996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Speedometer reading incorrect... Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Check odo with some other device/technique. My '02 Boxster's speedo...

Originally Posted by ivangene
I have check the odometer too and it reads the same (long) ni other words if I have 29 on the speedo and am going 25, then in 1 hour I have traveled only 25 miles but the odometer moved 29...

some simple math says then that my car with 104k only actually has about 90k this is a "little" error that can really add up. (hense my concern about resale on high milage cars.

Personally I dont think any 996 is worth less than mine with this many miles unless it is not drivable, rebuild or has some major mechanical/body/interior issues (as mine does not)

In this case I plan to drive the wheels off the thing and get as much out of her as I can.

Ed
is 5mph optimistic at 70mph (and below) and over 200 miles the odometer and a GPS device disagreed by just 0.2 miles. Over 50,000 miles this works out to 50 miles difference.

There is no law concerning odometer accuracy but auto makers are on their honor to maintain a +/- 4% or less error.

Honda got nailed on exceeding this and I think it was regarding leased vehicles and the miles the leasees racked up and in some cases were overcharged for.

While many Porsche owners have posted about speedo readings being optimistic no one to my knowledge has posted about any significant odometer errors.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:29 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
While many Porsche owners have posted about speedo readings being optimistic no one to my knowledge has posted about any significant odometer errors.
Then again, most people don't have accurate distance measuring equipment.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
Then again, most people don't have accurate distance measuring equipment.
The same gps that measures the speed should have an odometer function.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:43 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick
The same gps that measures the speed should have an odometer function.

Yeah, in the tenths of a mile. Most people don't set up experiments and compare the distance readings between odo and gps over long distances. Not as quick and easy as glancing down at the gps speed reading and seeing how off it is from the speedo.

Quick Reply: Speedometer reading incorrect... Fix?