2002 996 Cab C4 - considering

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 12:35 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 996 Cab C4 - considering

Hello All,

I am considering adding a 2002 Cab 4. The car has 78,000 miles on it, it is at my dealer, it was a local buy from my dealer and a local trade at a BMW dealership back in 12/07 and ending up being purchased back by the P dealer.

Before I even get to negotiating on price, they are asking a hair under $40k, I am wondering what I should be looking at on a CAB? Top seems to work just fine, it does have what I assume are the typical rattles from the windows, no signs of soaked carpeting.

I drove the car and it actually runs, handles, and stops very well. I have the service records since new and other than routine service, like 3,000 miles or less, it has no major repairs reported. It does show "check body electrical" two times in the past, 1 at 67k miles and again at 71k miles. RMS just replaced by the selling dealer. Although the car looks straight, it does need a good thorough clean up, which I can do on my own. The car does have a hard top as well. It is silver, but not artic as it seems to have more of a gold tint to it.

I am also thinking of swapping the supple leather seats from the cab to my 04 C2. I am thinking it should be simple as both cars have power and heated front seats.

Enough rambling, sorry about that. I would really appreciate hearing if there is anything specific to a 2002 cab 4 that I should be looking out for.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sound like the color is Meridian metallic.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:15 PM
silotwo
Banned

Thanks Rob. You are correct, I looked it up and the color is Meridian mettalic. Anything specific that you think I should be checking out for potential problems with a cab? Also, I just got back from Redmond Wa - talk about a P-car population, it was fantastic.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:48 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
Hello All,

I am considering adding a 2002 Cab 4. The car has 78,000 miles on it, it is at my dealer, it was a local buy from my dealer and a local trade at a BMW dealership back in 12/07 and ending up being purchased back by the P dealer.

Before I even get to negotiating on price, they are asking a hair under $40k, I am wondering what I should be looking at on a CAB? Top seems to work just fine, it does have what I assume are the typical rattles from the windows, no signs of soaked carpeting.

I drove the car and it actually runs, handles, and stops very well. I have the service records since new and other than routine service, like 3,000 miles or less, it has no major repairs reported. It does show "check body electrical" two times in the past, 1 at 67k miles and again at 71k miles. RMS just replaced by the selling dealer. Although the car looks straight, it does need a good thorough clean up, which I can do on my own. The car does have a hard top as well. It is silver, but not artic as it seems to have more of a gold tint to it.

I am also thinking of swapping the supple leather seats from the cab to my 04 C2. I am thinking it should be simple as both cars have power and heated front seats.

Enough rambling, sorry about that. I would really appreciate hearing if there is anything specific to a 2002 cab 4 that I should be looking out for.

Thanks in advance.
I think that the price may be a bit high for 78K. I know that it is a 02, but you may want to look at some other ones with less miles in my opinion if you are spending about $40K. 02 had many changes, but the overall performance, in my opinion is not too compelling to go with a higher mileage one. I am sure you can find a 99-01 with less mileage, and cheaper.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

That price is to high for sure! in my opinion.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:57 PM
silotwo
Banned

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Agreed - I already did tell the dealer that I wouldn't pay close to the asking price and the door is open to make an offer. My cash offer would be extremely south of the asking price, but I don't want to even tender an offer unless I have a high level of confidence that I am not walking into some other problems. That "check body electrical" appearing twice in recent service records bothers me. If I do pick it up I want my wife to be able to simply drive it, I don't want to be chasing a ghost with the service department.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2008, 11:20 PM
cdncanoer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I just bought an 02-C4-CAB with only 50K miles, in mint condition, for $40k, so you should be able to do better.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:04 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm let me think. . . make sure the following items are still with the car:

- hex wrench tool to install the hard top
- plastic caps covering the holes where the hard top attaches in the rear
- tool kit, including the electric air pump for the collapsible spare

Accessories you are going to want to get for the cab to increase the enjoyment:

- wind deflector
- SmartTop
- RemoteTop

You're going to love it. It's the perfect 4 season convertible.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:27 PM
silotwo
Banned

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. Before I could put together an offer the dealer contacted me with their absolute bottom line of $38k so I politely declined. I was thinking closer to $30k max given the mileage and the lack of a clean interior and exterior.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:56 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, it's more a buyer's market for convertibles around Dec-Mar. The theory being that it's a slow time for car sales. Nobody is looking of a ragtop in the winter and everybody has blown their budgets on X'mas gifts.

Keep looking, it's worth it
Old 07-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. Before I could put together an offer the dealer contacted me with their absolute bottom line of $38k so I politely declined. I was thinking closer to $30k max given the mileage and the lack of a clean interior and exterior.
I don't think this is worth more than $34/35K especially given the current market conditions

Quick Reply: 2002 996 Cab C4 - considering