Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 as First Car for College Graduate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:35 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 as First Car for College Graduate?

Hello Rennlist; longtime lurker, first-time poster.

In less than a year I will be graduating from college and my projected beginning salary coupled with the sale of my current vehicle, a hand-me-down 2004 Ford Explorer, means I can expand my horizons and finally get a car I'm really excited about.

For a while I had been back and forth between year-old examples of the Infiniti G35 and the new Lexus IS350, but I recently had the opportunity to get some seat time in a 996 which, naturally, I thoroughly enjoyed... you guys know the feeling.

While I could comfortably afford a 3.4-liter 996 C2 (good early ones are around the same price as the G35s and IS350s I'm also considering), I'm worried about maintenance. The G35 and IS350 would be recent Japanese cars with warranties, while the Porsche would be an ageing German car long off-warranty (with a younger driver at the helm!). Of course, before any purchase, I would find a nice example and get a good PPI, but of course that does not alleviate all concern, and if mechanical reliability got too bad (and I've heard some horror stories) I could be in some trouble.

I know the saying is "You've got to pay to play," but a saying of mine is "You only live once," and while the G35 and IS350 are exciting, they aren't a 911. Do you think it's possible to get a 996, or should I keep looking at the Japanese sedans and save the Porsche purchase for when I have some more money? Is it possible to run a 996 911 mostly trouble-free for the next few years, or am I kidding myself?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
justinbig87
Intermediate

Wow, sounds so familiar. I too was in your very same situation. I'm 26 now, and have my first Pcar, a 2000 996. I found myself reading to death about the bad things that could happen with the 996s . . . but forgot to realize all the good things that go alone with having a Porsche, particularly a 996.

Let me explain. The internet, with forums such as these, will have a lot of stories about the problems people are having. And yes, you should consider them, but don't for a second believe all things in these forums happen to everyone. I bet if you were to look at G35 forums you'd see a ton of threads dedicated to problems with that car. I know I did when I had my 04 F150.

My car has 63,000 miles and has been superb in every way (knock on wood, lol). You already seem to know the value of a good car and a good ppi, so I say when the 996 comes around that checks out, go for it!!! You will not regret it!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:19 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You probably don't want to hear this from an old guy (49 yo) like me, but the best advice I got on graduating from college was: live the next five years like you're still in college and save all you can.

If you do that you'll be so far ahead financially, you'll have no problem affording a Porsche.

Just my $0.02
Old 07-06-2008, 09:19 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually I would love to tell you to damn the torpedoes, but honestly I wouldn't buy one of the older cars without some reserves for major events. Maintenance isn't going to break your back. It takes off the shelf mobil 1 oil, and you can cheap out on tires and all that. It's the big stuff you need to evaluate you readiness for. Even with a six figure income straight out of college, I went with a warrantied new MB that I could afford to buy in cash, and I wouldn't buy any car that sold for 80-90K new without a sufficient reserve for unforeseen expenses.

The justification in buying an older car with no warranty is that the money you save on depreciation and the CPO/third party warranty premium may deliver a better return in a liquid investment vehicle. If you are squeezing into it, and are not choosing between reserve/no reserve, you're on a tightrope. In all likelihood nothing happens which requires you to break the bank, but if it should and there's no bank to break, well...

My advice to you is to hold onto your relatively late model explorer for one year of your employment, you'll take a bath selling it with these gas prices right now anyway. Save a ton of money, and then in year 2 buy that 996 you really want.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:22 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 996 with 35K miles on the clock a year ago. I have changed the oil a few times, some new tread, some other fluids here and there, and should probably get it serviced again soon, but I now have 54K miles on it. It's been in a few times for minor things that were covered under CPO. If I had to guess....maybe 4 or 500 bucks in stuff if I hadn't been covered. Still running the same as the day it arrived. Ridiculously reliable cars for what you get. True...it's not a honda or infiniti...but those cars aint Porsches. I would say grab an '02 or newer if you can swing it. Good luck!

J

Last edited by JBRipps; 07-06-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree with PJorgen - my advice (and yeah, I'm even older than he is) - put as much of your salary away in a 401K and drive a POS for a few years. Then get the car you really want. Just my $0.02 - which is what you'll have in your savings account if you buy the P-car now. You've got lots of years to satisfy your Porsche itch. Try to hold off scratching it for a bit!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Agree with PJorgen - my advice (and yeah, I'm even older than he is) - put as much of your salary away in a 401K and drive a POS for a few years. Then get the car you really want. Just my $0.02 - which is what you'll have in your savings account if you buy the P-car now. You've got lots of years to satisfy your Porsche itch. Try to hold off scratching it for a bit!
Same advice here from me. Save your money.

Someone around here said something a few days ago that sums it up well. You might be buying a used car for $25K, but any expenses that it needs are based upon it being an $80K when new. Right now saving is the wisest move - come back and buy the 996 in a few years.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:09 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Phil G.
But it's so hard!

Thanks to the posters thus far for advice. To be honest, a car is going to be the ONE luxury I give myself after college - otherwise I'll be living frugally; I buy cheap clothes; I only eat out on special occaisons. The Explorer is a nightmare on gas and since its driving dynamics are so ridiculously flawed there will be a new car... the question is just what.

Saving money is very important to me, so even though I could swing a decent 996 (unfortunately, probably NOT a 2002... more like a '99 or '00), a load of issues would give me practically nothing in reserve, which I won't allow. Thanks for the messages regarding reliability and specifically to justinbig87 who has some experience with this exact situation... keep 'em coming!

(btw, PJorgen, the greatest gift in life is perspective, and you have more than me - I always appreciate hearing from old guys... though at 49 you're more than a decade younger than my dad, and I don't consider him an 'old guy' just yet )
Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's not the 996 in particular that you should be worried about, it's any originally expensive old car with no warranty as your primary mode of transportation. Whatever you decide, either go cheap or go warranty. My vote if used no warranty then S2000 OR just lease (if you have job security through the end of the lease term) a new G35 or a BMW for 24 months, they generally have artificially high residuals built in so you pay for less depreciation than you would really experience if you owned, and your costs are predictable (with the BMW practically set in stone due to included maintenance). When you've got capital in hand for a second car, swing for the fences!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 24479
But it's so hard!

Thanks to the posters thus far for advice. To be honest, a car is going to be the ONE luxury I give myself after college - otherwise I'll be living frugally; I buy cheap clothes; I only eat out on special occaisons. The Explorer is a nightmare on gas and since its driving dynamics are so ridiculously flawed there will be a new car... the question is just what.

Saving money is very important to me, so even though I could swing a decent 996 (unfortunately, probably NOT a 2002... more like a '99 or '00), a load of issues would give me practically nothing in reserve, which I won't allow. Thanks for the messages regarding reliability and specifically to justinbig87 who has some experience with this exact situation... keep 'em coming!

(btw, PJorgen, the greatest gift in life is perspective, and you have more than me - I always appreciate hearing from old guys... though at 49 you're more than a decade younger than my dad, and I don't consider him an 'old guy' just yet )
Well, I'm up there with PJorgen in age, but I feel a decade older! My creaks and moans agree with me.

Anyway, fresh grad or not, it all depends on your budget and income. A significant portion of your net income should be budgeted towards a long term investment. Even budgeted towards saving against future costs, i.e, renting a house/apt vs owning one. That's just an example to illustrate a point. Create a financial cushion, a safety net. Should your life take a sudden turn for the worse, you've got something to rely on. If, after that, you have cash to pay for the Porsche, go for it. Realize that although Porsches are reliable, routine maintenance and parts are more expensive than your "regular" car.

That's the sensible, fatherly advice from me, an old man with 4 children.

Now, me, when I was at your stage, blew my first paycheck on a heavy duty stereo system and ate dinner on an ironing board that also served as my work table in an otherwise empty apartment. Then I traded in my wheezing POS car for a brand new VW Scirroco. If I could have swung it, hey, I would have gone for that Porsche! You only live once! And, when else should one take a risk, if not when we are young and can afford to make mistakes since we have all those other years to make up for it?

Buy that darn Porsche!! Take a few "nice" girls out in it. Enjoy life, taste life, live life! Make a few pratfalls along the way, just make sure you survive them and don't go into the criminal justice system. Just make sure you realize that this is only for a finite period of time. Sooner or later, your life is going to be ruled by that one tenet, "Do it for the future". Keep an eye out for when that time is right for you. Until then, live for today!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:13 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

plastics... and have sex with an older woman then get an Alfa.
Priority
1: 401/IRA
2: Home
3: car

You can live in a car... you can't drive a house.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:42 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you:

afford a clutch at 1500 or so at any moment

affort 150 dollar oil changes...

afford a slave cylinder with 5 hours of labor involved.....

Afford brake rotors at hundreds each....

afford the cheapest tires (likely the new sumitomos at about 600 for 4) once a year...

afford the insurance....

Even if you could, look at a Mini Cooper S (better gas mileage) or perhaps the IS....free service/warranty do count when you are not flush.

I waited 19 years after I graduated...and I could have bought one on graduation day.

Just my 2c.

JB
Old 07-06-2008, 11:53 PM
rmillnj
Racer

I got my first Porsche when I just out of college in my first job. You only live once and having a Porsche when you are that young is a really nice feeling. I have some really nice memories of the good times I had with those first Porsches I owned. I don't think I would be remembering a lesser car quite as much.

There are some really good deals on Porsches out there right now. You can buy a really nice 996 for just around $20,000 if you don't mind a few extra miles. Yes, you have to be prepared for a big maintenance bill if something goes wrong, but just about any car can surprise you if things go wrong. If you can get yourself into a CPO car (but that will considerably more than something in the $20K range), you know you will have at least 2 years without having to worry about a super expensive repair.

As they say, you are only young once - enjoy it.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd get the best new or CPO'd car with warranty that I could afford (Mini Cooper, G37, R32, etc.), then in a few years get your first Porsche.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:59 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Dude I will tell you this.

I bought a 99' Boxster when I was 17,on my own. No help from Mom and Dad. If it wasn't for these forums and meets I wouldn't know how to do jack to it...........

I was taught how to change the MAF $200 D.I.Y.........$600 dealer.
Oil Separator $120 D.I.Y........$650 dealer.
H & R springs $100(from forum member)D.I.Y........$1k labor at dealer to install.

Just learn how to wrench on one and you'll be fine;oil change,air filter,spark plugs,cabin filter,serpentine belt,tranny fluid & radiator cleaning.

DO NOT GET A SUPER LOW MILEAGE M96 ENGINE. Go for one with 40-60k on it,that way most of the manu. problems should have surfaced. You do not want to get stuck with a $10k+ engine swap bill.

Oh yeah by the way,now,3 years after my first Boxster I have a 01' Boxster S,my Dad bought a 01' 996 911. These things are contagious.

These cars are fun,but don't let it control all your funds.

Insurance for a 20 y/o o be a driver on a 01' Box S was $5k/year..........I'm put on a van as a primary and Box as a weekend car for only $1.2k/year.

Just something to consider.

Quick Reply: 996 as First Car for College Graduate?