996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Man sues Porsche over blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My September 1998 build 1999 996 detonated at 23K miles. To Porsche's credit, they voluntarily replaced the whole car with a 2001 (net $5K out of my pocket since the 99 was low optioned and the 2001 was loaded). But then again, my car was fully within the warranty period also.

I lost count of how many motors we replaced at shop.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I am just curious, and have a few questions. This is a 1999 Carrera, 2nd (?) owner.

1. I wonder how many miles?
2. This is a 9 year old car. Not just any car, but a car that is supposed to be "driven like you stole it". I wonder how many 9 year old cars, driven aggressively, over X number of miles, will leak oil/coolant?
3. Is the assertion that since it is a Porsche, it should NEVER leak, regardless of age, driving history, and miles?

BTW, talk about design flaws. The 911 has the engine in the back, for crying out loud. That has to be one glaring design flaw, a cause of accidents and car breakdowns, something we can all make money from.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
I am not fan of abusive law suits, but the listing of the coffee suit as a bastion of lawsuit abuse is ridiculous. Read the case on that one sometime, and you likely will not mention that again. FYI- the lady sued for medical expenses because she had 3rd degree burns on her hoohaw from the coffee. Again all she asked for was medical. McD's had already been warned numerous times by restaurant inspectors that their coffee was too hot and burned peoples skin, mouths, etc. They were doing it on purpose in order to keep the coffee out longer and not have to replace it as often. They were issued directives to reduce the temp of the coffee. The JURY awarded the lady more cash because they were trying to teach McD's a lesson about their business practices, and health of their customers. The lady won because she had a legit case, and McD's was grossly negligent. Again we are not talking about 95 degree coffee here we are talking intentionally hot enough to blister skin. You cannot do that.
Okay, McD's made hot coffee, apparently TOO hot.

How about these:
Sued after getting stuck on the house he was robbing
In October 1998, A Terrence Dickson of Bristol Pennsylvania was exiting a house he finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up, because the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re- enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, so Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. This upset Mr. Dickson, so he sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of half a million dollars and change.

In January 2000, Kathleen Robertson of Austin Texas was awarded $780,000.00 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running amuck inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving tyke was Ms. Robertson's son.

In May 2000, a Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania $113,500.00 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her coccyx. The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson threw it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

In December 1997, Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000.00 and dental expenses.

In November 2000 Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32 foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having joined the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly the Winnie left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the handbook that he couldn't actually do this. He was awarded $1,750,000 plus a new Winnie. (Winnebago actually changed their handbooks on the back of this court case, just in case there are any other complete morons buying their vehicles.)

In June 1998, a 19 year old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000.00 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran his hand over with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice someone was at the wheel of the car whose hubcap he was trying to steal.

Sued the phone company after having complications with the doctor
Michelle Knepper of Vancouver, Wash. Knepper picked a doctor out of the phone book to do her liposuction, and went ahead with the procedure even though the doctor was only a dermatologist, not a plastic surgeon. After having complications, she complained she never would have chosen that doctor had she known he wasn't Board Certified in the procedure. (She relied on the phonebook listing over asking the doctor, or looking for a certificate on his wall?!) So she sued ...the phone company! She won $1.2 million plus $375,000 for her husband for "loss of spousal services and companionship."
Old 07-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Weren't those cases before tort reform?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Most (all?) of those are urban legends.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:03 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am not fan of abusive law suits, but the listing of the coffee suit as a bastion of lawsuit abuse is ridiculous. Read the case on that one sometime, and you likely will not mention that again. FYI- the lady sued for medical expenses because she had 3rd degree burns on her hoohaw from the coffee. Again all she asked for was medical. McD's had already been warned numerous times by restaurant inspectors that their coffee was too hot and burned peoples skin, mouths, etc. They were doing it on purpose in order to keep the coffee out longer and not have to replace it as often. They were issued directives to reduce the temp of the coffee. The JURY awarded the lady more cash because they were trying to teach McD's a lesson about their business practices, and health of their customers. The lady won because she had a legit case, and McD's was grossly negligent. Again we are not talking about 95 degree coffee here we are talking intentionally hot enough to blister skin. You cannot do that.
Yep I read that same article a while back... ever since then, I correct every mention I hear of the McD's coffee suit, and how people use it to illustrate frivolous lawsuits... when it is not really...
Old 07-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
In November 2000 Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32 foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having joined the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly the Winnie left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the handbook that he couldn't actually do this. He was awarded $1,750,000 plus a new Winnie. (Winnebago actually changed their handbooks on the back of this court case, just in case there are any other complete morons buying their vehicles.)
Even if they are urban ledgend, i laughed my a** off reading that one... keep 'em coming !
Old 07-29-2008, 05:06 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
Okay, McD's made hot coffee, apparently TOO hot.

How about these:
Sued after getting stuck on the house he was robbing
In October 1998, A Terrence Dickson of Bristol Pennsylvania was exiting a house he finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up, because the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re- enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, so Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. This upset Mr. Dickson, so he sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of half a million dollars and change.

In January 2000, Kathleen Robertson of Austin Texas was awarded $780,000.00 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running amuck inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving tyke was Ms. Robertson's son.

In May 2000, a Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania $113,500.00 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her coccyx. The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson threw it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

In December 1997, Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000.00 and dental expenses.

In June 1998, a 19 year old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000.00 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran his hand over with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice someone was at the wheel of the car whose hubcap he was trying to steal.

Sued the phone company after having complications with the doctor
Michelle Knepper of Vancouver, Wash. Knepper picked a doctor out of the phone book to do her liposuction, and went ahead with the procedure even though the doctor was only a dermatologist, not a plastic surgeon. After having complications, she complained she never would have chosen that doctor had she known he wasn't Board Certified in the procedure. (She relied on the phonebook listing over asking the doctor, or looking for a certificate on his wall?!) So she sued ...the phone company! She won $1.2 million plus $375,000 for her husband for "loss of spousal services and companionship."
lol... you're another victim of Email Forwards... Hope you didn't forward it as well as post here...

They are all FALSE: http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.asp
Old 07-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Yup, those are urban legends.

I beleieve Mcdonalds still makes HOT coffee too hot, but now warns people not to stick it in their crotch.

I know that there is an organization that collects the funny but neccessary warning labels on products for the stupid people and their smart lawyers working our jackpot lotto justice system, with pictures to prove it. I'll look for it. In the meantime, here is one: A baby stroller has a bag in the back to help carry diapers and what not. A big label says "DO NOT PUT BABY IN BAG". DUHHH.

Last edited by Palting; 07-29-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:36 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Again I am not defending idiotic lawsuits. My wife is a defense attorney (corporate) so I am certainly not one to defend idiotic, frivilous lawsuits, and there are countless ones out there. The McD's one is not one of them, but somehow is always the one people reference when trying to make the point of frivilous lawsuits. There is no basis in that. Now if you want to mention the 95 year old man who was suing a well known corporation for asbestos exposure claiming shortness of breath despite the fact that he admitted in deposition he had been smoking since age 5 (yes that is correct. he was a 90 year smoker) and the fact that his neighbor won enough money suing said corporation for asbestos exposure to get a new truck so he thought he would do the same....well I'd probably agree this is "frivilous".
Old 07-29-2008, 05:36 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No, I'm sorry you're all wrong. Everything on the internet is true. This just in...the Batboy will drive for Porshce in the next Le Mans series race.
http://www.comictreadmill.com/CTMBlo...es/Batboy.html
Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again I am not defending idiotic lawsuits. My wife is a defense attorney (corporate) so I am certainly not one to defend idiotic, frivilous lawsuits, and there are countless ones out there. The McD's one is not one of them, but somehow is always the one people reference when trying to make the point of frivilous lawsuits. There is no basis in that. Now if you want to mention the 95 year old man who was suing a well known corporation for asbestos exposure claiming shortness of breath despite the fact that he admitted in deposition he had been smoking since age 5 (yes that is correct. he was a 90 year smoker) and the fact that his neighbor won enough money suing said corporation for asbestos exposure to get a new truck so he thought he would do the same....well I'd probably agree this is "frivilous".
hell the asbestos may have been keeping him alive!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

If you want to read about silly lawsuits, check out www.atra.org the American Tort Reform Association.

In the mean time I'll be interested to see how the guy with the faulty engine makes out. Porsche replaced a lot of engines for the faulty caasting and then more for the botched repair with the sleeves that come loose. I personally think they should give him a rebuilt engine, even off warranty.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry, I've read the details from the "other" side and I'm not persuaded. Sure, McDonald's had received past complaints and past injuries (about 800) over coffee temps. Those facts figures were used to inflate jury anger (so were pictures of Stella Liebeck's injuries I'm sure), as were facts about McD's intentionally keeping the coffee hot to keep it out longer. However, you left out the part where they also made it hotter to enhance flavor and customer satisfaction for those consumers that "carry out" the coffee and still want it "hot" when they reach their destinations.

Still, 800 injuries is a massive amount and McDonald's revenue is over $20 Billion!! This evil corporation should pay.

However one should consider that MickyD's has well over 30,000 restaurants. (All of the sudden 800 reported injuries seems a little smaller.)

Then you consider McDonald's serves over 500,000,000 cups of coffee each year and 800 injuries seem downright puny. Even if one assumes all 800 injuries occurred in one calendar year. That's a problem rate of .00016 percent (Too bad Porsche can't make RMS's that reliable ).

Some foolish doubters might ask, how can 499,999,200 people successfully handle this toxically hot substance without injury? Surely, these fools don't realize how close they all came to the edge of an abyss with this toxic brew??

But McDonald's was obviously making obscene amount of $$ on its coffee after all how much profit is there in the Starbuckesque $5.00 cup of coffee. Those scumbags should pay. (Opps, wait McDonalds served their coffee for about $0.49 cents)......

Finally, one might consider that this lady decided to store this hot coffee in her crotch while piloting a moving vehicle. Does she bear any responsibility here?? (According to this wonderful jury her responsibility came to a mere 20%) (Hmmm, too bad she wasn't driving a Boxster, mine doesn't even have a cup holded and Porsche has obviously received numerous complaints about this dangerous ommission, the lawyers could have thrown Porsche into the party......as they also have obscene profits)

Even the judge realized that the $2.86 million dollar jury award was obscene!!! (The judge reduced it to $640,000 and it eventually settled for less than that).

Little surprise that this result comes from a country that contains 70% of the worlds lawyers (imagine the litigious fun they would have if the Nurburgring was located in the US of A!!)

What's that joke about 500 lawyers at the bottom of ocean again??...

Last edited by Ray S; 07-30-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Homerun, Ray.

Quick Reply: Man sues Porsche over blown engine