Sponsored by:

CEL---- o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 PM
nola911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL---- o2 sensors

Guys, my car is at the stealership for a 30k service. On the way over there, the CEL came on, no problem I thought, I am going to the service center... Anyway, the reading shows a bad o2 sensor, but they cannot repair/replace or confirm the error because I have a custom exhaust... headers, high flow cats, mufflers.

They recommend replacing all parts to OEM and run it stock to get rid of the code. I recommended they check in to the local psych ward. Since they cannot guarantee any results, my dilema is, should I just pay them to replace the o2s and risk the light coming back on? Should I shell out the money to replace the cats that they think are bad and replace o2s?

I don't want to restrict my system, as it is full exhaust, intake, and programmed. I also don't want to spend 3k dollars for a meaningless CEL. Otherwise, I can clear it myself and ignore it for as long as possible, but what is the downfall of running with bad o2 sensors.

I need to pick it up tomorrow or I need to tell them to repair it, i will be trying the other boards as well.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:47 PM
jcalhoun
Instructor

It is much cheaper to replace the sensor. Buy it yourself at suncoast and install it yourself. To clear the code you will have to disconnect the battery. Just remember that you will need your radio code. If the dealership is planning on replacing the MAF sensor anyways, it might be worth giving it a try.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
nola911
Track Day

Thank you for the quick response.

Well, the crooks charged me 130 dollars to diagnose the engine code... which they failed to mention when I dropped it off. This can be applied towards the repair if I have them do any sort of repair, so I was thinking to just change them anyway since I had 140 dollars worth free.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:00 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maxferran@yahoo.com
Guys, my car is at the stealership for a 30k service. On the way over there, the CEL came on, no problem I thought, I am going to the service center... Anyway, the reading shows a bad o2 sensor, but they cannot repair/replace or confirm the error because I have a custom exhaust... headers, high flow cats, mufflers.

You have a code indicating a bad O2 sensor or you have an code which is the O2 sensor giving an error? I.e. the O2 sensor will set off a CEL if you are running rich or lean for any number of reasons which is an O2 sensor related CEL but not an indication of a bad O2 sensor. What's the code?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:15 PM
nola911
Track Day

No, running rich or lean I would be OK with.

He said it is indicating "failing sensor" which leads me to believe I should replace them. BUT, he said doing so is worthless without reverting the exhaust to stock form, which is not an option.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:25 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

First please tell us what the car is. Second, get the actual code (since you were ripped off $140 for it it is yours). Post the numbers here so we have a better idea. The guy sounds like an idiot as plenty of O2 sensors work with aftermarket exhaust. It could be as simple as it came unplugged or was plugged in wrong....post the codes please.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

... or it could also just be the MAF, as they will throw out flags on O2 sensors.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 AM
nola911
Track Day

Yeah I will see what I can get from them in the morning. The car is a 99 c2

Will post more info as it becomes available.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:22 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car! How many miles?
One question. How long ago did you upgrade the exhaust? 1st thought that comes to my mind is if it's run with that exhaust system for a good while, then it has nothing to do with the o2 sensor failure. 02 sensor's do go bad after a while (100,000+ miles).
Sounds like this guys making you diagnose the car so he won't be responsible if his repair doesn't work. I'd say take the car somewhere else and call it a $140 lesson (pretty cheap lesson in the Porsche world).
Did I say that's a NICE car??
Old 07-16-2008, 11:12 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From time to time I do have a CEL too (code 1276); it started with the aftermarket headers that I put on my '00 C2 (42k miles); aftermarket exhaust alone didn't trigger CEL. Last time it popped up, I just checked the code with my OBD II reader and erased it. However, the time before I had this code I cleaned my MAF (I had the same code together with a MAF related code when my MAF went bad after the K&N CAI install). However, it can be that there's an air leak somewhere in the exhaust system that triggers this CEL which I'll check when I've my car on a lift next time. If there's no leak and the CEL comes back, I plan to change the O2 sensor. Car runs great and it doesn't harm the engine even if the O2 sensor would be bad.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:26 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless I'm crazy the exhaust itself would have to be awful for it to throw enough grime back to the O2 sensors to cause problems. headers miiight be able to cause problems, but before you go paying people money for labor, ask your dealer if you can apply the 140 bucks you owe them to new sensors from the parts department. Then crawl under, inspect, replace yourself and reset. That's what I'd do
Old 07-16-2008, 06:57 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the crooks charged me 130 dollars to diagnose the engine code... which they failed to mention when I dropped it off.
That f@cking blows. Next time the CEL comes on, go to Autozone and ask to borrow their code reader for 5 minutes. It's free.

You could try clearing the code and waiting to see if it comes back.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:28 PM
nola911
Track Day

Thanks for all the great responses guys. The car has 40k miles on it. Since the fluids looked especially dirty and I do not know the full history of the car, I had them do the 30 service. The exhaust system is suspected to have been on since 99. I didn't install it. The car was owned by a porsche service manager for the first 20k miles, so I would imagine things SHOULD have been done correctly.

If they allow me to do it, I will be applying the diagnostic fee to the parts and leaving with them as suggested. I will not be back to the dealership after this service. They gave me just enough bad taste to lose my business. Which blows my mind because with the economy the way it is and the ability to use internet for car shopping, it seems like dealerships would be treating customers like kings to keep them happy.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I will not be back to the dealership after this service. They gave me just enough bad taste to lose my business. Which blows my mind because with the economy the way it is and the ability to use internet for car shopping, it seems like dealerships would be treating customers like kings to keep them happy.
Ahh, the joys of getting to know your local Porsche dealer and learning to bend over when instructed and take it without lube.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:57 PM
tris911
Advanced

my cel went on the other day without anything unusual in the engine bay. i figured o2 sensor or maf since i had the evo intake installed last year. also, i tightened the gas cap. i cleared it by disconnecting the battery, will watch it closely before i go to the dealer, i'd go to autozone first if it comes back on.

Quick Reply: CEL---- o2 sensors