996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light after Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008 | 01:28 AM
salayc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pobox604
No Autozone here, but I just tried Lordco. They don't offer the free service, but can sell me an ODBII for $180-300! Ouch.

I'm seeing ODBII's on eBay for a fraction of that.
The one I bought on eBay didn't work FYI.
Old 07-01-2008 | 10:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Had some DTCs showing up over time that at first suggest MAF...

Originally Posted by pobox604
Hey Guys,

This is the second time where I've had an oil change done and my CEL comes on later that day. The 1st time, the dealer said the cap was loose and asked if I had tinkered with it (???).

It's now Friday night, so I can't go back to the dealer until Monday. I'm assuming it's the same problem. I tried tightening the cap, but it seems tight to me. Is there a trick to securing the cap that I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Finally replaced MAF. DTCs came back.

Finally co-worker noticed (heard -- I'm a bit hard of hearing) air leaking past oil tube filler cap (while engine idling of course). One could then wiggle the cap and hear the air leak sounds change.

Replaced cap. $13. No more DTCs. Oh, cap felt sort of tight/good but any wiggle is grounds for suspicion and of course any noise of air rushing past/around cap is grounds to at least replace cap.

More recently, spotted some moisture on trunk lid over engine fluids area (oh, car is an 02 Boxster). Replaced coolant cap and dried all moisture and no more moisture.

My Boxster has just over 193,000 miles and I've replaced more oil tube filler caps (1) and coolant caps (1) and AOS (2) than engines! Original engine. Original clutch.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-01-2008 | 10:19 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macster
Finally replaced MAF. DTCs came back.

Finally co-worker noticed (heard -- I'm a bit hard of hearing) air leaking past oil tube filler cap (while engine idling of course). One could then wiggle the cap and hear the air leak sounds change.

Replaced cap. $13. No more DTCs. Oh, cap felt sort of tight/good but any wiggle is grounds for suspicion and of course any noise of air rushing past/around cap is grounds to at least replace cap.

More recently, spotted some moisture on trunk lid over engine fluids area (oh, car is an 02 Boxster). Replaced coolant cap and dried all moisture and no more moisture.

My Boxster has just over 193,000 miles and I've replaced more oil tube filler caps (1) and coolant caps (1) and AOS (2) than engines! Original engine. Original clutch.

Sincerely,

Macster.
My '99 Boxster is on AOS #2 as well, and engine #2 - new coolant and oil caps along the way

Also coolant tank #2 FWIW - 90,000 miles on original clutch (so far!)
Old 07-05-2008 | 02:35 PM
pobox604
Advanced

Just to bring closure on this one...

Brought the car in the other day. The CEL was due to engine misfires. It was just a coincidence that it happened at the same time as my oil change.

Ended up changing the ignition coil on one of the cylinders.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 07-05-2008 | 02:50 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the follow up. Nothing worse than reading a thread like this with no ending.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light after Oil Change