996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How to... change the headlight switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Glenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to... change the headlight switch?

It's like one of those chinese puzzles. I cannot figure out how to get the headlight switch out so I can replace it.

Advice please.
Thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 10:28 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the downlaodable service manual and here is what it says:

Disconnect battery.
Remove button of light switch. Pull out the button as far as it will go and press in the locking element on the lower side witha small scrwdriver.
Undo 3 4.0 x 18 torx screws of the left side vent and carefully pull the side vent out of the dash. One torx screw is located in th elight switch on the right.
Diconnect the electrical plug/
Undo the M16 x 1 hexagon nut of the light switch
Pull the lighting unit switch out of the side vent to the front approx. 5mm
Remove the light switch from the side vent by turning it slightly in a clockwise direction.

Assembly is reverse.
Hexagon nut torque is 2.5 FT-lb

BTW what are your symptoms..mine might be goint too.?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Glenn
Racer

perryinva - this is great. Thanks. Would love to get my hands on the entire service manual. Where did you get it?

My symptoms were headlights would flicker occasionally and now my foglights stay on all the time. I've been told these switches do go after awhile. I found a replacement on eBay so will give you instructions a try tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:45 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

My only issue is just headlights will sometimes not turn on unless I switch on/off/on/off rapidly a few times. When you take yours out, see if it looks like there is anyway to clean the switch contacts. Switch is $100 list, so I'd rather not replace it if is just dirty contacts.

There was a link on either renntech or here, when I did a search on online service manual. They are a bunch of 700mb or so pdfs. If someone doesn't chime in with the link, I'll see if I can find it again. It is a UK site, and for 99 through 00 cars, I believe, but for stuff like this, it is great.

BTW, what suspension is on yourC2?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:15 PM
mrgroove
Advanced

I have the exact same problem... switch it off and on quickly and the Zenon's spring to life!!! Would appreciate the manual too.. would appreciate it very much if you could locate the PDF for download.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

glenn.
i have the service manual and an old PET on cd.
let me know next time you're at the saturday meet and i will bring it down. i won't be going downtown anymore except on wednesday nights.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Glenn
Racer

Thanks - I replaced the stock set up last year with H&R springs and Bilstein sport shocks, GT3 sways and adjustable drop links. Way more responsive, especially on turn in. The roads in Toronto are horrible and I've now come to know all of the little nasty spots on my commute.

Originally Posted by perryinva
My only issue is just headlights will sometimes not turn on unless I switch on/off/on/off rapidly a few times. When you take yours out, see if it looks like there is anyway to clean the switch contacts. Switch is $100 list, so I'd rather not replace it if is just dirty contacts.

There was a link on either renntech or here, when I did a search on online service manual. They are a bunch of 700mb or so pdfs. If someone doesn't chime in with the link, I'll see if I can find it again. It is a UK site, and for 99 through 00 cars, I believe, but for stuff like this, it is great.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Glenn
Racer

Thanks Omar - I'm out of town this weekend, so maybe next week. Will let you know if I'm going.

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
glenn.
i have the service manual and an old PET on cd.
let me know next time you're at the saturday meet and i will bring it down. i won't be going downtown anymore except on wednesday nights.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:02 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

The manuals are old, and there have been many updates, but it is a very good source as long as you keep that in mind.

http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm
Old 06-04-2008, 05:04 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, for the parts list, I would stick with the Porsche web site.

https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/index.jsp
Old 06-04-2008, 05:19 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Yep, those are the sites I downloaded....thanks again Don!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Glenn
Racer

It worked. The switch was the culprit. Thanks again for the help perryinva!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:07 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

You are welcome..two more questions..do you have spacers on your rear wheels, or just a different offset? They look to sit very nice in the wheel well. And what do you think..does it look like the switch may be built in such a way as to be able to clean contacts?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Glenn
Racer

You are welcome..two more questions..do you have spacers on your rear wheels, or just a different offset? They look to sit very nice in the wheel well. And what do you think..does it look like the switch may be built in such a way as to be able to clean contacts?
No spacers. OE 18" chrome turbo twists, so OE offset. The light switch looks to be a sealed unit although I didn't take along look at it. You may be able to squirt cleaner in and see if that works. Once I got the install/egress figured out its a pretty simple install. Every time I work on this car, it surprises me how over engineered it is. As an aside, I know for a fact its the same switch that Audi uses too. Lastly, I should figured this out prior to, but the switch I received from the US was a non-daylight version (ie: headlight are suppose to be on all the time in Canada) so I guess I'll be turning them on/off each time I drive.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:42 PM
mototrmpt
Track Day

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I just wanted to thank perryinva for his instructions. I was running some wires along the bottom windshield and needed to remove the dash piece that held the light switch. I could only see the two screws on the left and actually had the dash piece a bit wedged and could get it to go back in place. The light button and hidden third screw was the key.

Thanks to your wisdom.

Quick Reply: How to... change the headlight switch?