996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Have you been discriminated against?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:32 AM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving like an idiot one day in traffic and apparently being followed by four undercover cops for about five miles. They wait until I stop at a friends house where I was going and they all pulled in around me with guns drawn and I notice a helicopter overhead. One of the officers was demanding my licence and registration when I finally located it and handed it to him he looked at it and returned it right away. I asked what was I doing, he says, well over 100 in a 50 but I am letting you go because we thought you stole the car and he has never seen anyone drive their own car like that. I tried to hand him my keys and said you go take it for a ride and tell me how you would like to drive it when you come back. He said 'no thanks' just be careful.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:10 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

All the stories I hear that happen like that the driver ends up shot while reaching for his wallet.

So you didn't notice them following you while doing 100 in a 50?

Originally Posted by an02boxster
Driving like an idiot one day in traffic and apparently being followed by four undercover cops for about five miles. They wait until I stop at a friends house where I was going and they all pulled in around me with guns drawn and I notice a helicopter overhead. One of the officers was demanding my licence and registration when I finally located it and handed it to him he looked at it and returned it right away. I asked what was I doing, he says, well over 100 in a 50 but I am letting you go because we thought you stole the car and he has never seen anyone drive their own car like that. I tried to hand him my keys and said you go take it for a ride and tell me how you would like to drive it when you come back. He said 'no thanks' just be careful.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Dominick
Racer

Originally Posted by Rivarama
It is blue indeed ! ha ha
The myth has always been Red cars get pulled over more and have higher insurance. I cant say I see any truth in the latter, but I can see a bold color car standing out on the road, catching the attention of the police.

Agressive driving certainly won't help the situation

I guess thats discrimination by color -
Old 07-31-2008, 09:15 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Imagine that.. LOL!

Originally Posted by Dominick
The myth has always been Red cars get pulled over more and have higher insurance. I cant say I see any truth in the latter, but I can see a bold color car standing out on the road, catching the attention of the police.

Agressive driving certainly won't help the situation

I guess thats discrimination by color -
Old 07-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Dominick
Racer

someone finally gets me !!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:49 AM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
All the stories I hear that happen like that the driver ends up shot while reaching for his wallet.

So you didn't notice them following you while doing 100 in a 50?
There was a lot of traffic.

I always keep my hands on the wheel until they arrive at the window and then tell them I am reaching for my wallet, paperwork etc... At that point they ask if I have any weapons in the car. Usually they just let me go for respecting their safety.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:32 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

You're going straight to hell, buddy..

I always keep my hands on the wheel until they arrive at the window and then tell them I am reaching for my wallet, paperwork etc... At that point they ask if I have any weapons in the car. Usually they just let me go for respecting their safety.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:41 PM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
You're going straight to hell, buddy..
I think my first 3 wifes said that before you, get in line.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:46 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hilarious
Old 07-31-2008, 02:01 PM
epegasus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rivarama
...Have you guys felt that you're seen as a "deep-pocket-you-can-afford-a-ticket" and then more likely to be fined than if u were driving a corolla?
Not so much from cops, but definitely from other motorists. They assume I'm an 4sshole right from the start. Truth is I only drive the P-car when I have time to go for a ride and enjoy the experience. I like meeting people who are fans of the marque and want to bench race for a few minutes. I get cut-off more, scowled at, finger saluted, and just generally disrespected.

Most parts of Ga is occupied by NASCAR loving cops who wonder if their modified Camaro could keep up with a P-car. The only ones you have to watch for are the newbies looking for some action. Now if you ride sportsbike near Atlanta, you had better WATCH YOUR 6!! Ask me about my 101 in a 55 experience (don't be so shocked, I was making a pass to get away from dueling SUVs running 80)

We get a 10-over-the-limit buffer from the locals and a night stick across the head for 1-over from the staties, but most cops are pretty tolerant here. My grey hair helps, too.

Quick Reply: Have you been discriminated against?