Sponsored by:

Control arm movement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:53 PM
mrgroove
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control arm movement?

Need a little help from the techs... Firstly '02 C2 NB.

I've been hearing a clunk from the rear... I investigated and the control arm looked like it had been moving around as there was a part of the sub frame where the control arm attaches to that is highly polished. Surely this shouldn't be moving? Right?

Take a look: http://picasaweb.google.com/karlgrov...32199736620402

Thanks in advance,
Karl.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

No, the camber eccentric should not be moving in the sub frame unless you have the nut loose and are adjusting camber. You should check torque on the nut, which is 74 ft-lb (but given the space available you might have a hard time doing that with an ordinary torque wrench) and put a paint mark on the nut and the area in question to determine if movement still exists. Some generic alignment shops will fail to properly tighten those nuts to spec and you'll end up with situations like this.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:32 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
No, the camber eccentric should not be moving in the sub frame unless you have the nut loose and are adjusting camber. You should check torque on the nut, which is 74 ft-lb (but given the space available you might have a hard time doing that with an ordinary torque wrench) and put a paint mark on the nut and the area in question to determine if movement still exists. Some generic alignment shops will fail to properly tighten those nuts to spec and you'll end up with situations like this.
I would add that if the car has been aligned numerous times or if the eccentric was over torqued the bolt will not stay tight and will need to be replaced. We had to do this on our 996 race car once a year or so.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mrgroove,

Can you update us on what you find? I just looked at my car in that same location and one side looks exactly like yours. However, nothing moves when I jack/pry on the lifted wheel. I am pretty sure that my alignment is tight and nothing is moving around. Just had the car on the track pushing it and it felt as good as ever.

very curious what you find out.

-Paul
Old 05-21-2008, 03:57 PM
mrgroove
Advanced

Just dropped the car off with my alignment guy! Will let you know.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:25 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I always thought that it is polished because it was machined for a greater tolerance.... but I could be wrong.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
I always thought that it is polished because it was machined for a greater tolerance.... but I could be wrong.
The surface under the eccentric is machined flat but it doesn't have anything like a polished finish. Here is a slightly better picture, which still tends to exaggerate the finish (the part that isn't obscured by the shadow, that is):
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry everyone. Just had a chance to look under my car and I was remembering the adjustment point further back (directly under the sway bar mount).

Mine looks a little polished up at this location but nothing is loose. You can see the other bolt further ahead and to the left.

Hopefully your car is fine.
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2008, 06:17 PM
mrgroove
Advanced

Just picked up the car - the alignment chap stated that what I was seeing is where the bolt was before the re-alignment. I guess what I was seeing was a nice shiny piece of aluminum from where the bolt was originally when stock before I lowered the car which necessitated the alignment!

Sorry for everyone who crawled underneath their cars to take pics...

I still have a knocking though on the drivers side rear? If I drive down the street and weave from side to side I hear a knocking. Almost as if someone was tapping the wheel arch - kind or a tinny sound...

Any ideas chaps?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Last Car
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrgroove
Just picked up the car - the alignment chap stated that what I was seeing is where the bolt was before the re-alignment. I guess what I was seeing was a nice shiny piece of aluminum from where the bolt was originally when stock before I lowered the car which necessitated the alignment!

Sorry for everyone who crawled underneath their cars to take pics...

I still have a knocking though on the drivers side rear? If I drive down the street and weave from side to side I hear a knocking. Almost as if someone was tapping the wheel arch - kind or a tinny sound...

Any ideas chaps?
Mrgroove,
I have this same thing going on with mine; I looked under the car last night and have a little 'shine' under the bolt also (only had my Pcar for a couple of months so I don't know when it might have been aligned) but everthing is 'tight' under there. Please let me know if/when you find out what is causing your 'noise', as it is very disconcerting!
Thanks,
Patrick
Old 05-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Miller_arch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a rattle in my rear end and the sway bar bushing bolts were loose. Actually it was the two bolts in the picture two posts up holding the sway bar, plus the ones on the other side.

Quick Reply: Control arm movement?