Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   How to remove rear seat/install DAS rollbar? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/434515-how-to-remove-rear-seat-install-das-rollbar.html)

pdobbs 06-04-2008 03:06 AM

How to remove rear seat/install DAS rollbar?

Fellas,

I may work for Google, but search is not my friend on this forum. I cannot find a posting on how to remove the rear seat anywhere. I'm sure it's been covered, but can someone point me in the right direction?

I am buying a DAS rollbar for an 01 996 C2 coupe and am going to attempt the install myself. The bar won't come with any instructions so I'll be freewheeling it. I've found instructions for that install, but still none for taking out the rear seat/seatbelts. Please advise!

Many thanks,

Payton

Barn996 06-04-2008 08:55 AM

The rear seat bottoms are velcroed on, so they just pull out.I havn't figured out the seat back removal though either. Hope someone will chime in regarding that.

Chads996 06-04-2008 09:32 AM

It's actually quite easy.

1. Remove the plastic clip (gently - it unclips going forward) on the center point of the back seat rests (in the middle on the carpet).
2. I believe it's a Torx bolt that holds that mounting hinge in place - undo the bolt and slide off the hinge.
3. The rests simply slide off the remaining hinges left on the outside corners.

Overall...very simple and easy to do. Nothing to break (although, the plastic on the center hinge clip can be brittle)

C.

AudiOn19s 06-04-2008 09:48 AM

+1. The tool to remove the bolts is actually a 8mm Triple Square which is similar to a torx head but not quite the same. Might be able to get a torx to work but it's not a direct fit.

Andy

bella1 06-04-2008 11:13 AM

DAS Rollbar

[QUOTE=pdobbs;5476427]Fellas,

I may work for Google, but search is not my friend on this forum. I cannot find a posting on how to remove the rear seat anywhere. I'm sure it's been covered, but can someone point me in the right direction?

I am buying a DAS rollbar for an 01 996 C2 coupe and am going to attempt the install myself.

Hey PDobbs you are buying from me! Like Chadd says it is easy to remove the back seats. The two front seats have four bolts each which are also easy to remove. We should be shipping soon. Good luck.:)

redridge 06-04-2008 11:13 AM

didnt have the tool... but I used a vise grip with heavy cloth between the bolt and head grip. not pretty but effective.

flyingpenguin 06-04-2008 11:40 AM

Autozone / O'Reilly's sell a set of 3 (8/10/12 mm I believe) by the name of "triple square", "star" or "serrated" bits. Less than 10 bucks.

Good luck, Joost

pdobbs 06-04-2008 11:49 AM

Awesome, I knew you guys would be able to help. Thanks Chad, Andy, Alex and Joost!

Barn996 06-04-2008 05:04 PM

Thanks for the info. If it's that easy to remove, it will be just as easy to reinstall when my wife says "why did you remove the rear seats"??

NNH 06-04-2008 05:38 PM

I don't have any advice about the rear seats as I was just too lazy to remove them (it also gives a handy place to hide helmets, etc). However, I and others posted a lot of photos and advice on the DAS install in this thread

ArneeA 06-04-2008 07:27 PM

Use an E21 reverse torx bit for the front seat removal of four bolts.

JBRipps 06-04-2008 08:09 PM

Courtesty of Dutchie in an older thread...diagram included...hope this helps.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/286602-trying-to-install-baby-seat-in-my-02-c4s-need-help.html

J

pdobbs 06-06-2008 01:20 AM

You guys are awesome. I got the backseat out no problem, but I did break the metal pin that holds the seats together in the center. When the time comes to put them back in I'm sure I can order another pin.

Next up... remove the rear seatbelts! Speaking of, has anyone else done this? How do you get them out? I may fiddle with them tonight.

Payton

ArneeA 06-06-2008 01:43 AM

Why do you want to remove the rear seatbelts?

pdobbs 06-06-2008 01:57 AM

For weight. There's no seats back there anymore so don't need the seatbelts either. In other cars I've raced, the belts, mounting hardware, retractors, etc were always pretty heavy. Not to mention, in the Porsche it appears they're placed pretty high in the car.