Sponsored by:

Thanks god.. this is what could have happened

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
I felt the same way about the Cayenne until I drove one. Say what you want about the styling, that's one fine SUV. If I didn't have to pull a car trailer I'd own one for sure.
Oh, I agree - it's one of the most capable SUVs out there... we just need to put a paper bag over it's head and turn out the lights.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:03 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Oh, I agree - it's one of the most capable SUVs out there... we just need to put a paper bag over it's head and turn out the lights.
Seems more like a 2-bagger to me.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NNH
Seems more like a 2-bagger to me.
...a rough cold night at the cattle market in Middlesboro.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:26 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

For an SUV, what do you think looks good?

Loved my old 2000 Toyota 4 Runner. I love the Land Rover Defender. I loved the look of the Range Rover and I like the Cayenne. There isn't any other SUV that I can say I like the look of. Specially the large Escalades with spinners talk about fugly.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:30 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by perryinva
Ahem..ahh Porsche is not exactly my beloved brand..I like and love many things Porsche (and BMW) but both companies seem to really have trouble understanding the concept of cars we want in the US or North American market. I don't know much about Ferrari, but from what I've seen, I'd be leaning towards them as my beloved brand...but then again, I'm Italian...
We have one thing in common. I too like Porsche and BMW! However, I'm European and just live in the US on time as Expat. Before I moved here, I got the impression that Porsche and BMW have trouble understanding the concept of cars we Europeans want but now I know why Porsche didn't built a sedan before an SUV and why BMW increases the hp of their entry level inline 6 with each generation: it's for the US market.

However again, during the past years another important market developed for these brands: China. Did you know that today BMW's 2nd largest market behind the US is China; not Germany anymore! So what most of us Europeans and Americans probably don't know is what concept of cars the growing Asian markets desire. It's very hard to capture the whole picture from the outside and I'm sure that Porsche and BMW know what they do as it seems they do their homework. It's too expensive not to!
Old 07-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jumper5836
For an SUV, what do you think looks good?

Loved my old 2000 Toyota 4 Runner. I love the Land Rover Defender. I loved the look of the Range Rover and I like the Cayenne. There isn't any other SUV that I can say I like the look of. Specially the large Escalades with spinners talk about fugly.
True... IMHO the Range Rover design is boxy and still living in the '70's. The Discovery isn't bad, but a little too skinny - looks like it's a little too prone to tipping.

SUVs generally aren't pretty.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:36 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

True... IMHO the Range Rover design is boxy and still living in the '70's. The Discovery isn't bad, but a little too skinny - looks like it's a little too prone to tipping.

I quite like the new school of the Ford Edge, Lexus RX330, etc. They look like a chunky hatchback that's been inflated by a compressor...
Old 07-18-2008, 04:37 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

...a rough cold night at the cattle market in Middlesboro.
I was having Bradford flashbacks
Old 07-18-2008, 04:41 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think aesthetics are debatable, but I'm sure they are building the Panamera to run rings around the Quattroporte, S8 and the Flying Spur. I understand sizewise it's more S6/M5/E55.

Anyway the buzz in places like Dubai over this car is pretty high, and I think the same can be said for NY & LA. I'm sure it will sell well out the gate, after all, how many guys defer their 911 ownership until their families are grown?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NNH
I quite like the new school of the Ford Edge, Lexus RX330, etc. They look like a chunky hatchback that's been inflated by a compressor...
yeah, but they're not really SUVs, as you said, they're more of an inflated station wagon.

Originally Posted by NNH
I was having Bradford flashbacks
Hey, nothing wrong with Bratfut, I did some years prowling there also - that's where I met my wife.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by htny
I think aesthetics are debatable, but I'm sure they are building the Panamera to run rings around the Quattroporte, S8 and the Flying Spur. I understand sizewise it's more S6/M5/E55.

Anyway the buzz in places like Dubai over this car is pretty high, and I think the same can be said for NY & LA. I'm sure it will sell well out the gate, after all, how many guys defer their 911 ownership until their families are grown?
Exactly - I have a 3 year year old and a second one arriving within weeks... I look at the Panamera as my way to get seat time in a Porsche on days when the 911 isn't practical.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:46 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hwk72
However again, during the past years another important market developed for these brands: China. Did you know that today BMW's 2nd largest market behind the US is China; not Germany anymore! So what most of us Europeans and Americans probably don't know is what concept of cars the growing Asian markets desire. It's very hard to capture the whole picture from the outside and I'm sure that Porsche and BMW know what they do as it seems they do their homework. It's too expensive not to!
India, China, Russia, and the Middle East are collectively a huge market which is actually exhibiting insane luxury goods growth. Several years ago Mercedes set up a plant in Pune, India, which they claim is their highest initial quality plant, solely to service the huge demand in Asia, and the exotic dealers in these regions are so backlogged it's unbelievable. I think it's natural that product design eventually bend around growth markets!
Old 07-18-2008, 04:46 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't been the biggest Cayenne fan either, but I must admit that the GTS tweeks just enough of the right style elements to make me intrested in owning one.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

Speak for yourself.

Porsche doesn't design cars for North America. They design good, robust, speed machines for race enthusiasts.

Any company that designs for one market is doomed to failure.

I'm sure you can define what the people of North America want, but I cannot and I'm sure the are many others like me.

PS, are you real Italian, or fake wannabe italian? Many americans claim to be italian, irish, scottish, etc without having ever set foot in the country... that always cracks me up.
Totally agree with you here ! See what is happening to Ford, GM etc... they're all virtually bankrupt. The only P&L's still making money are their European brand.. Chevy and Ford are super profitable in WE and EE.

As far as your second comment, I love it... Being born in the US, makes you an american... not Italian - even if your grand parents were Italian
Old 07-18-2008, 04:49 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

After we got done with it as a family hauler we put a lift in our RR and turned it into an off road toy. The boxy design looked pretty good by the time we were done.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Thanks god.. this is what could have happened