Sponsored by:

ebay headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:11 AM
dallasboats
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hwk72
Yes, I remember that too, especially as I got ebay headers some time after that (different product though). I don't think I lost or gained any HP but the TQ curve changed. I lost some low end TQ which is known for equal length headers. However, combined with my GHL exhaust, they woke up an orchestra! The improvement in sound is great; that's what keeps them on my car. They weight the same as the stock headers and I was not able to find any difference in construction compared to higher priced e.g. Fabspeed headers. IMO they all come out of the same factory in China. After 1 year, I've to say that there's nothing wrong with cheap ebay headers; just don't believe the HP fairy tale but that's true for almost every performance mod on our n/a cars (CAI, mufflers, chip ...).
regarding the lost hp, I too remember an incorrect install and nothing after that...... even the beloved fabspeed is from china. I agree, it's all the same, I think this is why suncoast got out of selling them, they sold the last sets for around $600 on their website a few months ago.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:35 PM
IrocMan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW,
I checked yesterday that the GT3 headers DO mount on the regular 996 engine.
The engine is totally different but they kept the same dimensions (115 millimeters between cylinders) on the 'short block'. I love these guys (the engineers at Porsche) because they always allow a lot of unexplored combinations with parts.

I can't state that the GT3 headers will fit the regular exhaust line since the GT3 R headers I have are longer than the regular headers and don't fit. But from the measurement I did a full GT3 line will fit a regular 3.4 or 3.6 Carrera engine.

So I would say 'go ahead with some GT3 stuff' it will probably fit. At least it will bolt on the heads.

Now, I took a look at the original headers. They are not of a great shiny stainless steel material but they are very well designed using velocity of gaz and different length for each pipe to flatten the torque curve.
It's surprising that some noticed a loss of power, I would expect that the headers on photo in the first post of this thread, that seem to have equal length pipes and a decent 3->1 blender, don't make all cylinders efficient at the same higher RPM resulting in more peak HP. This is usually the deal between stock multi length and racing headers.
Have you had the engine remapped after the headers have been changed? Maybe a bit more gas above 4000 is necessary... that's often the case with that kind of headers...
Old 08-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Porx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will prob fit them first then check for mapping etc,.,... great help guys
thank you once done will post pics and report

Quick Reply: ebay headers