996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Wevo Motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008 | 03:51 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Default Wevo Motor mounts

My motor mounts are shot and need to be replaced. I inspected them and one is really sloppy and the other is nowhere near acceptable.

Anyhow I've spent over an hour searching threads today on the Wevo mounts and they seem like the way to go as far as upgrading the mounts. However I can't get much feedback on the standard Blue pillows for the mounts vs. the Black pillows. I'm leaning towards Black just for the fact that my car still spends much of it's time on the street. However Several of the GT3 guys are using the standard blue mounts and state they have no discernable increase in cabin vibrations with these mounts.

I was hoping that Wevo would be able to give me feedback on vibrations vs. the OEM RS mounts or Hard rubber mounts but they wrote back and stated they had no comparison data.

Anyow...if anyone has these mounts and simply hasn't posted about them I'd love to hear your impressions.

http://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassis...gineMounts.htm

Andy
Old 06-10-2008 | 03:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Andy, do you track the car considerably? I do, and still run with the stock mounts and there is NO detriment from running the stock mounts. Contrary to what most will say here, there is not the significant weight shift from using a non-solid mount like the stock ones.
Old 06-10-2008 | 04:04 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Dell,
I agree, BUT somehow with only 45K miles on my car the mounts are shot and the Wevo product seems to be standing up to the abuse given to it by track cars. Also it's cheaper than the OEM mounts so I figured why not. An added benefit is that if they do wear out the pillows can be replaced for $35 vs. another set of OEM mounts at $300-400.

Andy
Old 06-10-2008 | 04:10 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Andy, now that is one rational answer!

If you have to change your mounts then maybe go with the WEVO product. The only caveat is that they do NOT make a 996 mount and will tell you as such. What I find comical is that if you contact them they will say they do not approve them for the 996 yet their website says to use the 993 mounts with a longer bolt.
Old 06-12-2008 | 03:07 AM
MTB
Racer

Andy,
Have you considered RS mount. My mounts were shot and I changed to RS mounts last month, and felt immediate improvement on shifting. And also deeper sound from the engine. I ordered from Sunset for around $330, but you will have to source a longer center bolt. If you need part #, let me know.
OEM mounts are $260/pair, RS mount definitely a cheap/good upgrade.

M
Old 06-12-2008 | 08:53 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The improvement you felt was replacing shot mounts, not upgrading to the RS mounts. You would have felt the exact same thing with the stock mounts. Not sure I follow your "deeper sound" comment. Do the RS mounts have some sort of noise maker attached to them?
Old 06-12-2008 | 09:01 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by MTB
Andy,
Have you considered RS mount. My mounts were shot and I changed to RS mounts last month, and felt immediate improvement on shifting. And also deeper sound from the engine. I ordered from Sunset for around $330, but you will have to source a longer center bolt. If you need part #, let me know.
OEM mounts are $260/pair, RS mount definitely a cheap/good upgrade.

M
I did, but the Wevo's are still cheaper ($280ish) and to me there were a couple of advantages to the Wevo product. From my research on how hard each of these mounts are it seems like the RS mounts actually fall right in the middle of the blue vs. Black pillows on the Wevo mounts when looking at their Shore A durometer readings. I went with the softer of the two options for the Wevo mounts realizing that my car is still much more a street car than track car. Again the really nice bonus for me with the Wevo's is that if they wear out over time (I sure hope not) they can be rebuilt with new pillows for only $35. Or if I get the black (softer) mounts in the car and decide I want more feel from them I can again get the $35 pillows and experiment.

They should be here on Tuesday...I'll report back after the install. Anything's better than my compressed / leaky stock mounts that are in there now.

Andy
Old 06-12-2008 | 12:11 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
IThey should be here on Tuesday...I'll report back after the install. Anything's better than my compressed / leaky stock mounts that are in there now.
I plan on doing the same thing...as soon as you report back with your experience.

Do you have the specs on the longer bolts required for the installation of the Wevo mounts?
Old 06-12-2008 | 12:21 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

M12 x 130mm.

Not sure on the thread pitch so I'm going to buy bolts as well as nuts to make sure I've got the proper thread pitch and everything in place when the mounts get here.

Andy
Old 06-12-2008 | 12:40 PM
MTB
Racer

OEM bolt is 1.5 pitch
Old 06-12-2008 | 12:45 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thx guys.
Old 06-12-2008 | 03:55 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Remember, the vibration that is not absorbed by the engine mounts reverberates back through the engine components.............not sure how that would affect the knock sensor? False readings?
Old 06-12-2008 | 04:00 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You're kidding, right?
Old 06-12-2008 | 04:01 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
You're kidding, right?
Who me?
Old 06-12-2008 | 04:05 PM
Tippy
Race Car

If you were referring to the knock sensor, I am sure the frequency is different and probably not cause a false reading but there will be more vibration send through the reciprocating parts, that is fact.

I have had solid motor mounts on cars twice, just making sure people don't use them on their 996. Not fun to feel the vibes of the motor everyday.

Quick Reply: Wevo Motor mounts