Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket saver; please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Rivarama
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket saver; please help

after reading a couple of threads, I am still unsure about the best technology to save me from getting tickets. I saw there were radar detectors and lazer jammers.
Is there an easy way to get an all around instrument and that does not require too much sophistication in the handling nor its install?

Thanks a bunch
Old 07-06-2008, 02:05 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your head/eyes.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:29 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Rivarama
after reading a couple of threads, I am still unsure about the best technology to save me from getting tickets. I saw there were radar detectors and lazer jammers.
Is there an easy way to get an all around instrument and that does not require too much sophistication in the handling nor its install?
The simple answer is no. All they do is tell you that someone is pointing a speed gun at you....at that point it's probably already too late. Jammers are illegal in just about most states.

Best option is to use your head or a track.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

+100

The best way not to get a ticket is not to speed.

Your head and eyes are your best tools.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Use a combo of eyes, detectors and common sense...you may still get a ticket...that's inevitable.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:22 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eharrison
Your head/eyes.
don't forget brains
Old 07-06-2008, 10:39 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Radar jammers are illegal in most states. Laser jammers are not illegal in most states.

Beltronics makes a laser jammer / radar detector that is a little pricey ($1,700.00) but it is discrete and Beltronics offers free installation at Circuit City with the purchase from their web-site.

IMO, Valentine 1 makes the best radar detector.

I sold my V1 and have just slowed down on the road. As it has been said before and will be said again "Take it to the track". This is what I have done. Taking the Porsche to the limits still bites me every once in a while. Wide open in 5th is becoming a rare occasion. Instead, I'd rather find some mountain roads and enjoy the handling instead of the top end.

But then again, I drive a 944 NA, so it is all about handling, not speed. Hitting 80(?) in third on an autocross course while on an elevation drop, will certainly get the adrenalin flowing.
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2008, 11:23 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks a bunch
Not speeding is not an option!

Whoever says your head 'n eyes are your best tools don't have a Passport 9500i.

You should always use a Radar Detector. I have a 9500i and highly recommend it. Although, I also hear great stuff about the V1.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Rivarama
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah... sounds like the V1 is the best option even if a little pricey. From what I read it allows for arrows & rear detection.
It's not like I am looking for a detector in order to hit the 100+ mph, but if I can drive 20mph over the speed limit it saves a lot of time on big commutes
Old 07-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are going to speed, then you need to pay attention. Radar detectors are mostly over-rated for the security they provide.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
If you are going to speed, then you need to pay attention. Radar detectors are mostly over-rated for the security they provide.
Agreed. Personally, I hated using mine. It made me more paranoid about getting a ticket and not less. I found that I'm a happier driver now that I don't use my radar detector.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:30 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is instant-on more than anything, you really have to use your head, don't speed coming over hills or around curves, and learn which vehicle models the police are using on your route. If I drove great distances regularly I might consider a V1, but if it was a commute, I would do my best to learn where the speed traps were.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:33 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks a bunch
Borrow Tim's HONDA!
Old 07-06-2008, 01:35 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Drive 10 mph over the limit and don't worry about it. If you need to go 20 over on your commutes, leave earlier and don't be in a hurry. Running late will dramatically increase your chance for tix. Most important, be safe out there.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:37 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If Tim is not willing to share, then your best detectors seem to fall into either the Valentine One or the Passport 9500i. If detectors are illegal in your area, then u have some other choices. Jammers are very expensive and don't work that well.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket saver; please help