02 C4 Gas issue: please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:02 PM
4-large
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 C4 Gas issue: please help

Putting Gas in the C4 is not working,

If you install the gas valve and the rubber breather cover (rubber corrugated sealer) tight to the car it will only pump $0 .08 +/- then no more
so while you have the finger trigger all on and then pull back the rubber breather, away from the car, it starts to pump if you let the air sealer down and seal it, to the car, it stops pumping, if you let the sealer down and still leave the tank not sealed, leave an air gap that you can see into the gas tube, then It will pump

any thoughts where the vent issue is??

Thank You
Jerry

This type of nozzle, I have not tried ones without rubber sealer but I would guess no problem
Attached Images  

Last edited by 4-large; 06-08-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:29 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You might have a problem with the ORVR system on your car. That is a vapor recovery system that Porsche uses on 2000 and later vehicles.

To check and see if it works, take off the gas cap and open the filler flap fully with your finger. You should hear an audible click. If you don't hear that, take off your fuse box cover and pull out fuse number E6 and see if it is blown.

If it is, pull off the cover on the right hand side of the center console that is carpeted.

Check for a 4 pin connector, the wires should be red with green strip. Near the airbag control unit the
harness chafes next to the airbag mounting point, shorting out the wire and blowing the fuse.

Check those things out and report back.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:06 PM
4-large
Racer

cdodkin,
Thanks for the reply,

This part I am a little confused
Check for a 4 pin connector, the wires should be red with green strip. Near the airbag control unit the
harness chafes next to the airbag mounting point, shorting out the wire and blowing the fuse.

So do this if the original fuse is blown, by adding new fuse ? Right? If it is not blown just report back?

Thanks
Jerry
Old 06-08-2008, 10:22 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4-large
cdodkin,
Thanks for the reply,

This part I am a little confused

So do this if the original fuse is blown, by adding new fuse ? Right? If it is not blown just report back?

Thanks
Jerry
If the evap fuse has blown - then these wires are the most likely point of failure. You 'd want to eyeball them rather than just putting in a new fuse and seeing it blow again!

If the fuse is ok, then it's some other issue with the evap system.

Possibly a sticking valve.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:36 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

To clarify:

This issue can effect Boxster or 996. When you insert the gas nozzle into the fill port it opens a tank vent. This is actuated by the little flap that the gas nozzle opens up when inserted.

Should the vent not open, it makes fueling very difficult and almost impossible. (as originally posted)

The problem can be either with the valve itself, or the switch, and of course the wiring/fuse as described above.

If the fuse is ok - the fault is most easily diagnosed with the PIWIS or the System 2 Tester.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:50 PM
4-large
Racer

This is funny I did not hear the click the first time up. with finger
But I lowered then up and down with the filler flap and then it clicked each time

so it clicks every time, first time I did not notice it

Also E6 is good

Jerry
Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4-large
This is funny I did not hear the click the first time up. with finger
But I lowered then up and down with the filler flap and then it clicked each time

so it clicks every time, first time I did not notice it

Also E6 is good

Jerry
Off to an indy with the computer diagnostics then, that's about as far as the easy diy testing can take you - unless anyone else has some additional steps?

Assume you have no CEL with this problem?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:31 PM
4-large
Racer

Thanks for your help!!!

I need to get rid of a air bag light as well.

Jerry
Old 06-09-2008, 04:00 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check with Loren over on Renntech.org. I think there was a TSB about this issue.

Quick Reply: 02 C4 Gas issue: please help