996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket saver; please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw on the news last night that the optimum speed for conserving fuel is about 45 MPH. Anyone care to start a trend?

Takes care of the ticket problem too.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon996
Just saw on the news last night that the optimum speed for conserving fuel is about 45 MPH. Anyone care to start a trend?

Nah. It depends on the car. Maybe for a Civic or Prius. For a Porsche, mileage is best at 90 MPH .
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I agree with Wellard on this one. Being smart and observant is your best defense. I happen to not have a radar detector right now (I think they're illegal in my state anyway), but have nothing against them. However, I've gotten fewer tickes in the years I haven't had a detector. It's too easy to get lulled into a false sense of security. (And the last ticket I got was when I had paced the police chief in an unmarked car... but that's another story!)

I started that trend last night, as a matter of fact. We were in my wife's car (Passat Wagon) driving about 30 miles home from a party. Needing an "excuse" to drive in a "gentle" manner, I tried to get the best fuel mileage I could. I'll admit, I was driving like a granny... but a very smooth granny. And using gravity to the best of my ability (and coasting in neutral for as long as possible before stops/turns).

I get the average mileage up to 35 MPG and let out a little triumphant whoop. My wife says, "is that why you're driving so slow? I thought there was a cop behind you, but didn't see one... Then I thought you were drunk, but you only had 2 beers all afternoon... So I figured you must have matured."

"Haha, " I say, "Joke's on you! I was just playing a little game to see what gas mileage I could hit."

There was a big hill before home, so I only averaged 34.7 MPG on that trip. She hasn't gotten above 30 yet.

As my reward for saving the environment, I took the 996 out for a 'spirited' drive
Old 07-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, the really good way to avoid tickets is to be female. My local (MN) experience is running 99%; men get tickets, women get warnings . . . "Not that there's anything wrong with that" . . .
Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the really good way to avoid tickets is to be female. My local (MN) experience is running 99%; men get tickets, women get warnings . . . "Not that there's anything wrong with that" . . .
Sooooo... we all should have sex changes? I'd be one ugly female if that happened.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:18 PM
taylorsnutrition
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you guys detect VASCAR? Radar dectectors are really only good if you are intraffic or if there is a lot of traffic around. If you are on a country road by yourself it would be no good. My advice for anyone is to just driver around 9mph-10mph over the limit and you should be good.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by taylorsnutrition
How do you guys detect VASCAR? Radar dectectors are really only good if you are intraffic or if there is a lot of traffic around. If you are on a country road by yourself it would be no good. My advice for anyone is to just driver around 9mph-10mph over the limit and you should be good.
You don't detect VASCAR.

There are two white lines on the road and (maybe) a cop sitting in a position where you can't see him waiting to time your speed you as you drive between the lines.

If you're not smart enough to be driving within 10mph of the limit, then you'd better to be really good to slowing down if a cop is sitting there waiting for you.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:11 AM
taylorsnutrition
Advanced

What if he is driving a unmarked car and running moving VASCAR? Say they are behind clocking you from the rear or in front of you clocking you approaching their car?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:26 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

"VASCAR" is simply timing you over a marked course. Cop must be stationary and actively observing/clocking targets - just like laser. Generally more work than they want to do, although laser is becoming MUCH more prevalent. While the product has disadvantages, I applied Laser Veil (do a search) to my daily driver and it MAY have saved my *** twice.

Those who choose to speed without a detector are compromising (as the ad says) their situational awareness.
When I'm without mine, 10 over is all I'll risk...now if the cops would only drive marked crown vics.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:47 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Radar has saved me multiple times. I don't blast around all the time but every once in awhile I get a bit up on the speedometer and that alarm has signaled a cop that I pass a half mile or so later even on a winding road. All who say they don't don't speed...bull. Everyone speeds on occasion, even if unintentional. And please stop preaching to us if your tag says things like "life is too short to drive in the slow lane", or "move ovr" as your license plate. Pretty Please...I asked nicely.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:52 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gregorycarl
Radar has saved me multiple times. I don't blast around all the time but every once in awhile I get a bit up on the speedometer and that alarm has signaled a cop that I pass a half mile or so later even on a winding road. All who say they don't don't speed...bull. Everyone speeds on occasion, even if unintentional. And please stop preaching to us if your tag says things like "life is too short to drive in the slow lane", or "move ovr" as your license plate. Pretty Please...I asked nicely.
+1 MILLION!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 PM
taylorsnutrition
Advanced

Originally Posted by WCE
"VASCAR" is simply timing you over a marked course. Cop must be stationary and actively observing/clocking targets - just like laser. Generally more work than they want to do, although laser is becoming MUCH more prevalent.
Laser yes, you must be stationary. VASCAR, no. They can use bridge shadows as marks or anything that cast a shadow that isn't moving. There are 5 ways to clock cars with VASCAR.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

get some vip/family pba cards...

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket saver; please help