Sponsored by:

Useful age of NEW tires (PS2)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:14 PM
DanJK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Useful age of NEW tires (PS2)

I'm getting new sneakers all around - Michelin PS2 for an 03 C4S.

The rears came in fine, the fronts were manufactured late 05.

I think the general rule is you shouldn't buy a tire over 2 years old from the manufacture date. True? Meaningless?

I turned them back, but now I need to wait another week. In the meantime I'm running on very worn tires - one with a giant nail in it with a slow leak. No big deal, but wondering if I should just take the 05 tire.

Frankly, at the price of the PS2 they ought to be just born.

Also, has the PS2 been replaced with a new model?

Thanks.
d
Old 06-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DanJK

I think the general rule is you shouldn't buy a tire over 2 years old from the manufacture date. True? Meaningless?

I turned them back, but now I need to wait another week. In the meantime I'm running on very worn tires - one with a giant nail in it with a slow leak. No big deal, but wondering if I should just take the 05 tire.

Thanks.
d
It is surprising that anyone would have 2 year old stock of any particular tire, as production and turnover are generally quite fast.

That being said, if a tire has been stored correctly, i.e. not weathered, compressed, etc., then I know of no reason that it wouldn't be fine to use. I'm sure that tires from a reputable source would be fine.

Think about it, when you install tires on most cars, more often than not they're seriously older than 2 years by the time you get around to replacing them and you never even pause to think about it.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:39 PM
DanJK
Racer

True. I was thinking the same. I just didn't know if sitting on a shelf not being warmed or used would cause changes in the compound or harden.

Tires are from TireVan.com - who said they came straight from Michelin. Thought it was odd as well that they would have a 3 year old tire in stock - especially for such a popular model.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:40 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Dan, I agree with your decision. You shouldn't have to pay retail prices for old product. Whether the tire 'aged' well or not is irrelevant.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

True. I was thinking the same. I just didn't know if sitting on a shelf not being warmed or used would cause changes in the compound or harden.

Tires are from TireVan.com - who said they came straight from Michelin. Thought it was odd as well that they would have a 3 year old tire in stock - especially for such a popular model.
It's unlikely that Michelin would have such an old tire in stock. They make a phenomenal number of tires and would not be able to store tires for that long.

Let me put it like this - of the tire manufacturers I have had dealings with, they are lucky if they have stock more than a few months old - they don't have the space for it and their capital management systems wouldn't allow them to have so much money sitting around doing nothing for so long... inventory is dead money.

They typically are making winter stock in May - so think of that as a 6 month jump on the winter demand. The idea of a tire sitting in a manufacturer warehouse for 3 years is a little silly.

Damon from Tire Rack can comment on this, but my observation is that when a tire is obsoleted it typically takes around 4-6 months (depending upon the model) to disappear from the supply chain - think of that as stock retained in the system.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:45 PM
JoeTanto
Instructor

Where can you find the "born on" date on the tire? I've never thought to look for that when I replaced tires.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:32 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is only on one side of the tire, on directionals, always on the outside. It is usually an obvious oval or rounded corner rectangle molded area around 4 digits. The first 2 are the week of manufacture (01 through 52) and the last 2 are the year. It is normally acceptable to buy up to a 1 year old tire. 3 years is crazy for a new one.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:10 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
It is only on one side of the tire, on directionals, always on the outside. It is usually an obvious oval or rounded corner rectangle molded area around 4 digits. The first 2 are the week of manufacture (01 through 52) and the last 2 are the year. It is normally acceptable to buy up to a 1 year old tire. 3 years is crazy for a new one.
You are right, but they would be awesome for a "tire swing!"
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2008, 10:42 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I would send them back also. I would also tell them I will take my buisness ellswear just for trying to pass two year old tires off on me.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Surprisingly exotic tires can sit on shelf a long time...

Thanks.
d

If forecast wrong, the tire maker can make too many tires. Or the car maker can switch brands. They do this if they can get a better deal and if they have of course nothing in the agreement with their current tire supplier that prohibits them from going to another tire maker for tires.

A tire that is in service -- mounted and at some level being used -- is generally considered past its replacement date at 6 years.

Sitting on a shelf though is not the same as being mounted on a car and being used.

One concern if presented with new tires several years old I would have is if my tire usage would result in this older new tire reaching its end of life (say 6 years old) before I had received full use of the tire.

You could have used the tire. Or you can as you did send it back and seek tires made more recently.

If the older new tires came with a discount though...I'd be tempted to use the older new tires. However, my driving is such that the tires would have no danger of going old before they wore out from normal usage.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:24 AM
DanJK
Racer

Maurice:

If you are referring to me and not Tire Van, they didn't try to pass me the old tires. They were very up front about it - if I wanted them that day - old tire, if I wanted fresh rubber, then 4-5 days. I still do think it is curious that Michelin sent them such old tires, as they say.

Regardless, I get the freshies tomorrow. Looking forward to the PS2 coming off worn Conti.

I've got a nail larger than my thumb stuck in my right front tire. I've been milking it.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
You are right, but they would be awesome for a "tire swing!"
Then you will wonder why your rear end has a date inprinted to it?!?!.............
Old 06-10-2008, 12:41 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you are accepting the tires, right?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:07 PM
DanJK
Racer

Nope. I told them I wanted newer tires, and that 3-4 years seemed a little long - especially considering this is a popular tire.

BUT, about 30 minutes ago I got a call and they still don't have the new fronts in.

Guess my experiment with tirevan.com is about to end. Too bad, because the idea is great.

I know they aren't Camry tires, but they aren't exotic!

d
Old 06-10-2008, 02:50 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used tirevan several times. The first time they etched a hairline scratch completely around one of my rims which is only noticeable when I'm actually washing that rim. They denied of course, but really what, other than a machine, can etch a perfect line around the circumference of my rim?. The good is they used to be cheap. I would get them to order my tires from Tirerack then mount and "road force" balance the wheels for near $20 per rim cheaper than any local store. I think so far I've purchase 12 tires from them. The last time I used them, which was this past DEC/Jan, their prices, or should I say fees have increased. I compaired two receipts to find that there are new charges which bring me alot closer to he price of a tire shop. Just last week I recommended them to a friend of mine, who's Jag comes with the same Pirreli's we use (which rotted from not being driven),who drop shipped his tires from tirerack to a local tire shop and says he's only paying $20 more based on Tirevan's website. I tried to sell him on convienience but tirevan doesn't deliver to his home area.

Nope. I told them I wanted newer tires, and that 3-4 years seemed a little long - especially considering this is a popular tire.

BUT, about 30 minutes ago I got a call and they still don't have the new fronts in.

Guess my experiment with tirevan.com is about to end. Too bad, because the idea is great.

I know they aren't Camry tires, but they aren't exotic!

d

Quick Reply: Useful age of NEW tires (PS2)