Sponsored by:

Sub Woofer Location

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Porx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub Woofer Location

Hi guys..... before i start just wanted to say great forum, i have been registered for while but not a member i posted a couple of threads and responses without any pics of my pig and got absolutely hammered for no pic upload, still my questions have been answered but u guys love giving newbies a hard time i guess. Now a full member i include the pics of my pig in this thread hope you like them.

Ok.... and to meaty stuff... i have searched and found some good material on ICE upgrades including head units (bouble and single din) speaker upgrades etc etc however there does not seem to be any solid info in subwoofer location especially for the cabs... ive seen some good installs for the coupes.. even notices someone putting a sub in the footwell (as per bose install) but seems to change the shape of the well and reduce the size. Is there any space behind the rear seats, i think its the roll bar enclosure ????? i cannot think of anything else apart from the front compartment but i dont want to start compromising that. Im all set for the install, as i have replaced the standard fit HAES 490 set up speakers with infinity replacements.... have the complete 'pin-out' schema to replace the stock amplifier (will be disconnecting crappy door woofers) looking for double din nav unit (as yet undecided) and five chan amp.... but the main prob is the woofer location. so any good feedback would be appreciated.... thank you so much in advance enjoy pics[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Mr. RotorHead
Advanced

In my MY99 996 Cab I chose to install a JL Audio 500/5 amp, MB Quart separates in the dash, 5 1/4 Focal coaxials in the doors, kept the rears stock (fed from a Alpine H/U) and a JL Audio 10W3-D6 in a custom sub enclosure in the back seat. The sub sits in place of the bottom and lumbar portion of the seats.

Originally, I built the enclosure with the sub firing up. However, I was disappointed in the bass response. I built a second enclosure with the sub firing down and was much happier. I listen to everything from DMX to Mozart. More than likely, I will build a second enclosure for the left rear seat this winter to add another sub.

The first picture shows the audio componenet installs. The second shows the sub as it sits in the car and the third simply shows how the sub is mounted in the enclosure.

Let me know if you have questions.

Rotor sends...
Attached Images    
Old 05-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Porx
Advanced

Thank you i like the idea, what i was thinking was behind the back of the rear seats, is this possible you think?
Also what did you make the enclosure out of?
thanks again
Old 05-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Mr. RotorHead
Advanced

It is possible to place a woofer directly behind the seats. However, there's not a lot of room depending on your seat positions. Both behind the seat and in the seat enclosures should primarily be made of fiberglass with MDF. If you search the web for "how to build subwoofer enclosures" then you'll find many DIY articles on the subject.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Why is it speaker facing down? How does it sound facing up?
Old 05-29-2008, 02:34 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

AI Design makes a phenomenal subwoofer that is placed in the same location as the stock Bose sub.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:54 PM
lanny
Racer

to bad that you have a cab and dont have the wasted space that I filled with 2 10" kenwoods. If you do a search you will see alot of places like the footwell ect. that can work.
Attached Images   
Old 05-29-2008, 06:55 PM
lanny
Racer

by the way - love your color!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Porx
Advanced

Thanks Ianny wasnt too sure when i bought it, but love it now
AI design? Thanks Nycebo i want something that is stock or hidden, hate aftermarket mods that look like childrens play school projects. i hope they have a site.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:35 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks exactly like the stock subwoofer for the Bose audio upgrade, only, in my opinion, looks vastly higher quality. It definitely sounds that way. Indeed, now that summer is here, I'm planning to purchase one shortly. Moreover, you can just pick up the OEM floor mats with the cutout and they work perfectly.

Here's the link.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Mr. RotorHead
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mother
Why is it speaker facing down? How does it sound facing up?
It is facing down so that the bass has something to reflect off of. When it faced up, it simply did not push enough air for a sealed box.

If you've ever heard a sealed enclosure with the trunk open as compared to closed, you'll know the difference in sound I'm referring to.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:40 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys with Cab's; how do you get any real bass with the top down??? Just curious???
Old 05-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Porx
Advanced

we dotn at the mo
Old 05-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Mr. RotorHead
Advanced

Originally Posted by FLY996
You guys with Cab's; how do you get any real bass with the top down??? Just curious???
The bass actually hit's pretty hard regardless of the top setting. Hence the reason the sub down-fires into the seat area. It's gonna hit twice as hard when I add a second one.

Quick Reply: Sub Woofer Location