996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

i like the meguiar's quik detailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008 | 11:13 AM
rleeq
Racer

Originally Posted by rotokim
I've been impressed with other Griot's products in the past. Why do you like their detailer better? I might want to give it a try. Is it much more expensive?
I think it works better. I think it removes dirt better, smells better, and buffs out better. Price wise it’s about the same. Griot’s spray on wax is also a very good product.
Old 06-27-2008 | 09:16 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Yeah, I've been using it for the better part of a decade. Isn't this **** amazing?
I dunno, number 12 there doesn't look too shiny....
Old 06-27-2008 | 10:43 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Originally Posted by carpundit
I dunno, number 12 there doesn't look too shiny....
Hey, they can't all be Concours cars like YOUR Porsche...

Old 06-28-2008 | 12:25 AM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Griot's would really make that #12 pop on that backround!
Old 06-28-2008 | 01:33 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by yasuro
i picked up a bottle at target, just to give it a try.

the product is called: meguiar's ultimate quik detailer w/ hydrophobic polymer technology.

it's main claim to fame is that it's a good protectant between wash and wax. it takes 12 hours to cure after spray on/wipe off application. i found that during our mini-monsoon season here in michigan, that water does bead as advertised and i can easily restore the like-washed shine after drying the car.

since i'm planning on refinishing my wheels anyway, i applied some to my wheels as well. found that the brake dust seems to come off more easily in between washings.

and no, i have 0 affiliation with meguiar's or target.

EDIT: i paid $9.99 + tax for a 22 oz./650 ml bottle. so it's pretty cheap.

Does this stuff really work without scratching the clear coat? I have never used any of these types of products because I have always assumed that they would lead to scratching.

It seems to me that the dirt and debris on the car would cause scratching when you rub the paint. Does the Quick Detailer really provide adequate lubrication to avoid scratching?

If they work so well why would anyone still wash their car the conventional way? BTW, I am aware of the new no-rinse car wash products and I am skeptical of those as well.
Old 06-28-2008 | 05:11 AM
yasuro
Pro

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Does this stuff really work without scratching the clear coat? I have never used any of these types of products because I have always assumed that they would lead to scratching.

It seems to me that the dirt and debris on the car would cause scratching when you rub the paint. Does the Quick Detailer really provide adequate lubrication to avoid scratching?

If they work so well why would anyone still wash their car the conventional way? BTW, I am aware of the new no-rinse car wash products and I am skeptical of those as well.
i'm not entirely sure, but the mother's claybar requires using quick detailer as lubrication for the clay bar, so i assume it provides adequate lubrication. also, i think that the concours guys use it as well.
Old 06-28-2008 | 11:07 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I've always assumed the same thing. I would never rub anything onto a car that hasn't been cleaned first, because your assumption is correct - any grit will scratch.

Originally Posted by yasuro
i'm not entirely sure, but the mother's claybar requires using quick detailer as lubrication for the clay bar, so i assume it provides adequate lubrication. also, i think that the concours guys use it as well.

Yes, but the difference is that you clay bar AFTER you have cleaned the car.

it's funny, because I've been looking at these types of products recently and have not bought any because I came to the conclusion that at best it wouldn't save me any work (because I'd use it after washing) or at worst it would scratch the clearcoat if I used in place of a washing.
Old 06-28-2008 | 09:24 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Hey, they can't all be Concours cars like YOUR Porsche...

Damn, that was cold. Ice cold.

I'm gonna go cry a little now.
Old 06-28-2008 | 09:35 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

I had a real problem with Meguiar's Quik Detailer. When put on a black car with Zaino on it, it causes this oily, greasy mess that won't dry. No matter how much you wipe it with a dry cloth it just sits there and streaks. I didn't notice it in the garage, but out in the sun you see it.

I quit using it now. Smells nice though...
Old 06-28-2008 | 10:43 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TamiyaGuy
I had a real problem with Meguiar's Quik Detailer. When put on a black car with Zaino on it, it causes this oily, greasy mess that won't dry. No matter how much you wipe it with a dry cloth it just sits there and streaks. I didn't notice it in the garage, but out in the sun you see it.

Zaino base plays nice with nothing from what I've experienced

The Z8 I use on top of my sealant is very nice though. I use Optimum no rinse diluted in distilled water in a spray bottle s a quick detailer, and Zaino Z8 after that.
Old 06-30-2008 | 02:26 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Tooloud10,
I'm not too impressed with th job it has done on #12 in your avatar, too streaky.
Old 06-30-2008 | 02:56 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by TamiyaGuy

Cool!!! You just discovered the ultimate "wet look". LOL
Old 06-30-2008 | 09:51 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

I don't use it on a dirty car. I wash my car, dry it, and then use the quick detailer. As you pointed out any grit will mar the clear coat. I don't use it as a substitute for washing, it just improves the overall look of a clean car.
Old 06-30-2008 | 02:23 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Meguiar's products are great.

But consider this and its been discussed many times here before.

Since you're already using the effort to use the spray detailer, you should instead consider using their spray wax like the spray detailer.
Old 07-01-2008 | 09:06 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

So, pardon my ignorance, but I'm a little confused... People use the quick detailer after they wash their cars (like some kind of spray on wax or sealant)? Or do they use it between washes to moderately clean the car (I'm not talking about a full clean, but let's say that a few days after a wash, you're caught in the rain and pick up a little road grime - or there's a bit of dust from the parking garage - or pollen from some trees)?

I have a bottle sitting around, but have been afraid to try it... What I have been doing is periodic washes followed by a wipe-on polymer sealant. Keeps the paint pretty shiny and glass smooth.

Quick Reply: i like the meguiar's quik detailer