996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cary/Apex Coffee and Bagels

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:02 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Ferrari guys are doing another meet & great at Brier Creek on July 5 at 9 AM. I'd like to meet ya'all in Apex, but I also want to get the stepson to join me, and the chances of me getting him up that early on a Saturday are pretty slim...

Michael
Old 06-27-2008, 04:11 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The Ferrari guys event is the now-standard first Saturday of the month expansion of the Hurricane Region Koffee Klatsch. This thing began growing in big leaps starting last winter when Hurricane 928 guru Ray Munsch moved the event from Caribou Coffee, where it started informally with just a few 928 guys, to Camilles.

Now the first Saturdays can see upwards of 100 cars - from Porsche and Ferrari to Alfa, Maserati, Aston-Martin, Jaguar, and all sorts of other stuff - crazy TVR racecar was a hit a few months ago. The Cobra guys are showing up as well. Great fun. The event is somewhat weather-dependent.

More car fun, brought to you by Hurricane Region, PCA!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:32 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OK - I hate to sound like a broken record, but here it goes...I think the Camilles function is great. But, THIS thread is about a Cary/Apex coffee gathering. As you know, the folks out here attend the Camille's function whenever possible - maybe even today. But, we don't every week because it's an hour or more of highway drive time for many of us to/from the location.

Wouldn't it make sense to post a Camille's Hurricane Region thread instead of frequently posting in this thread? I think you'd reach a lot more people in the Triangle who are closer to Brier Creek if you posted a thread that had "Brier Creek, NC" or "Raleigh Durham" or "Triangle" or "Hurricane PCA" in the subject line. I'd post it, but I'm in Carolinas PCA and I like to attend my local gathering.

Do you see the my point?

Bob
Old 06-28-2008, 01:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Have to agree with Bob on this one. If you Hurricane guys want to advertise your get-togethers then do so in another thread. Bob has set this one up for guys in the Cary/Apex area and it's very poor etiquette to keep jumping in on his thread to promote another event. If you want him to pass along the word send him an email and he will post or let the guys know accordingly if you don't want to start your own thread.

Last edited by LVDell; 07-05-2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-28-2008, 08:57 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Dell.

By the way, I'm in Charlotte and I just took a stroll through the garage at the Westin. It's an incredible collection of Porsches from the early 1960s to the latest turbo. Really an amazing sight. I left the 996 at home so I could ride with the family. I'm fairly certain that the Honda Odyssey will not be in the parade I'll get you a GT3 momento from the event.

I'll post pictures and link to videos when I get home on Tuesday. I will definitely be at the Bean & Bagel on July 5th. Any chance you'll be there?

Bob
Old 06-28-2008, 09:41 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Here's the PM I rec'd from Ralph of Hurricane Region - this is EXACTLY why I left the region. I'm am fed up with being diplomatic about this. It's been 6 months of this crap!

Subject: Touchy, Touchy

Dear Bob,

Here is a simple fact: Wake County is part of Hurricane Region. Hold your event in Chatham County, Chapel Hill, or Durham and I won't say a word. Now, you say that you are just having a little gathering for people who might not want to go "all the way" to Briar Creek. But, by holding these 'Triangle' Carolinas Region events in another region and recruiting people online you confuse potential new PCA members. I spoke to two people at the spring concours who did not know there were so many PCA events in the Triangle. They had mistakenly joined Carolinas.

As for the thread... you have mentioned Camille's and other Hurricane events numerous times. I see no problem in adding additional information for potential PCA members who are not familiar with all of the events right here in their own backyard.

Regards,

Ralph

*** I have never met with such territorialism from a PCA member - not in 4 PCA regions. How can 5 or 6 people from Cary/Apex become such a fixation for anyone? It's a social gathering! The people who come to the Bean & Bagel simply don't want to drive to Camille's every weekend - no matter how good the gathering is. That's all there is to it.

Bottom line, whatever positive feelings I have for getting to know the folks at Camille's is being eliminated by this infantile, childish debate. As a Porsche owner, I have the right to meet friends who happen to own Porsches wherever the hell I want. If I no one wants to show up at our local place, that's fine too. I'll still be there.

Bob
Old 06-29-2008, 07:39 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Ralph, I hold BOTH a Hurricane region membership AND a Carolinas region membership so I think I am entitled to my opinion on this one. Yes, I pay for two PCA memberships just so I can support BOTH regions so don't be such a ***** about this.

If Carolinas region members want to meet for Coffee on a Saturday morning then they can do it WHEREVER they want to.

If you want to make sure that is held true to your requirement of not being allowed to step foot outside of a regions county boundary then I'll tell you what........we'll move our small coffee gathering of a couple Porsche enthusiasts a couple miles up the road so we are out of "your" county but only if you make sure and more your monthly dinner meeting out of "our" county. Why is it that you have your dinner meeting in Durham which is part of Carolinas region "territory"??? I have attached a map of the Triangle so others can see how stupid you are being about this. Point B is your dinner meeting spot in Durham county which is Carolinas region. Point A is where a couple of us get together for coffee just a couple miles east of Chatham county. So if you want us to move our little get together, then by your requirements, you need to move your dinner meeting. And don't get me started about your charity concours at the Ingram collection that you hold in Durham. Shouldn't THAT be a Carolinas event then?

This is one of those classic kettle-pot moments Ralph. So either you can be a hypocrite or you can offer Bob an apology.

This is an excerpt from the Hurricane membership part of the website. It seems that this is probably meant for those people that would be in the triangle and live in Carolinas region:
If you are as passionate about Porsche cars as we are, then do not hesitate to join now by contacting our Membership Chair. If you are not yet a member of Porsche Club of America, go to PCA's website and tell them you want to join the Hurricane Region. If you don't mention the Hurricane Region, they may automatically assign you to another North Carolina region. Several regions in the country overlap, which is why it is best to let them know you wish to specifically join Hurricane.
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 06-29-2008, 09:25 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Dell - you made it all crystal clear. I'm a little slow....I finally get it. I was too pissed to think it through.

Ralph's PMs to me confirm that there is a "turf war" regarding the domain of the Hurricane and Carolinas regions of PCA. I HAD NO IDEA - I guess I should have read the Hurricane PCA website more closely. So, based on one Hurricane officer's perspective, I've infiltrated someone's territory. I thought it was just a car club. Maybe this is how the Crips and the Bloods got started with their infamous conflict.

So, I'm just interested in Porsches - that's all. Anyone else interested in Porsches, meet me at the Bean & Bagel in Apex. I really don't mind if you're Carolinas, Hurricane, Peachstate, Midsouth....you get the picture. I participate in this debate.

Bob
Old 06-29-2008, 09:27 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

OOPS! I meant to say that "I will NOT participate" in this debate.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:04 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Heh, heh. Apparently I stirred up a little controversy. I was just trying to help spread the word.

FWIW, years ago when I was quite the track rat, a friend of mine expressed frustration with one or the other of these PCA groups, and refused to do a school with group "A" and would only work with group "B". It doesn't matter which is which, the whole thing is just silly. And it's stupid crap like that that kept me from renewing my PCA membership.

However, I keep my BMW CCA membership going even when I don't have a BMW. Those folks are pretty cool, overall, and even let you drive non-BMWs at their events! Wow. What a concept.

Anyway, hope to meet some of you guys and gals at one of these events, somewhere. I'll be the one with the Porsche.

Michael
Old 06-29-2008, 11:16 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Hey, Michael - It wasn't your post that created an issue. I can assure you of that.

I hope to meet you some time.

Bob
Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

I'm at Parade in Charlotte, and it has been amazing. Today, I'm headed to the Heritage display that the factory has put together - historic Porsches! Then, I'm headed home after 4 terrific days at Parade.

If you're in town for the 4th of July weekend, I will be at the Bean & Bagel in Apex bright and early Saturday morning. Hope to see you there!

Bob
Attached Images   
Old 07-04-2008, 08:56 PM
SparkyRacer
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOT an early-bird!!!

I'm planning on swinging by around 9:00 tomorrow -- hopefully someone will still be around.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I'll probably be there around 9 as well...

Quick Reply: Cary/Apex Coffee and Bagels