Sponsored by:

Thanks god.. this is what could have happened

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
We had a couple of RRs. The early one (1992) was great. The later one sucked! We would keep champagne in the car just to celebrate every time we actually go somewhere without breaking down.

I love it!

I've owned 1 SUV - sold a few years back, but when I was shopping I really wanted to buy a RR. The reliability was what stopped me from buying. No matter how hard they try it seems like they're always playing whack-a-mole one some issue or another.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:09 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac

I love it!

I've owned 1 SUV - sold a few years back, but when I was shopping I really wanted to buy a RR. The reliability was what stopped me from buying. No matter how hard they try it seems like they're always playing whack-a-mole one some issue or another.
out of warranty they can be just straight up disastrous to your peace of mind
Old 07-18-2008, 05:12 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How would you know?

To my knowledge noone outside of Porsche has seen the final product.
PCNA event and focus group. I have been inside each model. Lots of metal detectors and searching on the way in.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by htny
I hadn't seen those images yet. It's still pretty heavily padded out with camouflage - if you look closely you'll see all the crap that they have taped onto the car to disguise the lines. Very little of what you're looking at is real... the door lines are hidden, as are the lines around the front and rear quarters. It's amazing that they can do that without throwing out the weight distribution and handling.

It's funny because you can see all the parts that they've cannibalized from earlier models to put on the car... my favorite is always the MK1 sport design wheels.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by htny
out of warranty they can be just straight up disastrous to your peace of mind
I can imagine. I'm perfectionist, so it would have driven me nuts to have to keep working to fix it.

Originally Posted by salayc
PCNA event and focus group. I have been inside each model. Lots of metal detectors and searching on the way in.

Well, that makes you one lucky dog.

Why would they change anything on the console from the ones that they're using on the 911 and the Cayman? - that doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:54 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Why would they change anything on the console from the ones that they're using on the 911 and the Cayman? - that doesn't make a lot of sense.
It appears they are going for the Luxury sedan crowd / cockpit interior. There are way too many ***** and buttons. It doesn't seem to be directed at the sports car crowd although the tach is still predominant in the cluster.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

It appears they are going for the Luxury sedan crowd / cockpit interior. There are way too many ***** and buttons. It doesn't seem to be directed at the sports car crowd although the tach is still predominant in the cluster.
yuck! I didn't want to hear that. I want a 4 door sports car I can enjoy with the kids.

Hmmm. I hope they revise that before the car is released.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Who knows the performance? I have just sat in them and played with all the stuff. There's a turbo which they are pitting against an AMG Mercedes so there's going to be something in it for a sportscar fan.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Who knows the performance? I have just sat in them and played with all the stuff. There's a turbo which they are pitting against an AMG Mercedes so there's going to be something in it for a sportscar fan.
Yeah, but if I wanted turbo performance it would be in a 911 and not a Panamera. I figure a base, or an S should be fine performance.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cayenne looks great in the turbo version and the GTS version...Porsche should just stop making cheaper versions of the different models...and stick to the top of the line versions!! But I understand they need to make money

On another note....if the stretched 4 door 911 was spottted in 1991..this means that the 996 was already 10 years old before going into production.....
Old 07-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
On another note....if the stretched 4 door 911 was spottted in 1991..this means that the 996 was already 10 years old before going into production.....
...well, at least the exterior design was.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:32 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb

So if the 10 year old 3.4s are actually 20 years old, is that why EVERY SINGLE ONE is going to blow up?
Old 07-19-2008, 06:34 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, but they're not really SUVs, as you said, they're more of an inflated station wagon.

Hey, nothing wrong with Bratfut, I did some years prowling there also - that's where I met my wife.
What was a nice girl like that doing in a place like Bradford? She was at grave risk of meeting dodgy characters like me and my MBA class
Old 07-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NNH
What was a nice girl like that doing in a place like Bradford? She was at grave risk of meeting dodgy characters like me and my MBA class
No way! You graduated from Bratfut?!?! Which year?

She was there for a year on a study abroad program. I was there doing my undergrad degree. We met through Ramair... I was the Bratfut version of Alan Freeman.... not arf!
Old 07-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NNH
So if the 10 year old 3.4s are actually 20 years old, is that why EVERY SINGLE ONE is going to blow up?
Hey, don't start - it's bad enough that people are going ape over on the other thread.

Quick Reply: Thanks god.. this is what could have happened