Polishing wheel lips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Polishing wheel lips?

I just picked up a set of Sport Design wheels and I cant help but think they would look really good with the lip polished.
Is there a decent DIY writeup on this? Does not look that difficult. (famous last words)

Old 05-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Marc,

I'm not sure if the SD has the clearcoat, but if not, I highly recommend Mother's Billet Alum Polish with the mother's power ball and drill. It did make day and night difference for me. Less elbow grease too if you use the drill and a porta drill.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:56 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a guy on here actually selling that exact setup - check the classifieds.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:24 PM
porshaw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am the one selling the sport designs with the polished lips. My set originally had curb rash on 2 of the wheels. I took it into a reputable wheel shop to fix and ended up polishing all 4 lips to make them match. The cost was $75 a wheel which I thought was very reasonable and came out looking really good.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the info, That is VERY reasonable, I was going to attempt myself since I don't think local shops here will be that cheap, The quotes I got were high.

They look great!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:49 PM
porshaw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my for sale post, I have more detailed pictures that you can check out. Before I was selling the wheels, I was debating whether to spend the money to have them refinished or just sell them with the curb rashes. I have a good relationship with this wheel shop and figured I can get them refinished for cheaper than most people and it would save them on down time. Anyways, if you plan to do it yourself, Adam's make great wheel polishing products.

Quick Reply: Polishing wheel lips?