Sponsored by:

DAS rollbar installation help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:51 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAS rollbar installation help?

I've already installed my new (to me) GT3 seats, and this weekend I'll pull 'em back out to bolt in the DAS Weekender rollbar too. The bar isn't new, so the instructions are long-gone, and BK's website only has installation instructions for air-cooled variants which are one-piece bars. So:

- Do I fit the brace and main hoop together before I install, or do I put in the rear brace first and then attach the main hoop inside the car?

- Does anyone know of a set of installation instructions? I tried here and renntech, but apologies if I've missed an obvious search.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:47 AM
smankow
Pro

Simon, here are the basics as I remember them:

1. remove the seats for added room
2. install the back section of the bar to the rear strut mounts but don't tighten the bolts yet. You'll need to move the bar a little to attach the front section. You may need to remove the bolts to attach the bar.
2a. you may need to remove the rear seat backs if you are also installing seat back braces
3. remove both the upper and lower seat belt pieces (for the front seats). The upper to allow room for the bar and the lower for attaching the base.
4. connect the lower mount to the base of the seat belt (b-pillar)
5. attach the front bar section to the rear and install bolts to secure. You may need to jockey the rear section a little.
6. attach the base of the bar to the mount
7. once the bar is attached and secure, tighten all of the bolts
8. reinstall the front seats/sliders

I'm sure that CDOC could supply instruction, too.

Steve
2003 996
Old 09-01-2006, 12:10 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Thanks Steve
I'll install it tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:33 PM
WearyMicrobe
Advanced

Could you post pictures when you are done, I would like to use the same cage with a single GT3 seat and would like to take a look at it.

Also did yours come painted because it was used or did you powdercoat, just wondering what the cost was for this?
Old 09-02-2006, 01:48 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WearyMicrobe
Could you post pictures when you are done, I would like to use the same cage with a single GT3 seat and would like to take a look at it.

Also did yours come painted because it was used or did you powdercoat, just wondering what the cost was for this?

I'll start work as soon as I get back from getting new rear tyres fitted. The bar is a sort of matte black colour, but I've no idea if that's normal. I don't care enough to paint it, that's for sure!

I'll put up some pics, too.

Incidentally, this is a bar, not a cage, is that what you meant?
Old 09-02-2006, 07:26 PM
WearyMicrobe
Advanced

Sorry about the misnomer, I call anything that does not extend beyond the head a bar and anything that does generally a cage.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

IIRC, you should be installing the horizontal bar first. It's been a few years, but I believe you then thread the bolt that holds the horizontal bar end and the main hoop. This part was very tricky for me and required a third hand to hold all of the pieces in perfect alignment. Once you attach the left and right sides, you have to get the rear legs to line up. You can use either a bottle jack to spread the legs or ratcheting straps to close the legs. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2006, 11:39 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smankow
Simon, here are the basics as I remember them:

1. remove the seats for added room
2. install the back section of the bar to the rear strut mounts but don't tighten the bolts yet. You'll need to move the bar a little to attach the front section. You may need to remove the bolts to attach the bar.
2a. you may need to remove the rear seat backs if you are also installing seat back braces
3. remove both the upper and lower seat belt pieces (for the front seats). The upper to allow room for the bar and the lower for attaching the base.
4. connect the lower mount to the base of the seat belt (b-pillar)
5. attach the front bar section to the rear and install bolts to secure. You may need to jockey the rear section a little.
6. attach the base of the bar to the mount
7. once the bar is attached and secure, tighten all of the bolts
8. reinstall the front seats/sliders

I'm sure that CDOC could supply instruction, too.

Steve
2003 996

Thanks Steve
So, here's some thoughts and observations, fresh from the field...

Parts 5 and 6 are seriously tricky, especially on your own. I just kept working, a millimetre at a time, and when the bolt holes were approximately lined up, I put screwdrivers through them to allow a little play while I worked on other parts.

GT3 seats, BK mounts, and DAS bar are not a plug-and-play solution, but they're not bad. Some random observations:
- The harness bar is a little lower than I would like for the GT3 seats' harness holes.
- BK lowering mounts require you to disassemble the seat-rail structure. There are 4 Torx T-40 sockets, which require a lot of torque to undo. Even after a week of daily penetrating oil, the torx bit will cam out before the bolt will undo. Using an impact driver didn't work, for the amount of force I was prepared to use. For the moment, I'll pull out the rear and bottom seat cushions, and keep spraying that daily oil.
- However, BK sub mounts work just fine on stock GT3 seats. I recommend them.
- I did the seats last weekend for a test fit, which made it much easier to pop them in and out today to put in the rollbar.
- Tape protective wrap on every possible surface. When I put up the photos later, you may all laugh at me, but I was very happy to have bubble wrap taped all over the place!
- Photos to follow.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:06 AM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Default Photos

After an afternoon spent on the car, I finished at last.
In order:
1) The interior, with the seats out ready for the bar
2) The rear bar section in place
3) Don't laugh! You'll thank me later for telling you to protect the door and car...
4) Here is a lower mount attached to the right seatbelt mount
5) After much work, it looks like this
6) After more work, it looks like this
7) Or like this, from the rear
Attached Images        
Old 09-05-2006, 04:46 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! What was the total time installing?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:11 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JC3D
Looks great! What was the total time installing?
About 5 hours all-in, though I think I could now do it in less than 3 hours. An assistant would probably cut another hour off.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:13 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice.
Are you going to be at Streets of Willow this weekend too? I'd like to see what it looks like in person.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:27 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JC3D
Nice.
Are you going to be at Streets of Willow this weekend too? I'd like to see what it looks like in person.
Sorry, I'll be spending Saturday sorting out the harnesses and extinguisher, but I hope to be at the German car festival in Ventura on Sunday, before heading up to Ely NV next week for another crack at the Silver State Classic.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:40 PM
smankow
Pro

Simon, great job and pics. Fortunately, I had a friend who had installed and uninstalled the bar helping me. That saved a good bit of time. If possible, can you also post a pic of the rear mounts (strut top) to show how it looks?

If you add a seat back brace, you will need to remove the rear seat backs.

Which harnesses did you go with?

Steve
Old 09-06-2006, 12:13 AM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smankow
Simon, great job and pics. Fortunately, I had a friend who had installed and uninstalled the bar helping me. That saved a good bit of time. If possible, can you also post a pic of the rear mounts (strut top) to show how it looks?

If you add a seat back brace, you will need to remove the rear seat backs.

Which harnesses did you go with?

Steve

I've ordered a pair of 6-point G-Force harnesses. What sort of angle are you getting from your shoulder harness to the bar? I'm worried it's too steep.

Here's a pic...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: DAS rollbar installation help?