Sponsored by:

"Free headers on e-Bay !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default "Free headers on e-Bay !!!

I just got a new set of stainless steel headers on e-Bay. I won a no reserve auction with a winning bid of $22.30!!!, Yes, twenty two Dollars thirty Cents!!!. That is not even the material cost. The headers look like most of the other I've seen both on e-Bay and recognised Porsche tuners. The tig welding looks good, just as good as the original headers i took off. The merge collectors look right, just like the ones shown at FVD's web page. However, one of the points with headers is that the pipes are supposed to be equal lenght. The headers from Surewinproducts are not 100% equal, for cylinders 1 and 4 (the furthest back ones) are about 1 inch shorter than the pipes for cylinder 2, 3, 5 and 6. The fit was close to perfect, and the exhaust sound is awesome, at least up to 5000rpm on WOT, above 5000 the intake roar is higher than the exhaust. They claim a 30HP gain, that is of course BS. Most headers have no gains compared to stock, but the sound is priceless! Right now therre is a no reserve auction on e-Bay, see link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-04...QQcmdZViewItem

If you get this one for the price I did, it's a steal !!!
Old 05-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 110 Posts

Is this the same set that another rennlister showed a loss of power with?
Old 05-16-2008, 01:52 PM
jw996
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBAY HEADERS

I'm the guy who lost power with similar pair. I am curious that there are another set for sell on EBAY that have a different merge collector and the plumbing lay out is also different. They say they are made by same people that make originals. Any opinions? JW
Old 05-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If there is a power loss, that must me very minimal. I can not see why I should loose any HP, the piping and merge collector design is pretty clever shaped. However, I don't expect any power gain. In any case, the purchase price of $22.30 is a steal, and well worth it. I got one hour of fun under my car changing the headers, and a lot of fun driving with the windows down listening to the music coming out from the rear of the car...
Old 05-16-2008, 03:45 PM
jw996
Rennlist Member

It is always a good time working on these things. JW
Old 05-16-2008, 03:54 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you knwo if they will fit the 3.4L on a 2000 996?

Joost
Old 05-16-2008, 04:56 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Come on, something's not right here. If it's too good to be true, it probably is!

Did these headers "fall off the back of the truck" or what?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL IS GOING ON IN THE 996 FORUM!?!!?!?!?!?!!?

Originally Posted by Fly911
If there is a power loss, that must me very minimal.
One word.....science. There is a reason your stock ones are made the way they are.

In any case, the purchase price of $22.30 is a steal, and well worth it.
How is it worth it? Not sure I follow. They wouldn't have sold them for a 20 spot if they felt they were letting you "steal" them.

I can not see why I should loose any HP
How do you know if you are or aren't?

the piping and merge collector design is pretty clever shaped.
How so? You realize there is a science behind it. But shiny bling and "clever" (whatever that means) is what makes some people happy. Still never understood why some people pay money (no matter how little or much) for UNPROVEN parts for these cars.

I got one hour of fun under my car changing the headers, and a lot of fun driving with the windows down listening to the music coming out from the rear of the car...
Well, at least you got that. And that my friend is priceless.

Moral to the story......if you don't care about the ramifications of bolting on unproven parts but enjoy wrenching and that gives you satisfaction, then wrench away, for that is priceless. I am sure you did pick up a small hp gain from the lighter wallet though
Old 05-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice to have you back dell!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:37 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

The OP reads like an ad for the ebayer. Troll?
Old 05-16-2008, 07:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by galeriehughie
nice to have you back dell!
Thanks! Sometimes I just have to shake my head in disbelief and those are "WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL" moments.....
Old 05-16-2008, 07:42 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to have you back Dell - but: with all respect; your post is one-dimensional propaganda.

1) The idea of equal length headers is not an invention of a Chinese factory owner. It's a design that's used in Motorsport since years.

2) The design of more expensive headers and the cheap e-bay stuff is not different at all and we know since decades that the guys in Far East are very good in copying much more complicated things; it's also not rocket science to produce headers.

3) Some people increase the weight of their 996 by putting a PSE system on their car, just because they believe it sounds better. I can tell you, equal length headers do improve the sound of the car as well, so there's not much difference between these mods.

4) Last but not least: the stock headers give you better low end torque and that's what Porsche has in mind when they think about their average customer who shifts to 6th gear at 40mph.

You might not want to realize it, but Michael is not the typical Porsche customer that they have in mind for the 911, it's the guy next door like below one that can and want to afford this car.

WTF, it's Friday night, so off to other - more important things!
Attached Images   
Old 05-16-2008, 07:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Huh? You make it sounds like I disputed presented evidence. I disputed anecdote and assumption. Trust me, I understand how these things work and I understand the "copying" nature of the far east. I also understand that you get (in most cases) what you pay for.

Thanks Harold, you have driven me to drink before my scheduled 8p! Gotta run, have a dirty Greg Goose martini to make for me and the wifey
Old 05-17-2008, 12:09 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dell: come back to the GT3 board.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:39 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by roberga
Dell: come back to the GT3 board.
Somebody left the gate open so I decided to venture out for a bit.

Alright, alright, I'll head back.

Quick Reply: "Free headers on e-Bay !!!