to see if anything comes in by mail before digging into this too much.

David
Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Initially, I recieved a checklist that stated CPO on it from the dealer. But the official items came in the mail inside a metal box with my official CPO letter and booklets from Porsche HQ.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:54 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Just remember that if you aren't in the computer, and something happens which requires the vehicle to be towed in, you've got no roadside. Call the dealer, and confirm.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Miller_arch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know I'm certified. I did not get a metal box from HQ, but did get the checklist and other goodies from the dealer I purchased the car from.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:36 AM
eDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by htny
Just remember that if you aren't in the computer, and something happens which requires the vehicle to be towed in, you've got no roadside. Call the dealer, and confirm.
I wasn't "in the computer" when I called roadside assistance a week after I got the CPO - they towed it at no cost and figured out the paperwork later. Again - it takes a little while - and I got my metal box after sending in the "registration card" that came with the CPO papers.

This shouldn't be a big deal - just contact the dealer, or better yet, send them an email and get confirmation that you have a CPO car from PCNA. Shouldn't take 5 minutes.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:55 AM
rmillnj
Racer

When I bought my car back in July, 2005, the only official indication that it was certified was what was handwritten on the sales contract. I did not receive anything from Porsche NA until February, 2006. At that point they sent a letter welcoming me for my purchase of a CPO car and the tin box with brochures. At the time I just thought they were really slow.

The good news was that somewhere in the computer they listed my purchase date as of February, 2006 and as a result my warranty did not expire until February, 2008. I got an extra six months of coverage. That little mistake on the part of Porsche cost them a new transmission for me in December, 2007, although technically I had first complained about the symptoms back in June when I thought the warranty ended in August, 2007. That was when I discovered the mistake in the computer.

It was probably a good thing that I never inquired about the warranty in those first six months. If I had, I might have lost out on the extra six months. My advice is to make sure it is on the sales contract at least. If you can get a copy of the certification checklist, that is also a good idea. As long as you are in the computer though, that is what really counts.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:31 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eDoug
I wasn't "in the computer" when I called roadside assistance a week after I got the CPO - they towed it at no cost and figured out the paperwork later. Again - it takes a little while - and I got my metal box after sending in the "registration card" that came with the CPO papers.

This shouldn't be a big deal - just contact the dealer, or better yet, send them an email and get confirmation that you have a CPO car from PCNA. Shouldn't take 5 minutes.
Glad to hear that worked out for you. While I haven't had to personally deal with it, I've had two dealers (the original certifying dealer and the service writer at my local dealer) tell me some bad stories about flatbed bills in the past.

+1 on making the call

Quick Reply: What does CPO paperwork suppose to look like?