996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Have you been discriminated against?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you been discriminated against?

Seriously guys... I have had my C4S for 2 weeks, and I already felt the pain of being harassed by frustrated and jaleous cops.

No later than this week-end, I took a trip to NYC to visit some friends. I have been pulled over 3 times (hand picked from a very heavy traffic too) and taken for a breathalyzer. 3 times I tested negative and passed the test. Those 3 times I really saw the smile of the cops fading away when they realized I would not get ticketed.

Additionally, I parked in the meat packing on saturday night on a no parking spot, in the middle of dozen of other cars, which were wilde-parked as well... and guess what? I was the only getting a ticket: $115 and that was at 2am- the funny thing is that the cop spelled porsche incorrectly on the ticket (porshe... )

Have you guys felt that you're seen as a "deep-pocket-you-can-afford-a-ticket" and then more likely to be fined than if u were driving a corolla?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Irksome
Racer

So far, no. I was guilty of hauling *** once and the guy in front got nailed. I've never yet been pulled over (16 months), never gotten a parking ticket. I keep expecting to get pulled over for the lack of a front plate (illegal here in California), and I recently realized I have expired tags (I keep forgetting to put on the new tag after I wash the car!).

Heck, I would have pulled me over a few times, but so far I haven't been.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:30 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

I've only gotten one ticket so far. New Mexico, 3am, doing 90mph when I saw an SUV pull up and start tailgaiting me. He followed me for several miles so I bumped it up to 105mph. He slowly pulled up to me again and started following me for a few miles, then he turned his lights on.. it was a damn cop the whole time.

He wrote me up for 90mph in a 70mph zone, and complimented me on my car - said he knows it's made for this kind of driving, but I don't "own the roads"..

Why would you get breath tested 3 times?!?! Are you a jerk or something? I always get along great with cops and never have problems.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:38 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Nope...quite the opposite. I've been let off of every speeding ticket since the Porsche and the cop usually ends up chatting to me about the car. Most cops are motorheads too.
BTW: last time I was clocked at 147km/h in a 100 km/h zone...no ticket, just a warning.
I try to behave like I'm the luckiest and most grateful guy in the world for having the ability to own such a car. Good karma given = good karma returned in favor.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Generally, no. However, I did get pulled over once for doing 38 in a 35 (that's where he clocked me and squares with what my speedo was showing). When the cop came to the window, I honestly had no idea why I was there - I knew I hadn't been speeding or accelerating hard. He let me go with a warning. I'm guessing he wouldn't have stopped me if I had been driving my wife's SUV instead of the 996.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

well, the thing is for me, I was not even speeding... I was stuck in traffic and the NYPD waved at me to pull over and take a "random" alcohol test"
Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Rivarama
Seriously guys... I have had my C4S for 2 weeks, and I already felt the pain of being harassed by frustrated and jaleous cops.

No later than this week-end, I took a trip to NYC to visit some friends. I have been pulled over 3 times (hand picked from a very heavy traffic too) and taken for a breathalyzer.
C'mon, you have a big Red Sox bumper sticker on your car or something like that, don't you?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No tickets, but I will say that on several occasions I was the only car in a long string that was hit with I/O Ka band. I was't speeding anyway, but it is kind of funny.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:20 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, I'm in NYC but rarely park this thing on the street so I can't speak to parking violations really. I've never been pulled over in the 911, either in LA or NYC, however I have been paced and "pulled out" on a few times, especially in certain areas when pulling onto freeways (LA getting on the 10 in Santa Monica like 3 times and twice coming onto the Palisades Parkway from the GWB) Just don't let em see your brake lights!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr. No
C'mon, you have a big Red Sox bumper sticker on your car or something like that, don't you?
ha ha ha... you're probably right - the mass license plate doesn't work well in NYC :-)
Old 07-28-2008, 07:26 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you know I didn't even think of that, haha. you were a casualty of the Sox!

I definitely drive slower in NJ, PA, CT and DE with my NY plates, must be subconscious!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:35 PM
befast
Instructor

My favorite is when I was in Flushing (Queens, NY) when I had to park in a muni garage. Of course, I always look for a "Porsche spot". You know, the one that has a wall/curb at least on one side, on the opposite side of the parking lot, where only a mad man would even have the idea of parking. Well, this night I found that spot, and it later turned out to be in the middle of the parking bureau zone (checked the signs but missed it!). Came back to have tickets for parking in restricted space, no front plate, and a notation of expiried temporary registration. ---- What my bro said was... you wanted a Porsche parking space, no? I was pretty mad at the time, but in retrospect that was pretty funny.

Aside from that, if I ever do the most minor thing wrong in the Porsche, I am "the ******* in a Porsche". I've just come to accept it for what it is.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:55 PM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally Posted by Rivarama

No later than this week-end, I took a trip to NYC to visit some friends. I have been pulled over 3 times (hand picked from a very heavy traffic too) and taken for a breathalyzer. 3 times I tested negative and passed the test. Those 3 times I really saw the smile of the cops fading away when they realized I would not get ticketed.

Additionally, I parked in the meat packing on saturday night on a no parking spot, in the middle of dozen of other cars, which were wilde-parked as well... and guess what? I was the only getting a ticket: $115 and that was at 2am- the funny thing is that the cop spelled porsche incorrectly on the ticket (porshe... )

Have you guys felt that you're seen as a "deep-pocket-you-can-afford-a-ticket" and then more likely to be fined than if u were driving a corolla?

Had one pull over when I had a 911 that felt a bit like a DWB (driving while black). I was off strip in Vegas with a very attractive friend in the car and got a ticket for doing 35 in a 30.

Since making the move to F I feel like royalty wheverer I go. Sometimes it is over the top. I have had a cop pull up to me at a light and aske me if I wanted to 'race'. Valets, detailers, service people and LE have all been absolutely lovely. If I could just get random folks from racing up to me and then pacing me while snapping pictures on their cell phones I would be happier still.

Where were you in the Meat Packing District Saturday?? I was in the city and hit Del Posto on 10th ave btwn 15th and 16th...very very good!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:58 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha! I'm the king of DWB pre and post 996. I have 35 pull overs on my record yet only 4 tickets. Just be glad you actually get "ticketed" for something instead of pulled over for nothing.

Anyway, in the 996 I've been pulled over and ticketed twice. The first time I was cited in VA for doing 90 in a 65 with cars riding to my right, one in front and one directly behind, while a mini van passed me on the left ,however, my cruise control was set to 75. I took the fight to court and actually had the cop up against the wall with my questioning, but since in traffic court the judge acts as Judge, Jury and prosecutor, I was shot down. I ended up having to take a VA traffic class to have the case dismissed. What's funny is the town was a small town near Fort AP Hill where everyone murmured(sp?) when the judge stated my name and utterer the words "Porsche Carrera, huh?". The entire courtroom assumed I was guilty. lol! After I left the court, the officer caught up with me outside and asked me "where did you learn to asked those questions"..lol!! I took RT301 home instead of I95 just to be safe.

The 2nd pull over was last Summer, a 90 in a 55, plus a bonus ticket for "changing lanes doing 90" on the Capital beltway in MD. Of course I had to ask how much is the ticket for if I change lanes doing 56mph? $450 in fines and 5 points! Fortunately, the guy riding with me that evening was at the time a public defender for that court, he told me which judges to avoid. I dragged that case out only to finalized it last Friday with a 64mph in a 55mph. I really was doing 55, but 5 or so miles prior I may have been going faster. Paid $140 from being found guilty, $80 for the appeal and once the dust settles I'll be receiving a $87 refund and 1 point.

Both times my top was down. So keep your top close and do 45mph in a 55 mph like covette drivers do to be safe.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

Originally Posted by jbdmd
Since making the move to F I feel like royalty wheverer I go.
Where were you in the Meat Packing District Saturday?? I was in the city and hit Del Posto on 10th ave btwn 15th and 16th...very very good!
Oh well... I have to settle with a 4S... however I want my first Fcar by the time I am 35... so hopefully the royalty thing still holds true then

I really like Del Posto - nice crowd too

Quick Reply: Have you been discriminated against?