Help! Alarm related problem with aftermark radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:36 PM
elsiesvg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Alarm related problem with aftermark radio

Guys,
If anyone can help on a small problem I'm having, I'd be reallyu grateful. I have a 2002 (euro) 996 C2 which was equipped with the stock CDR-22 CD radio player until two days ago, when I had a JVC head unit installed with an Ipod driver cable which runs down the back and out on the passenger side.

Since fitting the new HU, I get the "glovebox not closed" single horn alarm beep when I central close the car. I went back to the shop that fitted the HU. They filled with the radio, pulling it half out and so on... when they do that, sometimes the horn alarm will beep when closing the car and other times it won't. It clearly looks like when the HU is pushed all the way in, it's putting pressure on some sensor cable at the back there that I suspect runs to the glovebox and lets the car's systems know when it is open so that this wretched horn alarm can beep.

It's nothing major but it's driving me round the bend. Before I go to Porsche, I wondered if you guys might be able to help. I have a couple of ideas, can anyone let me know if I'm on the right track:

1. The alarm system is actually wired into the CDR-22 HU and when disconnected, there's something you have to do to let the car know there's a different HU in there (which presumable involves going to Porsche and getting the computer on the car)?
2. There's a sensor wire in the back of the radio area that needs to be disconnected?
3. There's a fuse for this alarm that can be taken out (I don't mind losing this glovebox alarm function)?
4. Any other ideas?

Thanks guys.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:18 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...23&postcount=3

De rien.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:29 PM
elsiesvg
Advanced

Merci, c'est super (and for those non French speakers out there, this translates as "thanks a lot" )
Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 PM
elsiesvg
Advanced

Done it at last! As this seems to be a common problem (judging by the number of posts on this and other forums about this), I'd just like to share my experience on fixing the problem.

Some posts talk of a brown wire with a blue stripe as the alarm wire. This is true, but please note that my car has two such wires, one directly on one of the radio connector harnesses and the other, the alarm wire, which is initially hard to find.

This wire is actually connected to a pressure plate on the left hand side of the radio mounting bracket as you look at it. The pressure plate presses against the radio and when it meets metal, it sets off the alarm. With my aftermarket HU, putting loads of masking tape over the left hand side did not cure the problem. The only cure came when I disconnected (I didn't cut the wire and I advise against cutting it as it is not necessary) the alarm wire by pushing back the clip which connects it to the pressure plate.

Once that is done, simply tape up the clip to prevent any risk of shorts and you're done No more annoying alarm beeps when you close your car (on top of the irritation this generates, it actually puts the alarm system in a sort of "alert" mode and means your car may not be properly alarmed if you leave it like that).

There, hope this helps anyone else with the problem.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a plastic insulator on the side of the oem radio for the alarm contact. After market radios do not have this insulator, so the alarm contact touches the metal body of the radio and you get the single beep when you set the alarm.

Some people like to hear the single beep because it tells you the alarm has been set. Your car is still protected, just not the radio.
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2008, 12:25 PM
elsiesvg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
There is a plastic insulator on the side of the oem radio for the alarm contact. After market radios do not have this insulator, so the alarm contact touches the metal body of the radio and you get the single beep when you set the alarm.
Yup, my OEM radio had this. But covering up the corresponding part with tape did not help disconnect the alarm.

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Some people like to hear the single beep because it tells you the alarm has been set. Your car is still protected, just not the radio.
Are you sure? My car didn't seem to behave that way. Closing the door would not activate the alarm in the same way: the interior lighting would stay on and the flashing led on the console's lock button wouldn't come on. When closing the car with the radio out (i.e. in "normal" alarm mode, radio alarm contact not activated), the interior lighting would go out and the red led would come on. I'm pretty sure this means the car isn't protected in the same way...
Old 07-12-2008, 08:13 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

That's odd. I had this same problem and while the horn did go off indicating an alarm fault, it would still arm the alarm and shut the lights off.

Tape on my new deck didn't seem to work, so I solved it by putting the CD holder where the OEM stereo was, and moving the aftermarket deck to the lower section of the console.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:54 AM
elsiesvg
Advanced

Originally Posted by kunkstyle
Tape on my new deck didn't seem to work, so I solved it by putting the CD holder where the OEM stereo was, and moving the aftermarket deck to the lower section of the console.
A clever and very clean solution
Old 07-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I just popped the wire off and capped it with some tape. But I kinda miss the beep.

Quick Reply: Help! Alarm related problem with aftermark radio