Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What's the point of CAI-type intakes in a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellence also had an article on the GIAC showing gains on the 3.4l and less on the 3.6's but when I mention it folks ignore me.

Originally Posted by Mfletch
A few years back, there was a car featured in "Excellence" magazine. It was the "Jet Blue Clubsport" 996, built by 9ff. They increased the output of the 3.4 engine to a claimed 337 hp, through some pretty extensive modifications (requiring removal of the engine). Those modifications included a different air intake system. If my memory serves me correctly, they used a BMC (GT3 cup car style) conical air filter. I don't believe every aftermarket part manufacturer's horsepower claims. 9ff does have a little bit of credibility, since they set the world production car speed record in a narrow bodied 996.
Here is a link to the Jet Blue 996...http://www.autosportengineering.com/9ff/jet_blue.htm
Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

DC, I wouldn't ignore you. Is it possible that the non-egas 3.4 is a little easier to squeeze a couple extra ponies out of?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:42 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

According to that article, yes.

DC, I wouldn't ignore you. Is it possible that the non-egas 3.4 is a little easier to squeeze a couple extra ponies out of?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

In Feb. 05, there was a car featured in "Excellence" magazine. It was the "Jet Blue Clubsport" 996, built by 9ff. They increased the output of the 3.4 engine to a claimed 337 hp, through some pretty extensive modifications (requiring removal of the engine). Those modifications included a different air intake system. If my memory serves me correctly, they used a BMC (GT3 cup car style) conical air filter. I don't believe every aftermarket part manufacturer's horsepower claims. 9ff does have a little bit of credibility, since they set the world production car speed record in a narrow bodied 996.
Here is a link to the Jet Blue 996...http://www.autosportengineering.com/9ff/jet_blue.htm

You beat me to it... if they're so bad, then why did Porsche put them on the GT3?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:18 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Call the company and ask for an exchange. Worth a try, right?

Originally Posted by jumper5836
your both lucky then, when I checked this morning it had come lose again.

I need to find a longer rubber piece, the fitment of the one that came with the evo cai is too short.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jyoteen
time and time again, it's been shown that the CAI intake is not superior to the stock ones in a VW, an Audi or for that matter, Porsche. If there was that much HP being left on the table, do you really think Porsche would leave that bit alone? It's the cheapest way.
Someone needs to contact K&N then, it seems that they have fraudulently posted on their website that their intakes make some sort of power on VWs, Audis, AND Porsches!
Old 05-17-2008, 07:10 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by befast
Given that the stock 996 airbox guides air from the outside into the filter, what's the point of those K&N-style intake systems? All it seems to do is draw hot air right from the engine compartment, instead of the colder outside. Does it bring *any* performance benefits to have those conical air filters?
Have you ever actually looked at one? My K&N 63 series intake had a heat shield that only leaves it open for the stock scoop to the lid and the top facing side against the rear lid. EVOMS does the same thing, so I fail to see any validity in your comment. The real performance gains aren't from the filter, they are from the increased airflow of the airbox. Take a look at the stock airbox and scoop. The dimensions of the scoop is all you have to get air into the engine. Look out how big the filter is versus the scoop. It isn't hard to how restrictive the box is. Look at the Turbo/GT3 airbox by comparison at how much larger the airbox opening is.

I never dynoed my K&N 63 intake alone, but it defnitely makes a difference. My baseline dyno 100% stock was 270.1 hp (corrected) peak @ 6250 rpms on a dynojet 248C. With just the K&N intake and a pair of used Fabspeed Mufflers, it put out 292.1 hp (corrected) @ 6600 rpms on the same dyno. At just 4400 rpms, there was a 14 rwhp gain. On both the days I dynoed it was very hot. It was 99 on the day I did my baseline dyno and the correction factor was a 1.04. When I dynoed the intake and exhaust, it was only 2 degrees cooler and the correction factor was 1.03. If you look at the raw measeured numbers, the differnce was even greater. So what was the gain of the intake versus the exhaust? I have no idea, but I am very happy with the results.

Quick Reply: What's the point of CAI-type intakes in a 996?