Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bax9s/H6W Led City light update (burned out)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The best solution is to build your own and use a 3-5W external resistor to limit the current/power.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:12 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I just received two pairs, i.e. 4 of these 1W LED bulbs for $6 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Ba9s-1W-L.../281114492829?

They look great so far when I put them in tonight, will see how long they last, there is no mentions of warranty in their ad, hopefully not because they know they won't last......

But for $3 a pair shipped, I just bought a second pair in case they burn out early and the seller won't offer any warranty replacement, time will tell.

The halogen bulbs cost anywhere from $15 to $20 each, no thanks even if I have to replace these LED ones once every couple of years.
Attached Images     

Last edited by aviography; 09-05-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:36 AM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently went in with a guy from work on the 42 DraftDesign "open" style LED just to compare.

Even though it has a collectively higher rating than the ones I originally used (more elements) it was noticeably less bright than the one with just one LED and a focus beam lens enclosure.

The end cap actually disperses radially quite well too so it lights up the entire housing

My original thread is here - https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...9&referrerid=0

Few months in and no issues.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:12 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD.TAG

Even though it has a collectively higher rating than the ones I originally used (more elements) it was noticeably less bright than the one with just one LED and a focus beam lens enclosure.
I generally found the heavily clustered smd(led) to be less bright as well but can serve its purpose when it comes to applications that require wider dispersion patterns. It's generally more marketing than anything else, sort of like the 36 adjustable position coilovers, lol.

I'd rather take a 1 element genuine Cree bulb over a 25 element clustered bulb(if dispersion is not as important).
Old 09-06-2013, 10:26 AM
aviography
Drifting

Exactly, which is why I went for the single 1W bulb rather than the "2.5W" bulb with 5 of 0.5W elements.

I'm happy with how much light the ones I got put out, it even disperses (as can be seen in my pix) quite well and should serve the night time "city lights" function quite well, longevity remains to be the key question now.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:51 AM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Avio, those look like some nicely designed units.

You point out a single LED, but it looks like a large one so I bet it is pretty bright. Will be interesting to see how they hold up

Who says Porsche's are $$ to modify
Old 09-06-2013, 11:40 PM
aviography
Drifting

One day later with about 2 hours of total running time, since these are on whenever the engine is running on my car, one bulb has already failed, I first noticed something strange this afternoon after washing the car and turn on one side to take a day time photo, it dimmed a little bit by itself after being on for about a minute, then flickered off and back on once, did that again then remained on steadily.

I then tried the other city light bulb to realize it is no longer working even though I confirmed both worked properly last night.

I took the bulb out, connected directly to the battery, tried both polarity directions, it's burned out.

I tested the other two extra bulbs, both worked, so I replaced the dead one and will see just how long another one burns out.

LED technology is suppose to last very long time, I'm not terribly impressed at the moment, I will notify the seller now and tell him I'll wait another week to let him know if these bulbs keep burning out.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:38 PM
aviography
Drifting

Well, it's raining today so decided to stay home to get a few things done.

At one point I went to the garage to test these LED city lights I installed only 2 nights ago, the one I reported in the post above that dimmed, brightened, and shut off then came back on all by itself no longer works even though it was still working last night!

So that's two failures within basically one day of installation an about two hours of running time.

Not impressed to say the least.

I'm going to put the last of the working bulbs in, if any of these two still working now fails within the next few running hours, I will not only be asking for a refund, but I'm going to comment on the longevity of this product on the seller's eBay site once I have my money back, so that others don't go through this hassle.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:45 PM
aviography
Drifting

This looks like what I had bought http://hidglorious.en.made-in-china....up-Lights.html

5,000 hrs and 18 months warranty, 0.05% failure rate.

I must have been real unlucky.

Upside is I'm getting real good at removing and reinstalling these headlight assemblies!!
Old 09-07-2013, 04:27 PM
aviography
Drifting

Hold that thought, I think I have an electrical issue, the LED bulb I thought was burnt out last night is now working when I connect it directly to the battery with a piece of wire, in fact both LED I thought failed are working directly with a wire making connection to the battery.

In process of tracking down why the bulb won't work when plugged in the socket, unfortunately no easy way to measure voltage, going to use a 600 grit sandpaper to clean the contacts in the receptacle connector.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:46 PM
aviography
Drifting

Found out the electrical issue was a broken bracket for the mating connector receptacle of the headlight mounting tray, I suspect it was broken by the paint shop last year but could not prove it, I repaired it once with adhesive, I guess it didn't hold so I just repaired it again with high strength epoxy, I will replace it later if it still doesn't work.

The bigger revelation is that the bulbs I got were BA9S base, which has the mounting/locating lugs 180 deg apart on the base, the proper bulbs are BAX9S, which has the lugs 150 deg apart, while you can force the BA9S base bulbs into the city lights receptacles, it deforms the base slightly, and is not recommended.

What I end up finding to be closest are these http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-BAX9S-H...4c407c&vxp=mtr, they are twice the price of the BA9S bulbs I got but still pretty inexpensive.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:15 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
Found out the electrical issue was a broken bracket for the mating connector receptacle of the headlight mounting tray, I suspect it was broken by the paint shop last year but could not prove it, I repaired it once with adhesive, I guess it didn't hold so I just repaired it again with high strength epoxy, I will replace it later if it still doesn't work.

The bigger revelation is that the bulbs I got were BA9S base, which has the mounting/locating lugs 180 deg apart on the base, the proper bulbs are BAX9S, which has the lugs 150 deg apart, while you can force the BA9S base bulbs into the city lights receptacles, it deforms the base slightly, and is not recommended.

What I end up finding to be closest are these http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-BAX9S-H...4c407c&vxp=mtr, they are twice the price of the BA9S bulbs I got but still pretty inexpensive.
I bought these as well. Lasted about 1 month, was sent replacement free of charge from China, they lasted 2 months, occasional use. Looking for something better...
Old 09-08-2013, 12:15 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

The halogen bulbs cost anywhere from $15 to $20 each, no thanks even if I have to replace these LED ones once every couple of years.
I just purchased H6W's from Pelican for $4/bulb. We'll see how long they last, definitely not as bright as the LEDs.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:20 PM
aviography
Drifting

Yeah I just saw that last night while looking at the headlight trays, the $15-20 range was what I had read about in older postings, as well as the local auto parts shop, the girl must have felt sorry for me when she told me they can get these for me at $20 each tax in, then added "That's what you get for owning a Porsche" comment, at least she was smiling and not chuckling/laughing when she made that comment.

Quick Reply: Bax9s/H6W Led City light update (burned out)