Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How to make it sound like a Flying Lizard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:49 AM
befast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to make it sound like a Flying Lizard?

Are we talking pipes from the headers to the outside, with nothing in between? I am more curious than anything. I think those cup cars sound great.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:53 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

straight pipes!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by redridge
straight pipes!
aka bypass pipes.
It's an amazing sound, I had people chase me down telling me how great it sounded.
However very loud, not practical for a DD.

However, the RSR's in ALMS have some kind of muffler.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:39 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Even with Bypass pipes you still won't sound like the 'Lizard cars. There's just something different in the tone of the GT1 block cars from the M96 cars. The GT1 derived cars still have a higher pitched song to them then the M96 cars do.

M96 still sounds great with bypass pipes..just don't expect it to sound like a GT1 platform car.

Andy
Old 08-25-2008, 02:47 PM
befast
Instructor

I knew it! Gay pipes are the problem.... and that I would need straight pipes!

All joking aside, I would never expect a 996 to sound exactly the same as a cup car because of the difference in the engine. But just so I understand, straight pipes run straight from the headers to the back? Is there a carbon-monoxide issue potentially?
Old 08-25-2008, 03:17 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by befast
But just so I understand, straight pipes run straight from the headers to the back? Is there a carbon-monoxide issue potentially?
JimB's old 996 race car was setup this way. I believe I remember him stating that they gain'd 17hp on the X-51 3.6 with this setup BUT the car lost miserable amounts of torque below 4500 (not really a concern for a race car however). Go here for a picture: http://76.162.35.35/photo_player_flash.html

Carbon-Monoxide won't be the issue...the issue will be that the car will be soo loud that you'll bleed from the ears. Seriously muffler bypass pipes by themselves are noisy enough that I don't even enjoy driving on the street with them because you can't have any fun without drawing all the wrong attention.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:33 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
However very loud, not practical for a DD.
I run bypass pipes on my DD. They're loud, but not too loud IF you are aware of your throttle input in sound sensitive areas. Just don't go WOT every start. I'm sure lots of people run Fabspeed pipes without mufflers - and not just at the track.

On a positive note, you don't need a horn any more. Just blip the gas and you'll get more attention than a "meep-meep."

-td
Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
befast
Instructor

Anyone in the Westchester area running the muffler bypass on a 3.4L 996? I would love to hear it in real life, as opposed to the couple of YouTube videos.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 PM
IrocMan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Running a 996 without cats is virtually impossible because of the OBD II, so you would have to get rid of the ECU and use something programmable like a Motec, which will never work as good as a Motronic and is only adapted for specific applications like racing.
The bore/stroke ratio is different on the GT1, valve timing is very different too so you will never get the same sound... forget the GT1.
You can probably target the GT3R except it will never take the RPM...
Old 08-26-2008, 12:20 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Anyone in the Westchester area running the muffler bypass on a 3.4L 996? I would love to hear it in real life, as opposed to the couple of YouTube videos.
Just disconnect your muffler.... and there you go, instant bypass sound.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:04 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IrocMan
Running a 996 without cats is virtually impossible because of the OBD II, so you would have to get rid of the ECU and use something programmable like a Motec, which will never work as good as a Motronic and is only adapted for specific applications like racing.
The bore/stroke ratio is different on the GT1, valve timing is very different too so you will never get the same sound... forget the GT1.
You can probably target the GT3R except it will never take the RPM...
Actually it's easy. You just leave the pre-cat sensors in the pipe and hang the post-cat sensors in clean air.

To hear what a 996 with straight pipes sounds like from inside the car you can go to my very out dated web site www.jimbreakey.com and click on 996 racecar for sale. Scroll down a little and click on virtual test drive. I think it will still take you to a YouTube video from Daytona a couple years ago.

A 996 with straight pipes sounds pretty good but nothing like an RSR or even a cup car.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
Just disconnect your muffler.... and there you go, instant bypass sound.
I have been preaching this since day one. 15 minutes and you will know EXACTLY how it will sound.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:17 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
I have been preaching this since day one. 15 minutes and you will know EXACTLY how it will sound.
I would agree if you disconnect the mufflers and put some kind of 90 degree pipes on to direct the exhaust out the back. Just taking the mullers off and dumping the exhaust sideways behind the bumper cover won't do it.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:53 PM
befast
Instructor

I think that's great idea: I will try just disconnecting the mufflers to get a sample. My cans have to be swapped regadless, so I might as well experience the bypass sound while I figure out how the replacement works. Two birds with one stone! For a 5-10 minute test, would it be an issue to run without the bypass pipe or will the exhaust gas quickly melt stuff?

On another note, why the heck are bypass pipes running as much as $500+ w/o tips? It's just a pipe, no?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:34 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

I think that's great idea: I will try just disconnecting the mufflers to get a sample. My cans have to be swapped regadless, so I might as well experience the bypass sound while I figure out how the replacement works. Two birds with one stone! For a 5-10 minute test, would it be an issue to run without the bypass pipe or will the exhaust gas quickly melt stuff?

On another note, why the heck are bypass pipes running as much as $500+ w/o tips? It's just a pipe, no?
if its just 5-10 sample... it should be a no issue. BTW the bumper are heat shield lined.

Agreed, straight pipe prices are crazy.... you can go to pep boys and get a cheap pipe w/o the tips.

Quick Reply: How to make it sound like a Flying Lizard?