Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How hard would getting a SBC engine into a 966 be? Anyone done it before?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Htny, just for reference, only the Ls7 has the titanium rods. The LS6 does not.

If your budget is $8600 after the motor, what are you considering for a transaxle. A nice G50 runs like $6k, so that kind of takes a big bite out.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Jeff000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
Looks like we've got a project!
Hells yes. The car is perfect!
The thought of parting it out and seeing how close I can get to an actual TT is still in the back of my mind though.
And depends on a couple calls I am waiting to hear back on, mostly about how hard the computers will be to deal with and stuff like that.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

If your budget is $8600 after the motor, what are you considering for a transaxle. A nice G50 runs like $6k, so that kind of takes a big bite out.
8500 after purchase of engine and transaxel.
I have ~25 over the cost of the shell to spend. If I do a budget motor to just get everything working then I would have that much more if other things came up.

Or if I could part out the car for ~25-30k then I could afford to buy a nice turbo for next summer.
Considering the car only has 13,701 km on it everything is still pretty new.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may sound obvious, but why not start putting out feelers for a crashed TT to salvage used drivetrain? In these days of unlimited info on the web, I'm sure there are some poor crashed TT's just waiting for new life somewhere. Well best of luck.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:36 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Thanks for catching that, LS6 (at least the one boosted one that broke that I have seen personally) did have some titanium up top though, maybe the spring retainers? Anyway you're correct, I was thinking LS7 from the start.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:42 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff000
Hells yes. The car is perfect!
The thought of parting it out and seeing how close I can get to an actual TT is still in the back of my mind though.
And depends on a couple calls I am waiting to hear back on, mostly about how hard the computers will be to deal with and stuff like that.

Or if I could part out the car for ~25-30k then I could afford to buy a nice turbo for next summer.
Considering the car only has 13,701 km on it everything is still pretty new.
Definitely speak with the folks in San Antonio whom Cory mentioned re: electronics. By going to a cheap cheap motor to start you have a little R&D headroom that will pay dividends

I just priced CPO turbos, nice cars for 55-60, no warranty much lower.

Originally Posted by galeriehughie
This may sound obvious, but why not start putting out feelers for a crashed TT to salvage used drivetrain? In these days of unlimited info on the web, I'm sure there are some poor crashed TT's just waiting for new life somewhere. Well best of luck.
great idea
Old 08-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Jeff000
Advanced

Originally Posted by htny
Definitely speak with the folks in San Antonio whom Cory mentioned re: electronics. By going to a cheap cheap motor to start you have a little R&D headroom that will pay dividends

I just priced CPO turbos, nice cars for 55-60, no warranty much lower.

great idea

ya the 60k range is about where I priced turbos too.

I agree about the feeler for the crashed turbos, but I am just seeing if the parting out might be the best idea still.
Finding a crashed turbo might be tough, as I know if I crashed mine I would just collect the insurance check and be done with it. Finding used turbo drive train in my preliminary search did not look promising.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:56 AM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's a 966? Is that the factory designation for the 996 turbo or is it a typo?
Old 09-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Jeff000
Advanced

Originally Posted by red911c2
What's a 966? Is that the factory designation for the 996 turbo or is it a typo?
My bad, thats a typo.

Quick Reply: How hard would getting a SBC engine into a 966 be? Anyone done it before?