P-cars vs. Sup'd up cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're so mature.. lol!

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I've had an F-150 Lightning try racing me...

I was minding my own business on a quiet stretch of freeway. He came up behind me at high speed and sat on my bumper for a while. He then pulled up along side me and did the back and forth routine baiting for a race. I ignored him, so he revved his engine and set off at high speed. I wonder if he was embarrassed when he realized that I didn't take the bait and he was just left playing with himself.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:18 AM
epegasus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only like to drag race in heavily modified V8s. There, the challenge is controlling 500-800 ft/lbs of torque trying to twist a chassis into a pretzel, shifting gears and controlling a beast. P-cars and others in their class are too calm and controled to be interesting.

In the P-car, I like driving on familiar, curvy roads showing those who challenge me what modern design is capable of. The average sports car owner has no idea what their cars are capable of and though they may have HP advantages, they rarely keep pace at modest 7/10th pace. Irresponsible of me? Probably, but at age 42 and no accidents I tend to believe I have reasonable judgement to know when it is prudent and not. It not like I go out looking for a race but on the rare occassion when someone nudges me...
Old 08-01-2008, 12:24 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dallasboats
Bell jet Ranger, wasted past 150.
Dude we need to hang out when I'm down in Dallas

Originally Posted by Tippy
Never underestimate them Wayne, mine had 430 hp and 550 ft/lbs. It could do a high 12 in the 1/4. It only cost me $200 for the belt and pulley for the S/C to achieve those #'s.
+1 they are monsters

Originally Posted by gregorycarl
early 993 - drove away from it.

But as we all know, our cars aren't drag cars, from 80 on we do pretty well.
I love the 993 bait, it's really the one thing they can't rationalize

Originally Posted by jumper5836

Well, it turned out that they also happened to have a brand new C6 vette- fully stock- at the track that same day for a seperate story they were doing on the new model vettes that were coming out that year. They took the vette out on the track and promptly destroyed all of the tuner cars times, beating the fastest one by something like 5 seconds around that track.
I've driven the 08 a few weeks ago and was just startled. people talk a lot of trash about the vette, but those things are bananas, and 6K of s/c and 2K of suspension = enzo fighter if you believe any of GM's ZR-1 info. They did post a sub-gtr 'ring time, so maybe hold off judgment until someone validates
Old 08-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Dominick
Racer

I usually steer away from the temptation.

A few years ago when I had my 2006 vette, if a kid in a his Mitsubishi evo or Subaru WRX pulled up, I'd drop the hammer and go. Now, my car is neither a Turbo or even an "S" for that matter and IMHO its more of a drivers car and not really a race car.

Besides - I'm fairly confident that my fairly bare bones MK1 car can't take some of these tuners and I'm not sure I could handle that defeat. So I usually just glance over at them, shake my head in disgust and act as if I cant be bothered
Old 08-01-2008, 03:10 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm actually a little oblivious to the tuner cars, but I've increasingly noticed them trying to get my attention, talking to me at west side highway stoplights, cutting me of by inches for no reason, following me too closely. I don't get the mentality, honestly, of trying to do this stuff on dense urban highways and streets. Too old to go to jail for street racing man

If there is a drag car in the arsenal here it's the MB
Old 08-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dominick
I usually steer away from the temptation.

A few years ago when I had my 2006 vette, if a kid in a his Mitsubishi evo or Subaru WRX pulled up, I'd drop the hammer and go. Now, my car is neither a Turbo or even an "S" for that matter and IMHO its more of a drivers car and not really a race car.

Besides - I'm fairly confident that my fairly bare bones MK1 car can't take some of these tuners and I'm not sure I could handle that defeat. So I usually just glance over at them, shake my head in disgust and act as if I cant be bothered
+1 Exact same thoughts I was going to write. The C6 is a very fast car and I have no doubt it's much faster than my current na C2. However for Sunday cruising on the backroads the 996 is more fun. I've seen some fast tuner cars and if I were to lose to one I'd have to buy a TT and get even (which I can't afford at the moment).
Old 08-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Dominick
Racer

Originally Posted by Serenity Now
+1 I'd have to buy a TT and get even (which I can't afford at the moment).
Cant afford it either

Insanity Later!!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

Never underestimate them Wayne, mine had 430 hp and 550 ft/lbs. It could do a high 12 in the 1/4. It only cost me $200 for the belt and pulley for the S/C to achieve those #'s.

I actually miss that truck, they actually handle well for a 4700lb beast. .87 skidpad stock, mine was dropped.
Oh I know, I've seen the specs on it and I wasn't going near that challenge.

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
You're so mature.. lol!
No, I just don't street race - street racing is immature and dangerous.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
No, I just don't street race - street racing is immature and dangerous.
I am lucky to be alive, I spent my high school career every Friday drag racing on the streets. In a convertible of all things.

Not anymore. I've grown up.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:39 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by dallasboats
any year m3 wasted........
wrx sti, joke
superbikes, they wimp out over 125
corvettes, newer scary fast but watch out they don't know how to keep a line...
Bell jet Ranger, wasted past 150.

Friends gallardo, hard to beat, never have, but easy to keep up with. Also, he shifts way too early. probably my only chance, but hey at 160 anything is hard to pass......

most american cars, not a chance

360 spyder on highway, dead even.......
you hung tight w/a Modena and a Gallardo????
Old 08-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I am lucky to be alive, I spent my high school career every Friday drag racing on the streets. In a convertible of all things.

Not anymore. I've grown up.
Cory, you said it right - street racing is something that teenagers do and then you grow up.

I get my kicks going to a venues dedicated to speed rather than taking it to the road where I and others can get killed by less able drivers.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:13 PM
TMAC
Instructor

Originally Posted by NNH
Quickly turned right onto a quiet local road a couple of weeks ago in my 996 C2 to get ahead of the A4 that was turning from the other side. As I briskly took off into the distance I discovered in quick succession that my mirror was full of A4, that it was faster than me, and that the little badge on the nose said RS4...
He was cool about it, and we had a little fun in the 75-90 range for a few miles, then chatted for a moment when we came to a stop sign alongside each other. The lesson from this is to pay closer attention to inconspicuous sedans...
And that is is what I love about my Audi S4 BI-Turbo. No one notices it.

I don't race anymore on the streets either. I did a lot of that when I was younger like many of you. I won't lie though, if the right situation presents itself I am sure I would jump.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

I drive fast on the hiways when I can, but I won't race. People are nuts. And incompetent. And stupid. At least that's what I have to believe to stay alive.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dresler
I drive fast on the hiways when I can, but I won't race. People are nuts. And incompetent. And stupid. At least that's what I have to believe to stay alive.
yup, I put my foot down for maybe a quarter mile at a time, then ease off. I never race. It's not worth it... plus to be honest, the traffic around here (and low skill level) means that if you do race you're going to get yourself killed.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:58 AM
dallasboats
Pro

[QUOTE=htny;5662902]Dude we need to hang out when I'm down in Dallas

I'm happy to meet with any of you, but no morning stuff...... I get up around 11 am.......

Quick Reply: P-cars vs. Sup'd up cars